What's new

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) (1 Viewer)

Stephen_Dar

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film a lot, I would give it . Just as a Terminator film I felt it was a bit disappointing and ultimately unnecessary.
Can you clarify how it's possible to be bored all the way through a movie, having seen it all and done it before, and then come out and say this??

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The ending at first was cool, in a Twilight Zone sort of way, but upon closer examination I'm not happy at all with how things turned out. I always imagined John Connor being a slave to the robots and rebelling against them, becoming a great military leader. Instead he's just some guy that just happens to be standing next to a microphone and a speaker. That doesn't make him a very compelling character. I have no desire to see how this plays out.

Neil

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I was really impressed with how "solid" the action sequences were - again & again, they went out of their way to make sure both Terminators appeared as solid hunks of metal that bashed & destroyed everything they collided with. No gravity defying wire tricks, no super slow motion bullet effects.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Apropos the musical score...it was an atrocity, but the one thing that annoyed me the most was during most of the tense scenes the music that played was very reminscent of music from horror movies, in particular Scream.

I haven't the slightest idea why Brad Fidel didn't score the film. Anyone know the reason?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Stephen

Reread my post. Where did I say I was bored?

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
If you didn't like T2, I doubt you will like T3. And I think it is neither smarter nor dumber than most films of its ilk. It's just there. A good action film, an O.K. Terminator film.
I believe I said I enjoyed T2 tremendously, but I have more problems with the movie than I do with T1. If T3 is like T2 was to me (lots of plot holes, annoying/underdeveloped characters, repetitive plot) I'll still enjoy it for what it is; an action movie that hopefully doesn't insult my intelligence too much.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wasn't speaking directly to you Marvin, just viewers in general.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone else notice Awnuld getting kind of more emotional in this film? Especially when he gets mad and smashes the car before he shuts down and other parts.

The line that really stood out for me and kind of got me teary was when John Conner goes under that blast door and says "Thank You" and Awnuld says "We'll meet again", or something like that. That to me gave me a sense of emotion or something I dont know.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
We'll meet again meaning that Ahnuld will eventually kill him!
so the line has a dark twist to it as do many of the lines upon closer examination. The script is actually very layered with double meanings and visual clues of things to come, homages to past T films, etc...I for one am VERY happy with how it turned out. :emoji_thumbsup:

Neil: He's not just a guy next to a microphone, the whole point of the film (or one of them) was that there was no way to avoid it, HE IS THE LEADER, judgment day WILL happen, and there's nothing they can do about it; it makes his characters' slow transformation into accepting his fate quite memorable, and makes me REALLY want to know how things turn out (T4). Remember, they tried as hard as they could to stop Judgement Day, Skynet, etc., altering the time line several times already starting with T1, then T2, but in the end, HE is going to be the leader, one way or another. And his acceptance of that fate at the end is both sad and chilling, much more inline with the uncertain, melancholy tone at the end of T1 as Sarah drives toward that storm.

Of course, YMMV, obviously! :)

-Dennis

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I though this movie was absolutely amazing... SFX were some of the best I have ever seen, and Arnold is back , and better than ever!!! Simply awesome flick!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Dennis, just because that's how the film set up and presented the situation doesn't mean I have to like it. I really don't think that just accepting his fate makes John Connor a compelling character. I want to see a strong character who takes charge of his situation, not one that inadvertently winds up in a nuclear fall out shelter.

Neil

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
To me, this film feels like a polished version (CGI-wise) of a first or second draft of what could have been a better film.

Yes, there's action in the film, but I don't think it's got a lot of humanity in it at all. That was one of the primal strengths of the earlier films.

Kate did have the best line in the film (I forget, something along the lines of "Just die you bitch!"), but just where did Kate get all those moves (when she disarmed John and threw his punk ass into the cage so quick. She's got some mad unexplained skills for a lady working at an animal hospital. Sure, she must have been an Air Force brat, but still... You had to wonder "Of all of the animal hospitals I could have broken into for some painkillers..."

I think the pacing is simply too quick in the film, and they might have deleted some good character background scenes which would have made some more sense of the later scenes. Mostow the director doesn't really mine the material as well as he could have, and the dramatic points have less impact, perhaps because they are too telegraphed, maybe. Like when it's revealed that John gets it from the T-101 (Ahnuld) that's now trying to keep him alive (the irony of sustaining John's life in the here and now after already killing John's future self, getting re-programmed and is sent back to keep him alive to be killed later again), that moment needed either more buildup, or less of a pause when setting up that relevation, have the T-101 state it just like any other emotionless fact, and then show the emotional wallop John suffers from such a BTTF relevatory moment.

Was Skynet really inevitable in John's lifetime? You're left with hope in the first 2 films, but not so in the 3rd, and it seems to trade such bleakness for more sequels.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
I also didn't find the musical score to be any good. Why no Brad Fidel? During the crane chase, there was no music at all! Why?
OoooooooKaaaay.............. I am no musical expert in the least but once again let's get real. After reviewing The Terminator on DVD the score was not all that. I know that we all have our own opinions but I have never been impressed with what sounded to me like someone beating on a garbage can. With that said, I did appreciate the opening and closing credits score. As far as beautiful scores go check out Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Time and Tide, Robotech, Malcolm X and to an extent HULK. I was extremely impressed with the score for HULK as it really surprised me.

By the way, the crane chase spoke for itself. It did not need any music to heighten the moment. I think that that scene is as good if not better than the freeway scene in Reloaded.

I say all the above to say that I really enjoyed the movie. I was surprised that it was that good. It definitely exceeded my expectations. All this talk of blasphemy is funny to me. Based on what I have been reading here I went back to watch The Terminator and will watch T2 tonight. If my feelings are different I will post back. But I do remember young John Conner annoying the MOFO'ing hell out of me. But I was impressed with militant Sarah Conner

djb

todd stone

Screenwriter
diallo b: i actually thought that "just die you bitch" line was HORRIBLE and acted poorly, a lot of others thought so too in the theater.

What happened to the damn score of this movie? Just pathetic.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
OK, just got back. Way exceeded my expectations, I enjoyed it more than The Hulk. It sounded really awesome.

I must admit I don't remember much from T2 and I am not even sure if I have seen the first one. I found myself asking my friends many questions most likely because of this. I hope you can help with my struggles:

-The Terminator said his CPU was manipulated and reprogrammed by future humans thus becoming good, so what does he mean he is from an assembly line? How are there multiples of him, did the humans find out how to emulate him in the future?
-Why aren't more terminators sent to protect both of them?
-How are John and Claire Daine's character supposed to meet like this, it is supposedly inevitable, yet they're brought together because of the Terminator, how would it happen otherwise?
-How is the future not altered from its preselected natural course when Arnold is telling them everything that happens. (Just like in BttF, the future could not affect the past [which leads to a difference in the then future] thus creating a paradox).
-Is there a significance with 10 years?
-Was Skynet manipulated in the beginning to start the virus, or was it just getting smarter and naturally wanting domination?
-Why doesn't the Terminator go way back in the day and prevent digital evolution?
-What was stopped in T2 which prevented Judgement Day.

I am still trying to digest T3, I really enjoyed it.
I am sorry if my questions seem too complex, this is just my initial take. Thank you, I appreciate it.

-Bert

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Is anybody seeing large crowds at the Theaters today?

My Theater, a very large one on Long Island was like a ghost town this morning/afternoon.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
John: Most people (that can get in to see an R rated film) were still working today...and tomorrow...grrrr... :D Night time is the right time for R rated films, and weekends is when they make the most bank typically...

Neil: That's why I said YMMV. Now, I don't think that by just accepting his fate, it made him "interesting", I just liked the burned out, off the grid loner than John Conner became because of what happened, it was very believable IMO, and probably realistic given how screwed up the kid's whole childhood was. But alas, no problemo, in the end it's all subjective anyway... :)

-Dennis

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
This was a truly solid action film with some solid ideas and kick-ass action. Not to mention, I LOVED the ending.

But, I can't help but be a LITTLE disappointed. This film COULD have been great. It COULD have been better than 1 or 2. How? Instead of mirroring every beat of T2, how about riffing more off of T1? Delving more deeply into the relationship between John and Brewster? I think there was a LOT there they could have played with some more...but, they only skimmed the surface.

Another near miss was the way they utilized the "evil" Arnold Terminator. He's "evil" for what? 10 minutes? 5? The whole third act should have been Connor and Brewster running from BOTH Terminators and figuring out how to survive while the terminators hinder each other slightly just because they are two behemoths. Too many chefs theory. He could have still come around at the last second so he could save the day and deliver the great "We'll meet again" line.

Add to those two improvements a better score (where is Brad Fiedel when you need him??) and this movie would have BLOWN YOU AWAY!!!

As it is, it far exceeded my expectations and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I think the ending did it for me. Perfect.

Some answers to questions:

Ahhhh...it seems from this question that you haven't seen 1 or 2? First advice: SEE THEM. They are classics. I won't spoil it.

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
Some of you have gotten spoiled by recent movies and their musical scores. I agree, go back and see TERMINATOR and hear the music. God the music through whole movie just SUCKS!!! sounds like a video game from atari or some crap lol..

In fact the first Terminator was ALL just a chase, so was second, theres no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks