What's new

Miami Vice (2006) (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
As a massive fan of Heat and Collateral, I already know I'll love this film. Saw the trailer in front of King Kong. :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
[rant]"Come see these two faces!"[/rant]
miami-vice-poster.jpg

I just love these face only covers. This isn't even the dvd, yet!
Oh yeah, there is a little Miami Vice mixed in with Farrell and Foxx.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The shot of them in the car would have made an awesome poster. But I'm a fan of the show and will definitely see this. The synopsis actually makes it sound intriguing and I want to see how it plays out. Gong Li as Cuban-Chinese? Interesting.

-

Cassy_w

Second Unit
That poster sucks. I am flat out sick and tired of FACE posters. They tell me nothing about the movie at all.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Its Miami Vice, if you have seen the show, you know it is about drugs, women, fast cars and a partnership, what else do you need to know about the movie? Those two faces will help sell the movie to people who aren't fans of the series. I think the die hards they know they already have so its a good way to draw in new people.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Jason, as I'm sure you know, Michael Mann is most definitely NOT Michael Bay. There won't be rat-screwing jokes or embalmed bodies flying around in the streets.
I most certanly am aware of that. Granted those two things were very OTT, but I've always thought that Michael Bay always got a bum rap. He fills the niche of loud dumb enjoyable action movies...I don't think he should be killed for that.

I'm sure that Miami Vice will be great, but I'm not quite a fan of the video-ey look of Collateral...I much like the crispness of the Star Wars Episode 3 videography.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Mann isn't well served by the vertical poster format. If it were me, I'd get some skyscrapers and palm trees in there.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Jason, thanks for clarifying your position. I'm glad you don't mind Michael Bay. He is a great guilty pleasure of mine. Although in my mind he does not approach Michael Mann (esp in terms of content), he can sure as hell frame a shot. The Island is a beautiful, beautiful film to look at.

As a side note, Mann is one of Bay's biggest heroes.

Regards,

Nathan

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Michael Mann is a blind buy at the theaters for me.

I have yet to be disappointed, even with subject matter I am not all that interested in (Ali), he is a gifted director and forces his audience to be attentive. I would say "rewards" his audience for being attentive.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yet another big screen rehash of a TV series. Many people (including me) are tired of it, but judging from this thread, Hollywood has reason to think it's fine to keep doing it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, Robert, it was a Michael Mann TV show, and now it's a Michael Mann movie. So, the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

I'll gladly take the blame for another Michael Mann film,

Chuck

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. If this was a 'Dukes of Hazzard' type rehash (and lets face it, material as dated as 'Miami Vice' is ripe for it) then I'd see RobertR's point. But an update to the series from the guy who not only created it but has since gone on to have an incredible track record with this type of material? Count me in.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Yet another big screen rehash of a TV series. Many people (including me) are tired of it, but judging from this thread, Hollywood has reason to think it's fine to keep doing it."

Yea I wouldnt lump this in with other stuff like Dukes,Bewitched,Starsky & Hutch or whatever.

Im hoping its great.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Yet another big screen rehash of a TV series.
It is interesting that this, or the idea that Miami Vice will be some sort of camp remake of the TV series, seems to be a knee-jerk reaction of a lot of people. (Not so much at HTF, but out in "John Q. Public")
I know that I'm mostly preaching to the choir, but this is a Michael Mann picture, people. ;)
If you think it will some lousy, remake, camp-fest, may I suggest you immediatly watch:
>Heat
>Collateral
Then, for good measure, watch:
>The Insider
>Ali
>Last of the Mohicans
>Manhunter
Like others, I'm a HUGE Michael Mann fan... his visual style and storytelling technique, especially when it comes to gritty, urban tales (see, of course, Heat and Collateral) is truly unique.
Can't wait for Miami Vice! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike.P

Second Unit
When I first saw the trailer, I rolled my eyes at the idea of another remake.
But with such quality names attached to the product, I can't help but be intrigued.
Will also be nice to see many of the landmarks from the town I'm next to when at school :).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't think of this as another in the long line of crappy remakes from Hollywood, since Mann is elite and this was always his baby.

But, the nightmares on the shoot certainly have me worried.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Here's what I'm saying: I

Is Michael Mann a great director...yes.

Did he create the original series and direct that...yes.

Will he get the mood and tone right....yes.

But none of that is the point. Miami vice is Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs fighting crime in the seedy yet glamorous Miami of the early 80's. While this project has a lot of things going for it, it is not set in this Miami with actors who fit the characters that did it first and in my opinion best. Sometimes lightning strikes only once and you can't catch in a bottle as Hollywood is wont to do. Lots of remakes are good movies, some even great and I think Michael Mann will make a good movie but it won't be Miami Vice to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks