A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last of the Mohicans -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

And some of us disagree with you.
    Vincent

2. RobHam

RobHam Stunt Coordinator

David - the reason from my perspective for this coming back up is that the same transfer was finally released in the UK on 26th Nov, and I only got to watch it for the first time on Friday night.
    In the end, the only way I was able to watch it at calibration settings was with the Dynamic Contrast activated.
    There are many low/natural light BD's out there (Outland, Interview with the Vampire etc), and I've found the best way to view these is via a darkened room - this was the first time I've had to use "gizmos" on the TV to compensate.
    Interestingly RAH in his original post refers to "well tuned systems" - I'm left wondering if a new ISF-calibrated mid-range TV just 'aint cutting it when it comes to presenting this level of low-light information.

3. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

And some will disagree with you. The disc is way too dark on my calibrated Kuro 60 inch monitor. To each their own.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I hope so as this back and forth is not getting us anywhere.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I would like to swap blu-rays with Vincent P and back again just to make sure they all look alike.

6. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Exactly, to each their own. I think it's a gorgeous Blu-ray, and so does Robert Harris and Robert Crawford and others in this thread, while others disagree and think it's too dark.
    Vincent

7. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

To Richard--W:
    Why single me out? Why not ask to trade discs with others in this thread who think it looks great?
    Vincent

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Maybe some of these discs went out defective.

9. Flemming Kristensen

Just got my projector cleaned (JVC X9, native contrast 1:100.000). Prism and all, and new lamp and saw this movie again.

This is probably one of the five most beautiful transfers I've seen. Being a foreigner, I almost always have english subtitles on. But being such a dark transfer, the white subtitles constantly gets my eyes flickering and I can't "get into the darkness". But having the subtitles off, my oh my, what fantastic scenes. Even in the darkest ones, it feels like being there. Sometimes just seeing pupils lighten up.

I've had visitors entering my room complaining about the transfer, but none doing so leaving again.

Dan_Shane likes this.
  10. Dan_Shane

Dan_Shane Stunt Coordinator

Dan Shane
    Now you've done it. I know what I will be watching this weekend in a very dark room. I remember the first time I spun the disc my jaw dropped at the "you-are-there" quality of the natural lighting. Time to revisit one of my favorite and best-looking films.

11. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    So natural lighting is...dark. It's not something I've ever noticed. Maybe they should have a warning on the BD case - Projectors only...in a very dark room.

I'll keep on fighting the good fight :)

12. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Natural lighting is fine. Kubrick's Barry Lyndon comes to mind. That said I've seen Last of the Mohicans in the theater as well as owned the VHS ,laserdisc and DVD none have exhibited the darkness exhibited by the Blu-ray. As previously stated I believe that the Blu ray is way too dark. And that's too bad as I believe that this latest cut is the best we've seen thus far.

13. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    Will there ever be a blu release of the theatrical cut?

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Probably not as the director doesn't appear to support this version being released on BD.