What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Blue Lagoon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let's get minutia out of the way.

When I watch this film, I'm continuously thinking of Jean Simmons and the 1949 version. Hard to believe that the young girl who played the younger Emmeline, Susan Stranks, is now 74.

One thing, to be sure. Both films are gorgeously photographed. The earlier by the incomparable Geoffrey Unsworth, and the latter by the extraordinary Nestor Almendros.

As the film was blown up to 70mm, the DTS-HD MA track is most likely legit reproduced as 5.1

This is a typical Columbia Blu-ray, and by that, readers probably no longer need me to tell them that it's gorgeous. Although there may be occasional exceptions, which I still somehow doubt, Columbia / Sony Blu-rays hardly need to be reviewed for quality. It should be presume.

The image on this disc is magnificent, beautifully reproducing what is on the negative. Grain structure, color, densities, shadow detail, are all on target.

I wish I could aver that The Blue Lagoon is a great film. It isn't. But for me, the ability to watch Mr. Almendros' work is worth the price of admission.

A gorgeous disc from Twilight Time.

Mr. Almendros, the bulk of whose work was in Europe, only shot about a dozen American productions, including Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie's Choice, the "Life Lessons" segment of New York Stories, and Billy Bathgate. Each and every one are worth seeing, just for his work alone.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

RAH

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Thanks Robert -- the movie is certainly no masterpiece, but is great to look at, and Brooke Sheilds doesn't look too shabby either....

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I thought about this for a minute before pre-ordering it last month. Did I really want or need THE BLUE LAGOON in my life? I had only given in and seen it on a second-run way back when, and never looked back. But I knew that I'll very much appreciate, now, on Blu-ray, whatever is good about it, even if it doesn't add up to much more than a couple of hours of great eye candy. Looking forward to it.

I've never seen the original.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's a version of The Blue Lagoon with Jean Simmons in it (from 1949)?!? I love Jean Simmons...

There's something I never knew...and now want to see.

I saw the Brooke Shields/Chris Atkins version in the theaters back in 1980 (I was just 21 and in college) and didn't think much of it back then. Maybe I'd have a different appreciation of it now, but I doubt it. I just remember a lot of wooden acting.

To take a story which should be quite compelling and make it so dull can't be easy.

I'm sure the photography is lovely, but...

I had no idea this was a remake.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There's something "bittersweet" about The Blue Lagoon that I find appealing, might have something to do with
the old man who washes up ashore with the two children passing away leaving them completely alone and vulnerable. I know, I'm a sentimental fool :)
so this is a must-buy for me. And now with Mr. Harris's assessment of the PQ, it's a no-brainer. Looking forward to watching the film in high-def.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
That same old man elevates the scenes he appears in in Ladyhawke.
cineMANIAC said:
There's something "bittersweet" about The Blue Lagoon that I find appealing, might have something to do with
the old man who washes up ashore with the two children passing away leaving them completely alone and vulnerable
so this is a must-buy for me. And now with Mr. Harris's assessment of the PQ, it's a no-brainer. Looking forward to watching the film in high-def.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
cineMANIAC said:
That "old man" was Leo McKern, a wonderful British character actor (1920-2002). You'll find him in some great roles, including that of Thomas Ryan, the father of the Daughter.

RAH

Bond1965

Auditioning
Real Name
James Carrocino
And don't forget Basil Poledouris' lovely score. One of his earlier ones before CONAN THE BARBARIAN really put him on the map.

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sergio Perez-More
Robert Harris said:
Let's get minutia out of the way.
When I watch this film, I'm continuously thinking of Jean Simmons and the 1949 version.  Hard to believe that the young girl who played the younger Emmeline, Susan Stranks, is now 74.
One thing, to be sure.  Both films are gorgeously photographed.  The earlier by the incomparable Geoffrey Unsworth, and the latter by the extraordinary Nestor Almendros.
As the film was blown up to 70mm, the DTS-HD MA track is most likely legit reproduced as 5.1
This is a typical Columbia Blu-ray, and by that, readers probably no longer need me to tell them that it's gorgeous. Although there may be occasional exceptions, which I still somehow doubt, Columbia / Sony Blu-rays hardly need to be reviewed for quality.  It should be presume.
The image on this disc is magnificent, beautifully reproducing what is on the negative. Grain structure, color, densities, shadow detail, are all on target.
I wish I could aver that The Blue Lagoon is a great film.  It isn't.  But for me, the ability to watch Mr. Almendros' work is worth the price of admission.
A gorgeous disc from Twilight Time.
Mr. Almendros, the bulk of whose work was in Europe, only shot about a dozen American productions, including Kramer vs. Kramer, Sophie's Choice, the "Life Lessons" segment of New York Stories, and Billy Bathgate.  Each and every one are worth seeing, just for his work alone.
Image - 5
Audio - 5
RAH
Thank you RAH
Can't wait for my blu-ray.
Regards,

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Right you are Robert.
This transfer is just beautiful.
Stunningly beautiful throughout.
Also a big thank you to Julie Kirgo for a very informative, enjoyable essay on the film. Keep em' coming Julie.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
I love the '49 version and wish it would be released on Blu. I've heard somewhere that it has a rights problem, which is probably the reason it's not seen nowadays.
Interestingly, it's not "the original" either. There was a 1923 silent British version too; I'll assume that it's no longer with us, but would love to be proven wrong if anyone knows otherwise.

John Stockton

Second Unit
Must Buy for me. I Love the Music and the cinematography . I have always wondered why Randal Kleiser did not shoot this and "Summer Lovers" in Scope 2.35?? Both films would have benefited immensely by the the wider screen ratio.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
You left "Days of Heaven" off of Néstor Almendros resume, which I feel is his most striking American film. Basil Poledouris score is also quite wonderful.
Doug
Edit.....ah I see someone beat me too it.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]That "old man" was Leo McKern, a wonderful British character actor (1920-2002). You'll find him in some great roles, including that of Thomas Ryan, the father of the Daughter.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Leo was not BRITISH but rather Australian and born in Sydney. [/COLOR]

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
John Stockton said:
Must Buy for me. I Love the Music and the cinematography . I have always wondered why Randal Kleiser did not shoot this and "Summer Lovers" in Scope 2.35?? Both films would have benefited immensely by the the wider screen ratio.
Sure would love a Blu of SUMMER LOVERS alongside this one, also with Poledouris' score on an isolated track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks