What's new

Iron Man (2008) (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

A great score is never intrusive.

If one thinks that a great score for IronMan would not elevate it to a higher level like William's score(s) did for SuperMan then it quickly brings this discussion to an end.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Other than Back in Black and Iron Man at the end, I don't remember a lick of music from the film. Like others, I didn't miss it and it didn't hurt the film, but I can see the point where a thrilling score could only have made things better.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, I must have seen a different Iron Man then some here because I thought the score was overbearing at times and one of the worst scores I've heard in recent memories. Then again, I'm a huge movie score fan (with a collection of over 600 scores) and always make a point to listen for the score during a movie.

I've really been disappointed in superhero scores recently. I miss the days when superheros would get a great hero theme (like Superman, Burton's Batman and even Spider-man). I'm not a huge Batman Begins score fan for that reason as well, there is just not a great standout hero theme. I mean, even Judge Dredd got a decent theme from Slivestri back in the day.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think it is really funny to use Black Sabbath's IRON MAN for the end credits. Sabbath's song is the anti-thesis to IRON MAN as a hero. Other than that the music in this film isn't all that memorable. Personally, I think modern films use too much music. Sometimes, it seems like film makers think there has to be mood setting music for every thing, including going to the toilet.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After listening, I wouldn't be beating my feet to the store to buy the disc. To me, it is serviceable but not particularly memorable or inspired enough to warrant repeat listening without its accompanying visuals.

Now the soundtrack to something like AMELIE is different. I can sit down and listen to that soundtrack repeatedly without ever needing to watch the film.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Something about this film reminded of X3 (which I liked more than most here.)

Iron Man sticks pretty close to the formula of the superhero origin flick. The only surprise in the movie is that the bad guy didn't take the love interest hostage at some point...

A debut played very safely, but RDJ, the FX, and the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously make it quite watchable. I'll be there for the sequel.

--
H

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Yeah. As I recall, Sabbath's song is a homage to the Ted Hughes story The Iron Man. It's cute that they used for it for the Iron Man soundtrack but it has nothing to do with the character.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Someone may know but, it could have been as simple as the director just not liking what Goldsmith had done or they couldn't see eye to eye. Scores being rejected or composers being replaced, unfortunately, is quite common. Goldsmith had a few scores rejected during his career another of which was for the movie Timeline. I don't like Goldsmith's Timeline score so, I don't blame them there. Howard Shore had a score reject for Ransom that I think is better then what James Horner through together for the movie. Of course, Shore most recently had his score for Jackson's King Kong rejected which ended up being scored by James Newton Howard. Alan Silvestri was originally hired to score Pirates of the Caribbean but, was fired. Gabriel Yard wrote a far superior score then James Horner for the movie Troy that was directed. Yard's score is magnificent and would have help the movie bit time IMO. It is also one of those scores that I could have easily seen competing for an Oscar if it hadn't been replaced.

This is a good website dedicated to rejected film scores: Rejected Film & TV Scores - The Main Page

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Patrick captures much of what I felt. For me, every detail was just off that, on the whole, gave an entirely uninteresting movie. The enemies -- some Elbonian clan and a corporate rival -- lacked menace and urgency. The realism of Tony Stark's world was undercut by the cartoony physics and his impossible hyper-MacGyvering of weapons systems. The romantic tension was lacking all chemistry. It was one of those oddities where, by all measures, it should be a rollicking good time, but it's just dull.

I really wanted to enjoy this movie -- I wanted a good action fix this weekend, but it wasn't there.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This deserves its own thread really. It's not that I can't afford movies, it's that I don't want to. I can pay $20 to see a movie, and possibly be disappointed by it (as with Iron Man). Or I can stay home and watch Tivo, a movie on DVD, or any of 30 unwatched TV seasons on DVD (that are better than most all current "blockbusters"). And then there's video games. Or board games. Or other hobbies. And that's not even thinking about housework and career-work and family.

Theaters aren't enough of a priority -- or that much fun compared to all the other leisure options available to be worth more than about one movie a month.

And my friends with kids -- two movies a year if they're lucky.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Just got around to seeing IM last night, and I had a great time. One thing I didn't care for was the speed at which the villain (Obadiah) was able to learn to use his suit. Unless I missed something, it seems as though it would have taken some practice (as Tony Stark had in several scenes). Also, instead of the explosion at the end killing the villain, I would have preferred the icing problem be the kill scene. I think it would have been the perfect climax.

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
This was my favorite movie so far this year - I'll definitely get the DVD. I think it did justice the the original comic...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Iron Man was released 10 years ago today.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicboo...n-man-movie-ten-year-anniversary-release-mcu/

I’ve always thought it was one of Marvel”s best and after revisiting it recently I still hold that opinion. And boy, the journey this thing started!

CE622859-7C0F-4E4F-962C-319798F340B2.gif

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And boy, the journey this thing started!

When Iron Man was released, Sam Raimi still had every intention of directing Tobey McGuire in a fourth Spider-Man film. And we all know how that worked out.

All this to say, if you had told me ten years ago that I would still be watching movies with this combination of character and actor in a decade, I would not have believed you -- much less that spinoffs not even featuring the character but set in the same world would still be a thing.

Also, for some reason, I haven't seen the original Iron Man since its theatrical release. I'd love to buy it, but all the Marvel catalog titles are $24.99 "on sale" around here, which seems really steep to me for the ones I want that I'm missing.

(I wonder, too, if they might put together a 10th Anniversary Edition this fall?)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
When Iron Man was released, Sam Raimi still had every intention of directing Tobey McGuire in a fourth Spider-Man film. And we all know how that worked out.

All this to say, if you had told me ten years ago that I would still be watching movies with this combination of character and actor in a decade, I would not have believed you -- much less that spinoffs not even featuring the character but set in the same world would still be a thing.

Also, for some reason, I haven't seen the original Iron Man since its theatrical release. I'd love to buy it, but all the Marvel catalog titles are $24.99 "on sale" around here, which seems really steep to me for the ones I want that I'm missing.

(I wonder, too, if they might put together a 10th Anniversary Edition this fall?)

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 10th anniversary edition. This got a German UHD release last year (?) but it is due for an official US UHD release and this would seem to be the appropriate year for it.

You could do an online rental:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stream-marvel-movies-in-order/

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You could do an online rental

Thanks. I could do that, but then I'd just be throwing more money after something that I already know I want to buy at some point, which would be more wasteful than just plucking down the $24.99 my local stores are asking for it. I think I'll wait until around the end of the year and see if there is a new edition forthcoming, which would also inevitably have release date discounts. If not, then I'll probably just grit my teeth and buckle down and pay for it.

The Blu-ray release of Infinity War (or, if they're not ready yet, perhaps the theatrical release of Avengers 4 next year) would be a logical time for Disney to start rolling out some of the MCU catalog films on UHD. I highly doubt that they would put them all out at once, since it would make more sense to space them out a bit, but the more popular ones and/or the ones that tie in most directly to the current storyline would make sense to start with. We'll see.

I now wish that I had gotten Paramount's original 2-disc Iron Man Blu-ray from 2008 with extras that are not likely to resurface in such a comprehensive fashion, but i'm weary of trying to track it down now due to the possibility of getting a bootleg and/or paying an exorbitant price for it. Live and learn, I guess. At the time, it felt like a very fun superhero movie, but I didn't really understand yet what a cinematic landmark it would become in launching the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks