What's new

A Scanner Darkly (2006) (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Did this actually get released? I don't think I saw any commercials for it in my area. It must have slipped under the radar.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, but it didn't do all that well, making only about $5.5 million in the US. I imagine this will definitely end up in the "cult film" category.

However, it is being released on DVD in just over a week, so be sure to check it out then.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Thanks for the info. I was looking forward to seeing it but never saw any ads. I had just assumed it hadn't been released yet. I'll definitely check out the DVD.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Glad this is finally out on DVD, it never made it to my local theater. It certainly did get some very mixed reviews.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
) Richard Linklater's animated take on Philip K. Dick's novel concerns a new brain altering drug called Substance D. The futuristic plot is somewhat similar to that of BLADE RUNNER in a way. A cop Bob Arktor (Keanu Reeves) is sent to uncover who is distributing the hallucinogen. Arktor begins to doubt his own reality as he falls under the hold of the narcotic. As with his prior WAKING LIFE, Linklater used a form of rotoscoping to create his look. Live action was shot and then laid some free form animation over it, giving it a natural 'hallucinatory' feel (this year's APOLLO 10 1/2 used a similar technique although it is less free flowing looking than his earlier two animated movies). It's an effective style which dovetails well with the narrative. Linklater got permission from the Dick estate and his screenplay captures the paranoia that the author brought to his autobiographical novel. In addition to Reeves, the cast includes Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson and Rory Cochrane.

A SCANNER DARKLY is currently available to stream on Kanopy and for rental at all the usual outlets. It's on DVD and Blu Ray.

Attachments

• scanner2.jpg
    scanner2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 20

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
) Richard Linklater's animated take on Philip K. Dick's novel concerns a new brain altering drug called Substance D. The futuristic plot is somewhat similar to that of BLADE RUNNER in a way. A cop Bob Arktor (Keanu Reeves) is sent to uncover who is distributing the hallucinogen. Arktor begins to doubt his own reality as he falls under the hold of the narcotic. As with his prior WAKING LIFE, Linklater used a form of rotoscoping to create his look. Live action was shot and then laid some free form animation over it, giving it a natural 'hallucinatory' feel (this year's APOLLO 10 1/2 used a similar technique although it is less free flowing looking than his earlier two animated movies). It's an effective style which dovetails well with the narrative. Linklater got permission from the Dick estate and his screenplay captures the paranoia that the author brought to his autobiographical novel. In addition to Reeves, the cast includes Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson and Rory Cochrane.

A SCANNER DARKLY is currently available to stream on Kanopy and for rental at all the usual outlets. It's on DVD and Blu Ray.

Saw this in theaters way back when. Loved it and have the blu. One of my sort of humorous recollections of the film was before it came out (or right around when it did) I was at a friend's house and he had ordered Dominos pizza for the kids, or one of the chain pizza places, and the boxes were full color ads for this film. I kind of found that interesting marketing as this was not a picture kids or even most adults would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks