What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gangs of New York (Take Two) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Received my copy from Amazon today. It is the remastered
version.

WOW!

I haven't seen this film since its initial release to DVD which
I am guessing was 2002-2003.

I had forgotten what a magnificent film this is, though overly
long-in-the-tooth.

I could sit and watch Daniel Day-Lewis forever. He is one
of the greatest actors of our time. This is probably his most
renowned role.

Noticed some things that I didn't the first time around such
as the cameo by Director Martin Scorsese.

As for the transfer...

This is a MAGNIFICENT transfer. Incredible. It is what
a perfectly mastered Blu-ray title should look like. You will
marvel at its perfection.

I scoffed about the price of this release. I felt I got my
$26 worth of entertainment this evening though I still think
Disney should have done the right thing and taken care of
those who originally bought the version that was not properly
mastered. Just my opinion.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hopefully Disney will make a move on replacing old discs for those who so wish.

It would gain them an incredible amount of good will, especially since they didn't
cause the original problem.

RAH

Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Received my copy from Amazon today. It is the remastered
version.

WOW!

As for the transfer...

This is a MAGNIFICENT transfer. Incredible. It is what
a perfectly mastered Blu-ray title should look like. You will
marvel at its perfection.

I scoffed about the price of this release. I felt I got my
$26 worth of entertainment this evening though I still think
Disney should have done the right thing and taken care of
those who originally bought the version that was not properly
mastered. Just my opinion.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Hopefully Disney will make a move on replacing old discs for those who so wish.

It would gain them an incredible amount of good will, especially since they didn't
cause the original problem.

RAH
Which is unfortunately most likely the reason why they haven't done a replacement program.

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
careful! i work at BB and the 12.99 was the older sku and not the newer version, which is still 29.99. also looks like we have none of the 12.99 on order or in stock and will be up to each store whether to honor the newer sku. going to the store could be a hassle depending on your attitude towards the sales staff.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
The remastered version is $15.99 at Amazon (at least, for today). I actually ordered it as a blind buy, never having seen it. I know, I know!

Anyway, at this price point, it's worth getting just to encourage excellent releases on Blu-ray.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
It had the infamous sticker and on the back it says "2010 Blu-ray Release" in a little box, but it was the last one on the shelf.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Finally saw it last night. Good Lord what a difference. Jeez, it's like a different film.

But that digital restoration sticker on the package...I must disagree with RAH: I don't believe it to be a truly restored sticker. It appeared to be an upsample of a 150dpi graphic. Definitely not hi-res. So "Digital Restoration" may in fact be referring to the restoring of Scorsese's vision by the new 1s and 0s on this "2010 Blu-ray Release."

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That may have been the intent, but the image in the flier matched the image of the newer version. I went in and mine rang up at $29, so I showed the clerk the flier, she called a manager and they honored the flier price. They really would have no leg to stand on, since the flier is wrong.

Originally Posted by irishsooner

careful! i work at BB and the 12.99 was the older sku and not the newer version, which is still 29.99. also looks like we have none of the 12.99 on order or in stock and will be up to each store whether to honor the newer sku. going to the store could be a hassle depending on your attitude towards the sales staff.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by irishsooner

My local BB did not honor the $12.99 price the first time I tried to buy it. I was pretty pissed considering that is what their advertising showed and 99.0% stores will follow the advertising, even if it is wrong.

I went back a few days later and the girl at the register sold it to me for $12.99 no questions asked.

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
i and i'm sure some others at BB sent up a question about it thru our channels and i got a nice reply that the better edition was changed in price. have a friend at work who wants to buy it.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
My jaw dropped to the floor when I read the OCN had been lost/damaged/destroyed. Wow! I bet a few people got fired over that...I mean, what was the budget of that picture? 150 mil?

BR

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brianruns10

My jaw dropped to the floor when I read the OCN had been lost/damaged/destroyed. Wow! I bet a few people got fired over that...I mean, what was the budget of that picture? 150 milI?

I can't decide if you didn't perceive the irony of the original post, or are yourself operating on such a sublime level of meta-irony that it is beyond my own understanding.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No worries! Just having a little fun. It's easy to miss humor, especially RAH's characteristically dry sense of humor, on the internet.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I was able to pick this up for $9.89 from Deep Discount. When I saw the price I had some trepidation that I might get the original BD version, but it arrived today and it's definitely the restored 2010 version.

However, I see that DD's price is now back up to $29.85. Amazon is still selling it for $15.49.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, I also received my copy from DD for that $9.89 price a few days ago -- and quickly checked out some scenes to verify since there are no obvious/clear indications of it being the remastered/"restored" version (as that sticker was missing). I woulda reported back to the Consolidated Bargains thread, but since the DD price jumped back to a high level (shortly before my copy arrived), I didn't bother. I'm guessing most already ordered it from Amazon or somewhere else by now.

_Man_

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I was pretty sure it was the new version because the original BD release has a different UPC. Also, I understand that the original had PCM audio. Congratulations on getting the $9.89 price - I jumped on it when I confirmed that they were advertising it as having the newer UPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks