A Few Words About A few words about...™ Desk Set -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Again, I didn't argue whether or not the movie should look blue - I simply said it does. That was in response to the notion that people only thought it looked blue because they were being influenced by screen shots...

2. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Just for clarification and maybe because I wasn't clear, I meant that people may have been influenced by the screen shot comparisons into thinking it looked TOO blue. There's no question there's a lot of blue in it.

3. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    As there should be.

4. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Well, when you say there's a "teal push" you are implying certainly that something was done that perhaps shouldn't have been - that's what people read into statements like that, with "teal push" being one of the most overused, abused, and now cliched statements of 2013 :)

Jimbo64 likes this.
  5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I never used the term "teal push", but don't let that stop you! :rolleyes:

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

Mark B likes this.
  7. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Thank you for posting the obvious :) "Teal push" "teal emphasis" the point is the same.

8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

So because you're tired of the word "teal" and think it's a cliche, does that mean it no longer exists in modern movies? Does that mean "Desk Set" doesn't have blue - or dare I say TEAL - overtones because you don't want to hear the word any more?

Mark B likes this.
  9. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I think you know exactly what I was saying and what my point was and we can just leave it at that - you seem to want to be argumentative, which doesn't interest me. - Desk Set looks as it should and all Technicolor films of that era look the same with the same amount of blue. I'm not talking about modern movies - Desk Set has no "overtones" it shouldn't have. Again, the way you worded your post might lead some to believe that there is, as you call it, a "teal emphasis" and that that is somehow wrong. That is all.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Lets stop with the teal/blue argument! It's really not enhancing this discussion for any of us.

11. bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal Stunt Coordinator

Paul
    Well, I've recently taken delivery of the bluray, and while I think it looks very nice, I feel that it's way too blue. There are many instances where whites and greys are saturated in a blue haze, and some scenes look like they have a blue 'glow' to them.

Based on previous discussion, I have no doubt that it's closer to how the film originally looked - but could they have pushed it a bit too far for this new bluray?

Mark B likes this.
  12. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Actor

Mark
    There is no BLACK

13. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    First off, happy 2014. I just watched it again, just to try and see what a handful of people are seeing. But I don't. If you watch the credits, which appear on a typing paper background that paper is white as white can be. If they'd done some sort of weird overall thing with blue you'd see it right there. Then as soon as the film proper begins, whites are white (note Miss Hepburn's blouse), and every other color - red, yellow, orange, brown, gray and skin tone - is rendered perfectly and accurately. Blacks are absolutely black unless a blue gelled light is hitting them - and that's very easy to tell in the first sequences with Miss Hepburn in her office. Watch her telephone - black until it's hit with a blue gelled light, at which point it reflects that light. This is the way these films looked and this is a beautiful transfer and a really wonderful movie to boot.

14. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Although I'm reluctant to resort to screen caps, there is a relatively simple comparison for colour emphasis/de-emphasis in Desk Set...most of its set dressings were re-used in Irwin Allen's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea only a couple of years later (also a Fox Adler-era production):

Desk Set
    [​IMG]

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
    [​IMG]

Even allowing for inconsistencies in the preservation and remastering of each picture, if there is some huge difference in the attention to grayscale here, I don't see it. Just looks like De Luxe colour from Fox circa '57 to '61. :huh:

NOTE: Caps courtesy of Blu-ray.com, chosen mainly for the consistency of their capture specs.

15. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Or even this:
    [​IMG]

16. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    BTW, in case anyone was wondering, that's Katharine Hepburn with staff in one of the future sets for the Seaview autographing a Desk Set still for Frankie Avalon. :P

Jim*Tod and Will Krupp like this.
  17. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I'd never seen this particular Tracy/Hepburn movie before. Just watched it.

Fantastic! I haven't even seen the others in years, so one of these days I'll have to see if a return to them provides even half the thrill that this was.

Which might have been partially due to my eating up the set and costume designs, and the COLOR. Oh, the color, she is beautiful. Just beautiful.

18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Hepburn is just so perfectly cast as Bunny. You truly believe that she could rattle off facts like that without even pausing to think.

19. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I first saw Desk Set when it was first released on w/s laserdisc in the late eighties. It's been a favorite of mine ever since.

The complex dialog between Hepburn and Tracy (especially during the roof top scene) always amazes me. How did they ever remember all their lines? And then deliver them as if it was the first time. What a performance!

I guess Spencer Tracy's advise to a budding actor says it all: "Acting is the easiest thing in the world. Just don't ever get caught doing it."

ahollis likes this.
  20. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Agree with both the above. They are superb, but she is simply uncanny.