What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Suspicion -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Viewing Hitchcock's brilliant 1941 Suspicion via Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is one of those wonderful events, that brings to mind an original pristine 35mm print.

The image harvest, color, clean-up, stabilization and other of the other small miracles performed, are so perfect that one can not only easily see the shift from original to dupe, but the overall definition, grain structure, black level and shadow detail along with it.

Suspicion is a perfect Blu-ray.

The film was his first of four with Cary Grant, his fourth American production, second for RKO, and second with Joan Fontaine, who had played "I" in Rebecca. Whether because of her work in Rebecca or as an added inducement to the Academy, she received the Best Actress award for her work in Suspicion.

The film was further nominated as Best Picture, and Best Music by Franz Waxman.

Long ago, I learned about the ucipital mapilary from Suspicion, along with how to make a glass of milk stand out.

One of the great Hitchcock's.

If you're unfamiliar, just grab a copy and enjoy.

And if you wonder what Warner Archive has been up to...

there's more to come!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Great news, but does it look exactly like it did in 1941? And don't fib and say you weren't there... :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Great news, but does it look exactly like it did in 1941? And don't fib and say you weren't there... :)

As far as I can tell, it's very close.

My disc came with a warning to keep away from open flames or high heat.

Seriously, in 4k projection, you can see the original, very fine, grain structure.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I like the movie, but I cannot stand it whenever Grant calls Fontaine "Monkeyface."

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I've always felt that Joan's Oscar was awarded for "Rebecca" (which she should have won - Ginger in "Kitty Foyle"... I'm sorry, but apples and oranges) as much as it was for "Suspicion". Both films were really top tier for her.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Very excited for this. Haven't seen the movie in probably ten years, and I'm also on a major Cary Grant kick right now. The timing could not have been better!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yippee! Warner Archive is doing some great discs. Thanks for the review, RAH.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
An essential purchase and an immediate one. I didn't buy the DVD because I heard it wasn't any good so I'm delighted this Blu-ray disc is close to perfection..

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What a pleasant surprise !!
I had no idea that "Suspicion" was on the roster for releases.
How did I miss out on that one?

As for Sandy Dennis?
Let me tell the HTF membership this one.
I met her in the 1980's and watched her teach for a couple of hours.
Endearing in "Up The Down Staircase" and perfect with Jack Lemmon in "The Out-of-Towners";
But man, oh, man...in person she was actually damned sexy.
Jeans tucked into leather boots that went all the way up to her knees.
Lovely, lovely smile;
warm, infectious and welcoming;
and framed by a long, full and wavy head of blown-dry hair.
Never being the star-struck type, I couldn't keep my eyes off of her; whereas before I never viewed her in that light.
She even appeared to be much, much younger in the 80's than she did in her films from the mid to late 60's;
as we were all seated up close and around her in fold-out chairs.
Her shy and inhibited wall-flower characters were totally opposite of this woman in the room.
I tellin' you all, it was then that I discovered just how great an actress she really was.
Talk about a sweet November.

Anyway, I am not afraid of Virginia Woolf.
But I am afraid of both WAC and RAH.
BOTH have successfully taken me off of my spending budget, as set from a few weeks ago.
My 401 K's have all been converted into 4K's
Another purchase is at hand.
"Woolf" and "Suspicion"...full steam ahead.:)

Last edited:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Warner Archive is on a definite roll (they have been for quite some time) ! Had it in my shopping cart but just pushed the button - at this rate, my credit card is soon going to take Mr. Harris off of it's xmas card list real soon :)

Regards,

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Always been a huge Sandy Dennis fan. Up the Down Staircase was a seminal book for me since I wanted to be a teacher from the time I was very small, and the movie did it justice.

Thanks for sharing that up close and personal experience, Philip.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You're welcome, "Teach".

P.S. Your reviews on this forum have placed you in a larger classroom than you may ever have imagined.
Just ask RAH, if you don't believe me.;)

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The film was his first of four with Cary Grant, his fourth American production, second for RKO, and second with Joan Fontaine, who had played "I" in Rebecca. Whether because of her work in Rebecca or as an added inducement to the Academy, she received the Best Actress award for her work in Suspicion.
Prior to the Hitchcock film, Orson Welles presented Rebecca on his radio show, The Campbell Playhouse (sponsored successor to the Mercury Theater). Throughout the show, he told audiences that Daphne du Maurier would join them at the end of the broadcast by transoceanic cable to reveal the name of the heroine. The authoress did just that, and informed the audience that the name of the heroine was--Mrs. Max DeWinter.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
How do you feel about Sandy Dennis, then...
I actually thought that Sandy was pretty sexy, in spite of (or maybe because of) her odd manner of speaking. She could be irritating , but I think intentionally so, in movies like THE OUT OF TOWNERS, but her vulnerability in THE FOX and UP THE DOWNSTAIR CASE worked just fine for me. She was only 54 when died from ovarian cancer. What a waste.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I hope Mr. and Mrs. Smith is somewhere in the pipeline. It's amazing to me that Hitchcock was able to an American screwball comedy so well, considering this was his first and only attempt at the genre, and he'd only been in America for a few years at this point. Of course having the lovely Carole Lombard as a lead surely helped...

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
And if you wonder what Warner Archive has been up to...

there's more to come!

That's great news, in anyone's book.

When I look at what they've done so far, I just think 'boxed sets and collections'.

I think Warner have replaced all of my old UK Warner-Hitchcock DVDs with Blu-ray Disc, apart from Stage Fright, so I hope that's up soon.

They appear to be working their way through the first film noir DVD box, so I'm hoping for Gun Crazy and The Set-Up.

And while we're talking boxes, I immediately think of Val Lewton. The Seventh Victim (along with all the others) would be smashing.

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks