"A Sunday In the Country" (Un dimanche à la campagne) 1984 French classic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Tom St Jones, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Second Unit

Thomas
    Anyone hear any hints that this masterwork, directed by Bertrand Tavernier, may get released sometime in the not-too-distant future?
    I've waited forever for this to surface on Blu or at least a remastered DVD. The only Region 1 DVD release I know of (and which is now long OOP) was released by kino in 2002, so maybe they still have the rights? If not, perhaps Criterion would likely get it (which would be awesome)? The film, as it appeared on the Kino disc (which was non-anamorphic), appeared to be much in need of a restoration or at least a new mastering. The picture had a very yellow-brown push to it and the already-muted colors appeared a bit washed-out (unless this was the intention of the filmmakers. have looked into this, but so far haven't found out one way or the other)

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

If you have a region free player, there's a handsome 16x9 wide screen transfer (1.66) available from France with optional English subtitles from Studio Canal.

3. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Second Unit

Thomas
    Thanks. I looked up worldwide releases on Blu-ray.com but didn't find anything. Will check this out for sure.

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

It's not a blu but you did say, "at least a remastered DVD".

Tom St Jones likes this.
  5. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Second Unit

Thomas
    Yes, I stand reminded :). The French DVD you've pointed out for me looks good (from here). Still, this film needs to receive a properly-mastered HD release. This year - or what remains of it - marks the film's 30th anniversary. Certainly as good a time as any.

6. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Wow 30 years........I vividly remember seeing it when it first came out; it has always been one of my favorites - the lead actress Sabine Azema gave such a vivacious performance, I recall her winning awards in Europe at the time for the film, as did Bertrand Tavernier. It was a huge art-house hit here in New York and I recall it being very beautifully photographed. I would love for Criterion to get this film. I still cannot believe it has been 30 years!

7. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    This film, among countless others, is why I'm in love with non-Hollywood cinema.

8. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Second Unit

Thomas
    Time doesn't take bathroom breaks :>]

9. Brian McP

Brian McP Second Unit

Brian
    I prefer "Sunday in the Country" starring Ernest Borgnine and Michael J. Pollard....

Tom St Jones likes this.