What's new

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
There's really only two differences in the first 10 minutes of the film that they put online: 1. The extra shot of the gun in Martha's face, 2. The additional children at Wayne Financial.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron

If this guy is accurate about the EE, then I'll be okay with it. Sounds like it helps the movie make more sense. I liked BvS more than MoS.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm very curious to see this, and I've got the disc pre-ordered - I hate this online "early release" stuff. I'm buying the most premium version of the disc available so I've got to wait three weeks, but if I had been okay with settling for a digital only version I could have it now. And that disc will come with a coupon for the digital copy that people can buy now, but I can't access that coupon until then. So annoying.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm very curious to see this, and I've got the disc pre-ordered - I hate this online "early release" stuff. I'm buying the most premium version of the disc available so I've got to wait three weeks, but if I had been okay with settling for a digital only version I could have it now. And that disc will come with a coupon for the digital copy that people can buy now, but I can't access that coupon until then. So annoying.
My advice: Buy it twice. WB will appreciate it:D

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My advice: Buy it twice. WB will appreciate it:D

Yeah, not gonna happen.

I'm not advocating this, but it's so easy to find and download pirated content that I'm kinda surprised they do stuff like this. Doesn't this just inspire people who already paid for the disc and aren't allowed to have it yet to learn how to pirate stuff?

I maybe could have been persuaded to throw $5 in for a rental, but I don't see why I should have to pay an extra $20. The disc will come with a digital copy anyway. I wish they'd allow people to redeem it early.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm looking forward to this as well.

I liked the theatrical cut with reservations. I definitely felt like the editing, pacing, and some motivations were lacking. I'd love it if the extended cut fleshed things out and gave it a better flow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm looking forward to this as well.

I liked the theatrical cut with reservations. I definitely felt like the editing, pacing, and some motivations were lacking. I'd love it if the extended cut fleshed things out and gave it a better flow.

I'm looking forward to seeing it for the same reasons. I recognize this isn't the Batman or Superman story I'd choose to tell if I was the one making it, but I still wanted to enjoy it. I don't think it necessarily succeeded on its own terms (nevermind what they might be), and I'm hopeful the longer version will at least remedy that.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I finally watched this for the first time. The extended cut is what I saw and have not seen the theatrical.

I loved Man of Steel, I gave it 9/10. I was engaged and elevated (with some reservations).

Not with this one. I give it 6 at best. It was not engaging and I didn't care. Motivations were very vague and illogical. Seeing different superheroes join together with no backstory and start to punch each other is the last thing I want. I also don't like Marvel movies with multiple superheroes. I want a story and not just people punching each other.

Last edited:

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Haven't seen the theatrical version. Just finished the extended and I certainly enjoyed it. The 'CGI monster of the week' was not half as bad as I feared. Satisfied; solid movie!

Am left pondering who out in space will have heard Lex's bells...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The new 3 hour director's cut of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice turns a jumbled mess of disconnected scenes into a coherent narrative that paradoxically feels less padded than the theatrical release. The incoherent editing of the shorter version ruined all the rhythm and momentum, whereas the extra 30 minutes of connective tissue gives the movie a flow and pace that puts it somewhere in the neighborhood of a good film.

I didn't hate the theatrical version because I liked some of the set pieces as standalone moments. But I enjoyed the director's cut in toto. I have no idea why they massacred the theatrical release. Maybe 30 minutes run time allowed theaters to squeeze in one more showing, but they would have made a lot more money if movie goers weren't so turned off by it. I understand the DC received an R, but I can't fathom why. Besides, most of what made the DC work was exposition, not violence or language. I'm sure they could have excised the few seconds that warranted an R rather than butcher it altogether.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Saw the Ultimate Cut version. Film flowed OK and Snyder definitely knows how to create visually arresting moments.

But the tonal problems that started in Man of Steel continue here and in a movie about superheroes there is nothing heroic to partake of. This DC iteration does not inspire, it depresses.

What a dreary and joyless mess of a universe Snyder has wrought.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I like the world Snyder has created. It's a refreshing change from the Marvel style (which I like too).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was just looking at the 3D version and it says the extended cut is included, but it's not clear to me if the extended cut is in 3D. Anyone know?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The only version in 3D is the theatrical cut. If you buy the 3D Blu-ray package, you get the theatrical version in 2D and 3D, and the extended version in 2D.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Check Robert Harris' "A few words about..." thread in the Blu/UHD forum. There's info there about what version is included in which package.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about-™-batman-v-superman-extended-in-4k-uhd-blu-ray.348480/#post-4396737
Talk about service, the link even goes to the relevant post. After reading it I can only say "aw crap." The 3D is theatrical only and I want 3D but mosts posts here say the extended is a better move which is flat only. And if you wan't 4K and 3D you're really out of luck. Who the F.... makes these stupid decisions?

Hollywood is doing everything it can to kill 3D. A.. holes. :angry:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I think what people are inspired by plays a big factor. I get inspired by seeing my heroes pushed to the edge and still overcoming in the end (Snyder's approach).
I do too. But in this iteration they go beyond the edge and become indistinguishable from the antagonists.

And once the line is crossed they are forever tarnished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks