What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gods of Egypt -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Alex Proyas' Gods of Egypt is a film with a great deal of running, jumping and flying around, and tons of digital effects.

I believe it's an action / adventure / comedy, and somehow may link in with the Marvel Universe, but then again, it may not.

Gerard Butler plays the leader bad guy, who I believe is a bona fide Egyptian god.

Dialogue is occasionally over the top humorous, although that may not be the intent, as the film seems to be played straight.

There are several young actors, I believe playing mortals. Not certain who they are, except that one young lady stands out for having what appears to be an inordinately large chest, attached to a svelte frame, which is somehow held within the confines of her various costumes. There may be special effects involved.

What matters for this review is not really what the film is about, or how good or bad it might be, but how it fits into the selection of the initial 4k UHD releases.

The film was shot with a Red Epic Dragon, through Panavision's Primo 70 optics, which yielded 6k files. The final DI was 2k, but that's not what of greatest importance here.

For those set up with 4k and HDR (the release comes along with a Blu-ray copy), Gods of Egypt is one of the tech poster children for HDR, especially when it comes to sparkling golds and highly saturated reds.

Audio, which is offered in DTS X format, fills a screening room nicely.

The imagery is gorgeous.

Is it worth sitting through the film to sample the HDR that Lionsgate has given us?

If you're into the technology of 4k, I would have to say "yes."

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
A bit sad that the director of "Dark City" has not been able so far to reach that quality level again. I will get this for the pure eye candy factor alone, but a better film underneath would have been preferable. Someone tell Mr. Boyle that his "Sunshine" must be remastered to UHD HDR asap. What a fitting film that would be for the new format. The opening alone would make it worthwhile (text book material for HDR regrading if there ever was one). Or for the more esoteric minded people: Please issue "The Fountain" in UHD HDR! And of course "Dark City" itself!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have learned that, for me, no amount of eye candy will make up for a bad movie. The various reviews I read when this movie was in the theaters have convinced me it's not for me.

Capnvid

Captain
Real Name
Burt Vincent
No reviews tell me what to do. I found the film to be ridiculously entertaining. Jamie Lannister has a lot of fun in the lead role. The outtakes must be filled with actors cracking up with the ludicrous dialogue. If you watch it, you'll have a good time.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I absolutely loved this film. For those that have tired of the Marvel/DC superhero pantheon, a return to the ancient gods of Egypt is a refreshing change. Even if the mythology doesn't exactly jive with what the ancients wrote, the story is fun, and the effects are incredible. I'm not a huge fan of CGI intense films as a whole, but when it's done well, it's really spectacular. I saw this in the theater in 3D and it was absolutely amazing. The critics can be wrong, and they definitely were on this one. It's not supposed to be Oscar submission material, and if you just sit back with some popcorn and not expect a Citizen Kane you will have fun. If I have one complaint, it's that Rufus Sewell wasn't on the screen as much as he should have been. He always plays a great bad guy.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No reviews tell me what to do. I found the film to be ridiculously entertaining. Jamie Lannister has a lot of fun in the lead role. The outtakes must be filled with actors cracking up with the ludicrous dialogue. If you watch it, you'll have a good time.
They don't tell me what to do either, but I do accept guidance. I don't have the time or money to see every movie in the theater. The previews made it look like another CGI crapfest. I got the same vibe from the previews for that recent Frankenstein movie (forget the name) and the recent Dracula movie (forget the name again). I never found a positive professional review but plenty of negative.

I'll admit sometimes a preview makes me want to see the movie no matter what, but the previews for those three combined with critical and audience reaction saved me my time and dollars.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There are several young actors, I believe playing mortals. Not certain who they are, except that one young lady stands out for having what appears to be an inordinately large chest, attached to a svelte frame, which is somehow held within the confines of her various costumes. There may be special effects involved.
RAH

And just think Lawrence of Arabia got by with no speaking roles for women at all. Must be an inferior flick to this one.

Ray0414

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Just watched it. The hdr in this movie was incredible. The outfits, gold, silver, props, all looked unbelievably awesome. The green screen softness showed often, but I didn't care. Quite a few scenes looked native 4k. The 1st 20 minutes are pure eye candy hdr demo material. After that, it's up to you if you want to actually watch the movie lol

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I liked this film and would certainly take it over Batman and Superman films. To me this was basically like Ray Harryhausen stuff like Clash of the Titans or the Sinbad films except using today's CGI effects. It was more interesting, I thought, than the superhero stuff and I like anything that is set in ancient Egypt and it would be cool to see more films that were...even if it was as loony as this. Good actors in a sort of wacky Egyptian mythical tale. Nonsense, sure, but so were those old Harryhausen films...nonsense that entertains though.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same way about this movie as legendary(and mean spirited) film critic John Simon felt about Star Wars. I hated it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I can understand hating it. I hate CGI and I mean I really hate it but there have been some films where I accepted it due to the over the top style of the film. Sin City, 300, and this are all CGI fests but I did enjoy all three of these films. I think the key in all three was the unreality of the situations and story pretty much fit with the phony CGI aspects. They are all oddball sort of films and somehow they worked. I also went into all three with low expectations and got more than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks