What's new

King Kong (2005) (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
So do you guys think it would be a bit to early to start a thread for Peter Jackson's next film, The Lovely Bones? I just finished the book today and loved it. Trying to decide who I'd cast in the main roles... maybe Naomi Watts for the mother. Kids, I have no idea, as the story covers about 8 years and I don't think you could use just one actor for that time period.

Anyway, great book, check it out if you haven't

Now back on topic :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I will be posting a review after some sleep. It is too long and it is indulgent. It takes a while to get going, and PJ goes to 11 on everything, sometimes against better judgement.

And it emotionally hit me as hard any film this year (save the realities of The Constant Gardener). My minor gripes faded after a short while, and the film earns back any concerns and worries tenfold.

It features the best action sequence in some time...one that can sit beside anything in any film ever. It also has an ending that is a straight, and beautiful, lift from Cameron's TITANIC (with a little Khazad-Dum thrown in)
for the most crucial scene in the film.

It's not perfect, but I loved it, and so did my inner 9 year old.

A proper review in a few hours,
Chuck

Mike.P

Second Unit
I'm echoing chuck exactly on this one. Even to say I'll post my review tomorrow, including some major minor nitpicks (if that makes ANY sense).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I went to the 12:01 a.m. show too. As others have stated, the first 50 minutes or so are slow, but once they reached Skull Island it really takes off. A great film in which Peter Jackson actually enhanced the storyline in some areas.

Crawdaddy

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

Hope you slept well. Looking forward to your review. Just wanted to let you know I was also pissed about "Come What May" not being nominated. My wife and I sang that song as our vows at our wedding so it has a special place in our hearts. It was very funny, but last night we were watching Queer Eye For the Straight Guy and there was a wedding episode on. Not only was the photographer from our wedding used in that wedding, but "Come What May" was the song selected for their first dance.

Now back on topic - I cannot wait to see Kong, but will have to wait until Friday. Jealous of all who get to see it sooner, but thrilled that I get the opportunity to practice one of life's greatest virtues - patience. All right, scratch that - I'm pissed I can't see it tonight!

Cheers,

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Jason,
I did not :D About two broken hours.

And my wife and I regret not using Come What May in our wedding, but it wasn't available in the format I liked (from the second CD) - we got married in early 2002. I've heard it used several times since. MR is a film I love fiercely :D

Off to the review,
Chuck

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Gone With the Wind would go over easy. Sergio Leone, OTOH, would not. I've seen way too many people go nuts while trying to watch The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West. "Goddamnit! This is a one hour movie and this bastard is making it three! What the @!#$! is his problem!?" :)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I only care about the length of a movie if there is a lot of filler. If what's up there is compelling, I'll sit there and enjoy it no matter how long it is.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I felt some of it was filler. I'll admit that. None of it was bad. Maybe it was because it was 1 AM, I don't know.

In the end, it's completely irrelevant. What I found to be minor filler some might think essential.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "King Kong" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "King Kong" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Chuck:

With the LOTR:EE, the additional material was great because:

1) the plot and characters were already so compelling that you wanted more; and
2) they were based on popular (and lengthy) books that have lots of great material.

So, I didn't feel like any of the stuff was filler.

KONG seems a bit different, however, because it is based on the 1933 film which was 100 minutes long (watched it last night, by the way, and it is easily one of my all time top 20 favorites). There isn't a lot of extra material to work with, especially for people that have never seen the 1933 film.

Kami

Screenwriter
Doesn't sound too bad if you gave it a 9.5 ;)

Very well written review. Do you have the urge to see it again any time soon? I know PJs films can be exhausting on many levels (in a good way), but all of the LOTRs had the most effect on me the second viewing for some reason. It's just so much to take in at once.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Hey first post!!!! Hahahahaha. Not really...all thanks to a Crawdaddy snip.

I cut the review off but there was so much more to say. The music wasn't terribly distinctive until the last hour, and then it was excellent.

The action scene I mentioned is the KONG/V-Rex fight, and it's one for the books.

PJ really needs to make an R-rated horror film. He keeps slipping in horror elements, and he's not afraid of body counts :D The Natives attack sequence was rather harrowing and nightmarish, and I'd be interested to see something similar without the PG-13 safety net. And I'm not even a horror guy.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Kami,
I really want to see it again: it's a rich feast of a film, I had to take a wicked leak in the last hour, and because I might have been hard on the first hour. I'd like to be sure. But it's an emotionally exhausting film (it was last night), so I can wait until the weekend. I do vow to see it twice more because it's such a big screen treat.

Chris,
Not everything that happens in the middle hour is plot-centric...it's PJ having fun on Skull Island. Some of the beginning material is good stuff, but not critical path. I'd definitely watch a longer version of this film, but I don't think anything major is missing (unless it deals with Jamie Bell a little more). The LOTR films needed the EEs in some cases. KK doesn't need more material.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Lot of the horror-centric critics' reviews I've read have compared the natives in this version to the natives encountered in Italian cannibal films. Never thought I'd see something like that in a big Hollywood production :)

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
It has been so difficult to avoid reading or watching reviews about King Kong. But I can always count on HTF to give initial impressions without spoiling anything. I can't wait to see this on the big screen and sure enough will see it more than once.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Great review, Chuck. I won't be seeing this until Sunday (!), but good to know folks whose film opinions I respect are giving it enthusiastic recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks