At the company’s First Look event in New York on Wednesday, Samsung unveiled its 2018 home entertainment lineup, including flagship QLED TV models, UHD, Premium UHD and Ultra-Large Screen TVs. The products will include what the company claims are ‘groundbreaking’ design elements, enhanced picture quality and intuitive smart capabilities.
“Our 2018 lineup of televisions are truly our most innovative and sophisticated yet, designed for today’s consumer who is mindful of the aesthetics of their space,” said Jong-hee Han, President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. “We are excited for consumers to experience our new TV lineup and features that offer more freedom to decide where and how the TV can be best enjoyed within the home.”
Some interesting features on the new lineup include an Ambient Mode where a TV will provide useful information throughout the day, even when consumers aren’t actively watching. It can play music as well as display news headlines, traffic reports, and weather updates. For wall-mounted TVs, Ambient Mode can mimic the pattern on the wall behind the TV to create an ‘astonishing’ visual effect in which the TV blends seamlessly into the wall.
A One Invisible Connection feature consists of a slim cable (up to 15m) that will transport combined power and AV data to the TV, and a SmartThings app will reduce the time it takes to set up a new display. Samsung’s intelligence platform Bixby will also be on hand for voice commands on compatible devices. A Direct Full Array enables ‘pristine contrast’ on the Q8F and Q9F QLED TVs, and includes zones of smartly controlled backlighting that adjust automatically to deliver deep blacks and pure whites.
Samsung claims it is reinforcing its commitment to ultra-large screen televisions. The 2018 Samsung TV line features 9 series across the QLED TV, Premium UHD, UHD and Ultra-Large Screen display range, available in a variety of class sizes. Models in the 2018 lineup feature both flat and curved display options.
• QLED TV: Models in the 2018 QLED TV lineup include – Q9F (65”, 75”, 88”), Q8F (55”, 65”, 75”), Q7C (55”, 65”), Q7F (55”, 65”, 75”) and Q6F (49”, 55”, 65”, 75”, 82”). The QLED TVs feature enhanced color and contrast, HDR10+ compatibility, Ambient Mode, Smart TV enhancements with Bixby Voice, One Remote Control and the One Invisible Connection.
• Premium UHD: Models in the 2018 Premium UHD TV lineup include NU8500 and NU8000. The Premium UHD TVs include features such as dynamic crystal color, HDR10+ compatibility, clean cable solutions, and Smart TV enhancements with Bixby Voice and One Remote Control.
• UHD: Models in the 2018 UHD TV lineup include NU7100 (75”, 65”, 55”, 50”, 43”, 40″) and NU7300 (65”, 55″). These UHD TVs include features such as 4K UHD and HDR picture capabilities, clean cable solutions, slim design and Smart TV capabilities.
Samsung is also offering four new audio products that offer clear and immersive sound tailored to the different ways that individual consumers set up and use their home theater systems:
• HW-K950: With front-firing, up-firing and new side-firing speakers, the HW-K950 Dolby Atmos soundbar creates an extraordinary cinematic experience that delivers 7.1.4 surround sound.
• HW-N650: Designed for gamers, the HW-N650 soundbar features Acoustic Beam Technology that puts consumers at the center of the action.
• HW-NW700: The HW-NW700 soundbar features a wall-mounted design that perfectly complements QLED TVs so that they both blend beautifully into any home environment.
• VL550: The VL550 includes a unique metal dial that consumers can attach to any metallic surface and use to control music with the sound of their voice.
The new range of TVs and soundbars will be available in stores from now onwards and Samsung suggests checking in on their website for the latest pricing and information. If anyone here is thinking of taking the plunge with any of the QLEDs or soundbars, let us know. It would be particularly interesting to hear how the Q9F and Q8F series will perform in this evermore competitive marketplace.