What's new

Official HTF Western Appreciation Thread (2 Viewers)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Tino: Kinda agree with you on Shane, it's just "ok" in my book. Glad you liked Jubal, I definitely think it's overlooked. Have you seen "Ride the High Country" with Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea? One of the best IMHO. Two old western pros, in their finest performances, with a VERY young Mariette Hartley, James Drury in his pre-Virginian days, John Anderson, LQ Jones, and the GREAT Warren Oates. Great cast.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Both Donovan's Reef and Ride The High Country are unavailable on blu ray. What's up with that?

Prefer to buy but Maybe I'll rent them.

Just ordered The Big Trail. Anyone see it. Raoul Walsh 1930 western filmed in widescreen "Grandeur". Starring the Duke.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I first saw The Big Trail in its flat version (35mm) and was bored stiff. Then I saw the Grandeur version (35mm reduction) and was truly impressed. Same film but such different reactions. The wide screen compositions really make it an outstanding production.
As for Ride the High Country, it's a shame that it's not out on blu, for it's an archetypal Western, one of the best. I'll be happy to discuss this movie with you once you watch it. I had a medieval literature professor who compared this film to a tale of aging knight errants.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Tino, back to The Big Trail. At this stage of his career, John Wayne was still very inexperienced. Therefore, Marguerite Churchill, his leading lady (and later wife to George O'Brien), having more stage and screen experience, helped him deliver a more polished performance.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That's Interesting Bujaki. I ordered The Big Trail as a result of an extra on the Commancheros blu-ray "The Duke at Fox" which chronicled Wayne's career at 20th Century Fox. It looked interesting, especially in "Grandeur" wide screen. Should have it by Friday.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I bought The Big Trail earlier in the year (was curious about the 70mm "Grandeur" version) but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I did compared the first five minutes of both versions, and the widescreen version was stunning by comparison to the 1.33:1 version.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I picked up The Big Trail a few years ago when BB had a Father's Day Sale ($4.99). I was intrigued by the note, "John Wayne's First Starring Role". He was adequate in his role, but I was thoroughly overwhelmed by the Grandeur Vision presentation. Only being some 50 odd years after the stories timeline, it felt more like a documentary than a film. Most of the spectacle involving the move west was utterly spectacular. The story showed signs of still being new to the sound process and some antics come across as being "silent film"ish, but overall a very interesting watch.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Doug felt The Big Trail was documentary-like. That is very true. There were people around that still could drive those prairie schooners, not those smallish wagons one sees on later movies. It is also worth noting that each version has its own DP, and Arthur Edeson (Casablanca) does a remarkable job on the Grandeur version. You must view each film as a different entity telling the same story.
If you live in NY, MoMA owns both versions; that's where I saw them a long time ago.

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
There are now two Blu-ray Region B releases of 'Canyon Passage' and one all region release. Any comparison reviews?

The DVDBeaver review of the new Panamint release has screen captures that look rather dark and drab compared to the earlier Universal DVD release.

The earlier Koch Blu-ray release has some favorable reviews on the German Amazon site but the images posted there, although they look good, are small making it difficult to judge the disc's image quality.

I have the Koch releases of 'The Tall Men' and 'Western Union' -- both look and sound great -- but my Sony player doesn't handle their 'Canyon Passage' disc. Is a puzzlement.

Last edited:

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Both Donovan's Reef and Ride The High Country are unavailable on blu ray. What's up with that?

Super annoying. Bot will be day one upgrades for me on my DVD's. Ride the High Country is on a different level above, in my opinion.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Watched John Ford's THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

What a different kind of film and western for Ford and Wayne.

Less epic than usual however much richer in characterizations. Pretty much felt like a TV film with major movie stars. A character study of violence and fear and how to combat both.

Jimmy Stewart gives a great performance as does Lee Marvin as the title character. Wayne is pretty much a supporting character to Stewart. His broken heart scene of rampage was one of the best scenes in the film.

I liked it fine though not as much as I had hoped I would.

⭐⭐⭐️Out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Time to restart after taking a break. Next up is McLintock with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I haven't. I started it and I see it's more lighthearted and not so traditional.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just finished McLintock

I thought it was a very lighthearted comedy/western about..........spanking? Indian rights? Young love? Mud. Lots of mud.

The Duke and Maureen O'Hara have a great natural chemistry that helps the film along.

I much prefer the more serious Wayne Westerns. This one was a bit too farcical and silly for my taste.

Next up

THE PROFESSIONALS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks