What's new

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:
Disappointed with this - Man of Steel had enough problems that needed addressing in the next film and now they are throwing in Batman ? And this does indeed feel like its being rushed and shows a lack of confidence in the performance of Man of Steel ( it may not have met BO expectations domestically but it seems to have done pretty well internationally). They needed at least one more standalone Superman film and I would also argue for another standalone Batman film to establish the tone of that reboot before throwing them together.
I agree as well. And while I have no problem conceptually with an older Batman, it doesn't make much sense within the Man of Steel universe. It seemed pretty damn clear to me in that movie that Superman was the world's first superhero. If he'd seen Batman's exploits from Gotham City on the news, you'd like he would have fashioned an alter-ego a lot sooner.

A big part of why The Avengers was so successful was because Marvel spent five movies establishing all of the characters before they threw them together. Yes, The Incredible Hulk was hamstrung a bit by the recasting and Hawkeye's only pre-Avengers appearance was a cameo in Thor, but you knew who everybody was and where they were coming from before you saw them in the same room together.

Warner Bros seems to think they can skip the build-up and cut right to the Avengers level chase.

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Freddie Zaragoza
MattBradley said:
So if this rumor is true and he does accept the offer, imagine what the budget of movie would be like? $300M? More? No doubt it'll have a huge opening but if it goes on the same trajectory as MOS, will it make enough to earn a decent profit? Even including foreign BO?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Freddie Z said:
So if this rumor is true and he does accept the offer, imagine what the budget of movie would be like? $300M? More? No doubt it'll have a huge opening but if it goes on the same trajectory as MOS, will it make enough to earn a decent profit? Even including foreign BO?
Ridiculous money, i don't think Christian Bale is the reason the last two Batman movies made over a billion each at the box office, they should spend wisely and work on a good script, try and keep the budget reasonable, Bale doesn't need the cash and i think he will turn them down if that rumour is true.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I read somewhere that the 50mil rumor to Bale was debunked. Although, I am sure they are trying. Another rumor has Orlando Bloom as Bats. The only thing we truly know is that until they formally announce who will play Bats. Nobody knows anything.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
If true, I'd imagine Bale being like this:

bale1_zps3d19f504.gif

...And then:

bale2_zps9143b0a9.gif

50 MILLION DOLLARS!! 50 MILLION DOLLARS!! 50 MILLION DOLLARS!! 50 MILLION DOLLARS!! 50 MILLION DOLLARS!!

The weird thing is, this almost seems win-win for both Warner Brothers AND Christian Bale, no matter the outcome.

Warner Brothers:

- If Bale does come back, then they'll have gotten back the headlining star of one of the most profitable and popular franchises of the past decade.

- If Bale doesn't come back, then Warner Brothers can say, "Hey, we tried!" They then save themselves $50 million in salary, have a clean slate for the role, and can spin it off into a new reboot/vision for the Batman franchise.

Christian Bale:

- If Bale does come back, he gets a cool $50 million paycheck. No one will hold it against him for that amount of money. He can then spend the rest of his career doing the smaller, riskier movies he obviously prefers, because he and his family are already set for life financially.

- If Bale doesn't come back, then no one will blame him, because he has already "paid his dues" for the franchise. He'll get even more respect and street-cred for being an "artist," and not a "money-hungry celebrity." Plus, at this point in his career, Christian Bale no longer needs the Batman role like he did back in 2005.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, I'd imagine it's probably a $50 million combined deal for both Batman vs. Superman AND Justice League, or essentially $25 mil per movie. I could be wrong, though.

(That must be one uncomfortable damn suit if you don't want to put it on again for $50 million.)

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
It's all Nolan. Nolan doesn't want his version of Batman to exist in the same universe as aliens with superpowers. It's understandable, but if Bale really IS turning down $50 million just to please Nolan, they are either the best friends EVER or Nolan has incriminating photos of Bale. It seems pointless to me because if you promote a Batman/Superman movie as being "from the producers of The Dark Knight Trilogy and the director of Man of Steel" (as the undoubtedly will), then 80% of the audience is going to assume it's the same Batman regardless of whether Bale plays him or not. People are used to seeing Batman recast, after all. There were a lot of people who couldn't understand that Batman Begins wasn't a prequel to Batman '89....the idea that Batman vs. Superman will contain the same Superman from Man of Steel, but a different Batman from the very recent and very popular Dark Knight movies, is probably beyond the comprehension of Joe Moviegoer. In any case, Judi Dench continued playing M in the Daniel Craig Bond movies, despite them clearly being a different and rebooted continuity from the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies, and no ones' head exploded. Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen Brooks said:
but if Bale really IS turning down $50 million just to please Nolan, they are either the best friends EVER or Nolan has incriminating photos of Bale.
It's not photo's he has, it's the anger management session tapes which keep Bale in line.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Stephen Brooks said:
It's all Nolan. Nolan doesn't want his version of Batman to exist in the same universe as aliens with superpowers. It's understandable, but if Bale really IS turning down $50 million just to please Nolan, they are either the best friends EVER or Nolan has incriminating photos of Bale.It seems pointless to me because if you promote a Batman/Superman movie as being "from the producers of The Dark Knight Trilogy and the director of Man of Steel" (as the undoubtedly will), then 80% of the audience is going to assume it's the same Batman regardless of whether Bale plays him or not. People are used to seeing Batman recast, after all. There were a lot of people who couldn't understand that Batman Begins wasn't a prequel to Batman '89....the idea that Batman vs. Superman will contain the same Superman from Man of Steel, but a different Batman from the very recent and very popular Dark Knight movies, is probably beyond the comprehension of Joe Moviegoer.In any case, Judi Dench continued playing M in the Daniel Craig Bond movies, despite them clearly being a different and rebooted continuity from the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies, and no ones' head exploded.Sent from my SCH-S738C using HTF mobile app
Yeah, there will be some confused by it, but they'll get over it if they enjoy the movie.

Another advantage recasting the role and breaking away from the Nolan continuity has is that it can allow for them to re-introduce The Joker with slightly less Ledger comparison baggage in, say, Justice League 2 or so with a different take on the character yet again.

What I want to know is.... who's coming up with this mediocre-to-terrible list of casting possibilities for Wayne/Batman? They claim to be going for a slightly older Batman, one who has been around the block, maybe late 30s/early 40s; an actor that can pull off the suave Bruce Wayne public persona, the haunted Wayne private persona, and the physical threat along with the psychological terror/darkness that is The Batman. Someone that could believably stand up to a perceived threat that an alien being like Superman represents, but ultimately comes to trust the Man of Steel.

Come on Warner Bros., you have a perfect choice staring you in the face if you ever happen to watch HBO: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, aka Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
You white?You Ben Affleck.Wow. I love Ben, but he is all sorts of wrong for this. They must have promised him some plum directing gig (Justice League?) for this. George Reeves and Batman.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah right. Affleck has worked hard to rebuild his career over the past several years but if this movie is bad or if he doesn't work then he'll just be setting himself back. I really don't care who plays him and I'm willing to give Affleck the benefit of the doubt but I really hope it works for him.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Yeah right. Affleck has worked hard to rebuild his career over the past several years but if this movie is bad or if he doesn't work then he'll just be setting himself back. I really don't care who plays him and I'm willing to give Affleck the benefit of the doubt but I really hope it works for him.
That pretty much sums my thoughts too. For the last number of years, Ben Affleck has been making movies that seemed more concerned about 'art' over commerce (as much as you can with a studio picture anyway) and now he's doing some dumb mega-budget superhero movie? I wish him and the movie the best of luck but dressing up in some goofy costume just seems like a big step backward for a guy who should be focused on directing.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I tend to keep an open mind about casting news like this. I know a lot of people hold Daredevil against him and there is no doubt he had a rough acting stretch there for a while, but he seemed to right the ship with Hollywoodland and has been pretty solid since.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Not sure how I feel about Ben Affleck being cast as Bruce Wayne. He's a talented director and a decent actor, but I wouldn't have ever thought of him as a likely choice for the next Batman. Do WB/Synder have such confidence in him in this role, thinking he'll bring something special that it is worth the fan grumbling now because everyone will love him in the movie when they see it?Or were they so out of touch with their target audience that they didn't expect that there would be this kind of negative fan reaction and expected people to be happy because they cast an Oscar winner?I'd like to think its the former, but it it's more likely the latter. So, do you think he'll do some crazy bulking up for the role, or will they just half-ass it and give him a muscle suit? Hopefully he'll consult Hugh Jackman for some training tips.Hopefully his directing skill (even though he's not directing the film), decent acting chops, and affection for the genre will bring something positive to the project. But damn did WB just set themselves up for two years of of Internet hate!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks