What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Fright Night (1985) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
I'm still amazed Sony didn't release this themselves- If they did on the A/V package the work they did really solid work. Very nice of them to link the Commentaries in the liner notes, not that I didn't know where it was mind you...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by moonchild69

Originally Posted by Michael Allred [url=/t/316846/a-few-words-about-fright-night-1985-in-blu-ray#post_3877938]

An alternate review that I think is a bit more realistic:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fright-Night-Blu-ray/25032/#Review
and what does it mean that Twilight Time is a "sponsor" here at HTF? If it is what I think it is, I am somewhat disturbed at the thought of such glowing reviews.....feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Wow, Michael. I did not know that TT were actually a sponsor on this form. I have been posting back and forth to a few other forms on the FN release and my general consensus is that there are many sponsors, employees, and supporters of TT assigned to these forms to make sure consumers and fans think that the release is of the best quality and more then justified for the premium price. The sponsors go on to say that there are no other authoring studios that could have done such a stellar job on the picture transfer to blu-ray like TT has and that we all are so fortunate to own this release. Fright Night is one of my favorite horror movies, but i am afraid what i have bought into is purely just an over priced little bit better than average wanted to feel special limited release of the film! I am pretty sure that only the diehard fans of FN will even consider purchasing this average release with no extras.

Michael and moonchild-

Twilight Time is NOT a sponsor here at HTF. They happen to be professions who have been vetted and are allowed to participate here in the forum as our guests just like Paramount, Fox, Shout Factory! and others (like Ron mentioned). I consider myself personally to be a supporter of Twilight Time as I appreciate that they are releasing titles that would otherwise not see the light of day...I also know that they have people I personally trust like Schawn B (Fox) and Grover C (Sony) behind the quality of their releases. That doesn't mean I will buy every title, or not speak out if there is a problem. Its funny that you mention sponsors and employees. I'm not sure what you mean by their sponsors, and they really don't have employees. Twilight Time is two guys putting their money where there passion is. I can assure you that no one is "assigned" to all the forums to promote their releases.

Still upset at Screen Archives...I didn't get a magnet with The Egyptian. When I emailed them about it, they said, well you can get a magnet with the next movie you order. Really? For as much money as I paid for the blu-ray, they should have sent me the magent, since others who paid the same price received one. Poor response on their part.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

Still upset at Twilight Time...I didn't get a magnet with The Egyptian. When I emailed them about it, they said, well you can get a magnet with the next movie you order. Really? For as much money as I paid for the blu-ray, they should have sent me the magent, since others who paid the same price received one. Poor response on their part.

Was that Twilight Time or Screen Archives?

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Have you tried contacting Twilight Time themselves through their Facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies They're pretty responsive to the posts there.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm surprised by the desire for magnets, as they are not friendly devices. They play havoc with everything from credit cards to computer devices. I receive them and trash them.

RAH

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Robert Harris said:
I'm surprised by the desire for magnets, as they are not friendly devices.  They play havoc with everything from credit cards to computer devices.  I receive them and trash them. RAH
Do you know on Mythbusters they tried to use magnets to erase the magnetic info on credit cards (as part of the eel skin wallet myth) and they couldn't do it with regular magnets. They ended up having to use a powerful electromagnet to mess up credit cards. Doug

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Adam Gregorich said:
Was that Twilight Time or Screen Archives?  
eric scott richard said:
Still upset at Screen Archives...I didn't get a magnet with The Egyptian. When I emailed them about it, they said, well you can get a magnet with the next movie you order. Really? For as much money as I paid for the blu-ray, they should have sent me the magent, since others who paid the same price received one. Poor response on their part.
Amazed at the hubbub here and on the Blu-ray.com forum for these damn magnets. I can understand their reluctance to ship out a magnet by itself...the shipping will likely cost more than the cost of the magnet. And, really did we all order this thing for a magnet or the movie? :rolleyes:

Hal F

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Harris said:
I'm surprised by the desire for magnets, as they are not friendly devices. They play havoc with everything from credit cards to computer devices. I receive them and trash them.

RAH
I dunno. I got Screen Archives magnets plastered all over the sides of my home computer and have not had any problems. :D They are pretty weak magnets. Barely strong enough to stick to a metal surface.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Old habits die hard, though, and I don't mind saying I'm still careful about where I put anything with a magnet in it. If you "assume" that even the smallest magnet could harm a treasured reel-to-reel tape, audio cassette, VHS tape (yes, I still have a dozen or so), etc. etc -- then no harm will come to them.

(Everyone around me laughed when I recently took down a bunch of refrigerator magnets that were to be stored, and had a fit trying to figure out how and where to box 'em up.)

It's not the magnet, it's the idea that their customer service wasn't willing or helpful. And yes, if I spend that much money and others who spend the same are getting an extra, I would like to get one too. Please stop rolling your eyes at me...my goodness, do people just love to be unkind just for the sake of it?

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
eric scott richard said:
It's not the magnet, it's the idea that their customer service wasn't willing or helpful. And yes, if I spend that much money and others who spend the same are getting an extra, I would like to get one too. Please stop rolling your eyes at me...my goodness, do people just love to be unkind just for the sake of it?
The eye-rolling is in response to the never-ending complaining going on about this release, much of it coming from people who don't even own the disc and who are completely unwilling to listen to reason. It wasn't meant to be taken so personally and I apologize for causing you undue stress. :) Again, it's just a magnet...is the lack of one really going to affect your enjoyment of this disc? I believe what they said to other folks who missed out on a magnet this time was that they would give people who didn't get a magnet an EXTRA one with their next order...meaning you will get 2 magnets with the next order instead of the customary 1; it's completely understandable that they would not want to pay the freight just to send a magnet that costs a few cents to make.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I saw the magnet, said hey, cool! Then i threw it away. I guess some people like them. But, I do not even get the love for the cardboard slips that come over a DVD or Blu-ray. I always throw those away too!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I only like the magnets because I already have 4 unique SAE magnets and lots of refrigerator space. Looks like they are being made for Sony releases only, so I guess Picnic will be the next to have a super-special magnet.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by JoHud

I only like the magnets because I already have 4 unique SAE magnets and lots of refrigerator space. Looks like they are being made for Sony releases only, so I guess Picnic will be the next to have a super-special magnet.

Not true. I got a magnet when I bought The Egyptian.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks