Microsoft defends the Xbox One’s licensing, used game policies

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kevin Collins, Jun 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins Owner, from The Other Washington
    Owner

Kevin Collins
    It's interesting how Microsoft's Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi tried to defend the licensing policy for XBox one... "This is a big change, consumers don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand." He even went on to say that the reaction from consumers was "kind of as we expected."

The pitch the Mehdi is trying to make is that the need for physical disc isn't something that will be moving forward. Much like the industry believes that optical disc for movies will become obsolete. Of course, members of this forum don't believe that, but we are kind of fighting a losing battle with the broader consumer base. Mehdi states "We're trying to do something pretty big in terms of moving the industry forward for console gaming into the digital world. We believe the digital world is the future, and we believe digital is better."

If I think about it, I don't know of many people that collect game discs, like we collect movie optical discs. Also, there isn't going to be a difference in quality of the game if it is being streamed from the Internet or played via a disc. While there is a difference in online movies vs. physical disc, it isn't the same for game titles. So, in some regards, I actually think that it is an interesting value proposition. I have never sold any of my game discs, so I can't say that I am in the camp that would be all up in arms about not being able to sell my game discs or buy a used disc. Of course, when I can get most XBox titles at the company store for a good discount, that doesn't really come in as a factor...

What do you think?

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    If the games are cheaper digitally, then yes, it is a value proposition. But there is no indication that will be the case, which means they're just gouging the consumer.

There are a lot of kids who play video games, and if I'm their parent, especially if I'm not a gamer myself, I would never sink the kind of money they're looking for into the X1 if there is a clearly better, more economical alternative out there. What sucks for MS? There IS.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Maybe if they start selling 99-cent game levels/ chapters, like song downloads, discless gaming will have value for consumers. At this time, it has negative value for me. I trade in games and buy used games. Contrary to the apparent beliefs of the gang at Microsoft, my personal gaming budget is not going to magically expand to support dropping $60 on every game.

Of course, at my age, my current PS3 and Wii library will hold me until well after I've shuffled off this mortal coil. But I'm thinking of the children! :)

4. sean1976

sean1976 Stunt Coordinator

Sean H
    I think Microsoft should stop selling this as if they are doing us a favour. Look at the last sentence - WE'RE trying to do blah blah bla, WE believe blah blah blah. Whatever THEY believe, their consumers seem to believe differently if the outcry against the xbox one is any indication. Whether or not the future of gaming IS in the cloud, right now everyone want's physical media - a sense of ownership, and the ability to do with it as they please ( sell, trade, buy used , play offline). It takes a lot of nerve to tell a customer 1. you can't have anything you want because OUR way is better and 2. I'll tell you what WE want and you'll take it. Oh, AND we charge more. The nerve alone is galling to me. Just my 2 cents :)

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I have no problem with everything being cloud based if the price for the game dropped, it won't, i do sell things on, helps to pay for buying future tech, i'm not really keen on a console that has to be hooked to the internet once every 24 hours because that could present an issue if my internet develops a fault because something goes down at the local exchange and they can't trace it straight away, sometimes those things can take weeks to fix.

Also the price, the PS4 has GDDR5 memory, a faster GPU too and yet the Xbox One is more expensive, i guess Microsoft are not subsidising as much as Sony, i was actually wanting Nintendo to come back into the game and compete with both of the big boys, they failed.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Sony said they are making a small profit and not subsidizing the PS4. I guess they got a better deal with AMD or MS is gouging customers more. Maybe Kinect 2 is THAT expensive?

Things being cloud based is fine...for PC games. For console games that aren't MMOs (where you expect a long-but-finite length of game time) I worry about a day when you literally can't pop a game in and play it because the servers are gone and its a single-player game.

WinstonCely likes this.
  7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Ditto.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Repost from shady site:

9. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I love how he keeps comparing to steam. But a few notes:

* If Steam goes down, my computer doesn't become unusable.
    * In fact, a lot of games I've bought on steam play just fine in Offline mode when I'm travelling.
    * Steam doesn't require a camera to be connected to use.
    * Steam has no yearly fee to use it.
    * You can turn it off is countermanded by the fact it still has to connect once a day.

I don't know, from where I sit the idea of a steam-based system on a Console where the games are in a nearly uncopiable Blu-Ray format, I don't understand the benefits at all, outside of f-- the customer.

sean1976 likes this.
  10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Steam basically launched with Half-Life 2. I have a brand new computer, actually its 2 brand new computers since then. It's been 10 years. I can load up steam and play HL2 and it runs fine.

My big concern with Xbox One is: who says I'll still have access to Xbox One's servers in 10, 15, 20 years? I will be able to play PS4 disc-based games until I am unable to find a working console, but that won't work for the Xbox One. The XBL and PSN (heck, even Wii/Wii U/3DS) online stores allow people to download games in a "steam-like" system, so why is that not good enough but a disc-based market is? Downloadable games remove the DRM, used game, and internet-requirement issues, so why couldn't they just say you can use discs AND digital downloads?

If the price of games is so high because of used and stuff, why not incentivize digital sales (which cannot be traded in) by offering discounts on the digital versions? Simply making a game available as a download lowers the cost to deliver it to the customer to basically nothing so that should be reflected. Sony does this on the PS Vita (digital games are 10% cheaper than in-store) and its been working really well.

Basically, I think MS took the worst approach to get the best end result and seem surprised people are unhappy with it.

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

That spew makes me want to buy an XBOX1 even less. All that tells me is how arrogant the drones working for MicroSoft really are.He actually thinks it's a good idea that MicroSoft should "own" our living rooms. Maybe he likes that idea, but I don't. I'm getting sick of these Megacorps always trying to gain a monopoly so that they are the only game in town. He's also an asshole, referring to people who don't want to swallow MicroSoft's Kool-Aid as simple minded.
    The NSA and all the other too many letter government agencies would love MicroSoft to own our living rooms too. It would make it so much easier for them to vacuum up even more our data either with or with out MicroSoft's help.

sean1976 likes this.
  12. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Almost all the guys I game with were primarily Xbox players only, now with the Xbox1 almost 80% are preordering a Playstation 4. Microsoft really screwed this one up.

13. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    So this person thinks that kids will be taking their XBox1 to school and connecting it there or parents to work? That is where the "speck of internet at least once a day" comes from for most people.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Are we equally paranoid about Sony? Don't they have the same capability?The PlayStation 4 Eye camera takes a cue from Microsoft’s Kinect controller, utilizing a second camera for increased depth-sensing capabilities, providing an 85 degree viewing angle with a fixed F2.0 focus, and captures images in RAW and YUV formats with a maximum resolution of 1280x800 at 60fps. Additional resolutions are 640x400 at 120fps and 320x192 at 240fps. The camera also includes a 4-channel microphone array.

15. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I love the sneering tone towards the little people who don't have an HDTV for even the XBox 360. All of these complainers -- they don't deserve to buy the XBOne.

Fucking little people. They're the worst, The world would be so much better without them.

Oh, didn't the majority of XBox 360 sales happen after price drops and the wide availability of used games? MS doesn't want their business anymore.

TravisR likes this.
  16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    What is the current position on reselling and lending games on XBOX? I'm talking with a friend who is positive that the message on no used games was an errant MS employee who was fired promptly after that. I thought MS had double downed on no used sales, no lending. But quickly skimming this thread again , I'm not sure what was said or confirmed?

17. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Big difference, though, Dave. The PS4 Eye is optional.. and even if you have it, you can unplug it, put it in a drawer.. and the system still works.
    Disconnect the Kinect and the XBOX One doesn't function (period)

18. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Ok, here's the thing:
    You can sell to someone who is in your friends list for at least 30 days. The sale will then need to wipe any copy of information off your drive which they handle, and there -may- or -may not- be a fee that would be owed back to the original provider (like an EA or whoever)
    The second hit with that is that since that would be a "new" transaction, no one has any idea of if you'd be responsible for the sales tax on it, check your state for that one.

As far as lending goes, it's basically none. It's yours or you get rid of it, you can't loan it out, and there will be no rental system (gamefly, redbox, etc.) for it.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Hrmmm.....didn't appreciate the kinect was necessary. It looks neat, but don't know if it will work in my room, etc. The used sales and lending are complicated. Needing to have the buyer be a 'friend' means no eBay, so no used games sold. But it makes for a burdensome lending system. I want to like the Xbox one, but they're not giving a good meta message.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've lost track of which thread has the ps4 price: does the $399 include the eye?