A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dark Shadows (2012) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    An interesting choice for what is currently the eighth film in which Johnny Depp has been directed by Tim Burton.

Based upon the 1960s TV series of the same name, the 2012 version of the concept starts out beautifully. I'm a sucker for nicely done digital work, and the recreation of 18th century locations immediately whet my appetite for more.

All of this begins with the beautiful original 1970s Warner logo, which places you in a '70s state of mind.

But things don't go quite as well for the rest of the film. While it's certainly a fun ride, there's just something missing.

Warner's new Blu-ray of the 2012 version is a beauty, however. The earlier films are all being released on Blu-ray by WB, although I've not yet seen them. The entire original TV series is already available, for those who can't get enough.

Bottom line here is that this is a gorgeous Blu-ray of a film that doesn't quite come together. For those Depp or Burton completists, WB has made the addition of the film to one's library extremely painless. Without DVD, it can be had for under $10 at Amazon, which is quite a bit less than a single theatrical admission.

Shot on film, and taken through post as 2k DI, Dark Shadows on Blu-ray is a quality disc.

RAH

2. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
    I picked up the BLU today at Best Buy for 14.99 and I thought the WB opening logo was te same one shown in theaters and to me it is the current logo with some different background tinting / Jut checked it and it is the current logo.
    I think you were watching Magic Mike and afraid to tell us :)

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    True.

Magic Mike was actually far more interesting that I thought it might be. And isn't what I thought it was. Which is a good thing. Never been to a male strip club. Ever. Not my thing. Nor have I ever been a male stripper. Possibly a lead-in comedy act.

That was to be my next post. Long day, and longer ones to come with weather closing in. I've previewed nine discs, and will post as I find a few moments.

RAH

4. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    RAH - check the name of the production entity for Magic Mike and you'll see what Soderbergh's inspiration for his take on the script was.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I wonder why Amazon dropped the price and it's due to BB again. Anyhow, I ordered it and should watch it later this week.

Crawdaddy