What's new

Prometheus (2012) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We saw Girl w/Dragon Tatoo today and they played this trailer. WOWSER! It looks better on the big screen than it does in a quicklime or youtube video.:)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
It looks better on the big screen than it does in a quicklime or youtube video.:)
That's part of the reason why I quit watching trailers online. I go to the movies frequently enough that I catch nearly every trailer that I want to see but, of course, I really want to see the Prometheus trailer so I haven't seen it yet (and I've been to probably 7 movies in the last 2 weeks or so). I'm getting ready to start sneaking into other theaters to watch the trailers. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Guy Pierce? Cool. I'll have to watch this tonight. Looks interesting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just watched the Ted clip. Is that an actual scene from
Prometheus or just a tie-in promo to the film?

Very cool nonetheless.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Apparantly a separate tie-in, not a part of the film.

DarkHorizons had a little tidbit today that also explained that this could be the "link" between films that has been hinted at for so long.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That doesn't make sense. There is a ton of stuff in that trailer alone that links b oth movies.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Agreed. I'm not sure what to make of it. They deliberately plant imagery, music, and even set pieces (!) that are undoubtedly related in the trailer, then try to downplay the link...

His claim that it's a "new monster" could still be valid (weakly, no doubt) if you consider that each generation of xenomorph adopts characteristics of its host, and presumably, Prometheus would tell the story of an earlier generation of alien than what was depicted in the later films.

Clearly, too, events take place on LV-426, so where, exactly the "new world" comes into play, I'm not sure, unless the movie's climax is a certain crash, so events start out in an otherwise new location.

I know, it's weak, but I think we all know the link HAS to be stronger than what he's gone on record saying.

I'm flashing back to Obi Wan Kenobi in Jedi... "What I told you was true, from a certain point of view."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't know what to believe. So many have said this is a prequel
to Aliens. Ridley says it isn't. The trailer shows so many obvious
tie-ins. Who is telling the truth? Guess that's part of the mystery.

Guess I'm going to have to keep an open mind till the film's opening.

This is my must-see film of the year next to The Dark Knight.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what to believe. So many have said this is a prequel
to Aliens. Ridley says it isn't. The trailer shows so many obvious
tie-ins. Who is telling the truth? Guess that's part of the mystery.
Maybe it's Ridley trying to temper expectations. Maybe some people are using the term "prequel" too liberally. All I can reasonably conclude from the trailers and what's been publicly revealed about the film is that it seems pretty clear that the movie takes place in the same universe as the Alien series and that there will be some links to the original Alien (for example, in the trailer, you clearly see the chair, or at least one identical, to the one that the Space Jockey was sitting in on the Derelict in the original Alien). But I still can't help but feel that people who are expecting this movie to be "Alien Zero" may be in for disappointment.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason Charlton said:
And also don't forget how long it took before Ridley finally confirmed what everyone already knew about Deckard?
Don't assume that everyone knew or believes that Deckard is a replicant, regardless of of Scott's sorry "revelation". That is all I will say about that subject. As for the trailer, I didn't see anything particulary fresh as far as cinematic science fiction goes. It just looks like more of the same look that has populated cinema Sci-Fi since the release of the original ALIEN. The only difference is that it is one of the pioneers of that style that has decided to rehash old ground and seems incapable of coming up with anything new in terms of design. Apparently in far future we can traverse space but armored vehicle design reached its apex in the 21st Century, since all the vehicles look like they wouldn't be out of place in an Iraq war movie. Judging by the trailer, this film doesn't look like a prequel to me. The ship interiors looked cleaner and higher tech. They actually reminded me of a melange of 2001:ASO, STAR TREK:TNG and the original NOSTROMO. This film looks like it actually takes place well after the events in the original two movies and involves a crew that is trying to retrace history.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
After? Could you expand on your reasoning.
Partly, it's because of the tagline of looking for our beginnings, but it's also because the technology of the ship and the suits look like refinements on the originals. In ALIEN, the ship looked cruder and the suits were way bulkier and more awkward. In this iteration, the ship interiors look more streamlined and the hibernation pods look much higher tech. The suits they are wearing have a lot of elements of the originals, but are much more streamlined and maneuverable. That seems to indicate an evolution of the technology from the time of the NOSTROMO; although, it is not definitive as the look of the ship in the first film could just mean that technology devolved from the time this installment takes place. Still, this film looks like a sequel to me. The vibe of this film feels like a crew in the future attempting to rediscover events in humanity's past. The "urns" instead of "pods" are problematic as that would suggest a "prequel"; although, it makes me wonder if he is following a timeline where the company succeeded in weaponizing the aliens and then the technology was "lost".

WillG

Senior HTF Member
but it's also because the technology of the ship and the suits look like refinements on the originals. In ALIEN, the ship looked cruder and the suits were way bulkier and more awkward. In this iteration, the ship interiors look more streamlined and the hibernation pods look much higher tech. The suits they are wearing have a lot of elements of the originals, but are much more streamlined and maneuverable. That seems to indicate an evolution of the technology from the time of the NOSTROMO;
One thing you have to remember about the Nostromo is that is was essentially an interstellar 18-wheeler. By that logic, it should look crude, grimy, old, beat up etc. Right now, you can buy cars that are all sorts of sleek and have all sorts of neat displays and do-dads and what not. There are cars out that that can apparently parallel park themselves. Tractor Trailers don't seem to have changed much over the years. They're certainly not or ever have been sleek and I would imagine they don't have elegant displays, leather interior, faux wood paneling and the like. What we're seeing in Prometheus could be some kind of state of the art scientific research vessel.
Also, and not that it is a great example, but a lot of the technology in the Star Wars OT seems to have "devolved" from the PT.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Will that would have been my point too.
The Nostromo was a crude ship, it was a Mack Truck and cargo vehicle.
As for the uniforms they do look advanced so maybe the movie takes place in the future and the past of Alien.
I see the past to Alien when I see that giant "U" shaped ship crashing down into what appears to be the same place as the one in Alien.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Maybe this movie does take place after Alien and is about a crew traveling back in time to investigate the events of "Alien" and they end up causing the crash that sets those events in motion. Just a thought. Then you would get that cool time loop thingy where the events in Alien would never have happened if the crew in Prometheus hadn't traveled back in time but, if the events in Alien never happened then the crew in Prometheus would never have traveled back in time.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Or maybe the Shimagu-Dominguez Corporation actually built the Nostromo during the initial plunge into the off-world colonies and Wayland-Yutani ended up with it after some sort of leveraged buyout, electing only to slightly update the system bios warm-up and doing it so sloppily that they managed to misspell their own name!

...yes I like to think Blade Runner and Alien are set in the same universe (if only because BR reused a lot of video displays from Alien).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks