What's new

HT total design from scratch - Help Needed in every way (1 Viewer)

LD-Crazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
View attachment HT_Plan_BasicRoom_Start.pdf
I hope this is the right place for this question.

I'm in need of a lot of help. Lol. Physically, mentally, you name it.

First time full-fledged HT in design now. Haven't broken construction (deconstruction) yet. Wife has given me a former bedroom to redesign as a media room.

Current Size of existing former bedroom - 8 feet tall, 11 feet wide, and 10 feet 7 inches plus a 3 foot 7 inch walk-in area.

Dedicated Closet - planning to be used for LD’s, DVD’s, etc. Equipment mounted in a rack on the wall facing the media room, so that wiring is exposed from the rear from inside the closet.

Acoustically/Sound Dampening/Proofing? - Was thinking about sub-walling the room, but because of its lack in size I am unsure of its value. Thus reducing the size more. Then again I don’t have any way of sound proofing the room if I don’t. Acoustic insulation/panels is quite expensive and doesn’t offer enough sound proofing. Any suggestions on how to sound proof?

Viewing Distance? - don’t really have a lot of room from the front wall before I get to the first row of seats, much less room for a second row. 10-12 feet is the suggested min distance for a 75-100+” screen. So how do I squeeze it all in? Not much fun in a room that can only seat 2-3 in one row.

Equipment? - what pieces are actually need/required?

Is separates better? And a receiver just cheaper? Or is the Receiver just a better fit for all of which it can do?

I think I want 4K/Ultra HD Dolby Atmos, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 9.2-13.2 ch. Not sure about the “Networking” feature or not.

Existing Equip:

Sony 75” 4K TV

Looking to replace:

NIB Pioneer Elite SC-72 - 9.2 ch

Yamaha RX- Receiver – 7.2 ch

Pioneer LD

Denon LD

Questionable Replacement Pieces:

2 Def Tech BP-8’s (yes, purchased in 1993)

1 Def Tech PowerField 15 Subwoofer, w Active Crossover & Power Amp (yes, purchased in 1993)

5 Def Tech Pro Cinema 1000’s - center ch, LF/RF, LR/RR

Pieces thinking about:

Receivers:

Pioneer Elite SC-95 or

Marantz AV8802A Pre-Amp/Pro or

Marantz AV7702 Multichannel A/V PreAmp or similar

LD Player: (because I have several hundred Giant CD’s)

Pioneer Elite CLD-79 with either the Marantz-DP-870, Yamaha-DDP-1, B&K Comp DT-1, or similar AC-3 Demodulator

Or something equally impressive

Over Head Projectors:

Just starting research - any suggestions?

Speakers:

Klipsch vs Def Tech vs Rebel vs anyone better?

Blu-ray?:

What’s the best option for the new age of 4k? Should I wait for more options in 4k movie manufacturing since there aren’t a lot of 4k movies, just a few shows? And go with a cheaper option for the time being?

Seating?:

Want theatre seats. Suggestions?

What else am I missing?
Thanks for all your help. Any and ALL help is very much appreciated.
This is a long over due dream come true.
Michael

LD-Crazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
HT_Plan_BasicRoom_Start.JPG

I hope this is the right place for this question.
I'm in need of a lot of help. Lol. Physically, mentally, you name it.

First time full-fledged HT in design now. Haven't broken construction (deconstruction) yet. Wife has given me a former bedroom to redesign as a media room.
Current Size of existing former bedroom - 8 feet tall, 11 feet wide, and 10 feet 7 inches plus a 3 foot 7 inch walk-in area.
Dedicated Closet - planning to be used for LD’s, DVD’s, etc. Equipment mounted in a rack on the wall facing the media room, so that wiring is exposed from the rear from inside the closet.

Acoustically/Sound Dampening/Proofing? - Was thinking about sub-walling the room, but because of its lack in size I am unsure of its value. Thus reducing the size more. Then again I don’t have any way of sound proofing the room if I don’t. Acoustic insulation/panels is quite expensive and doesn’t offer enough sound proofing. Any suggestions on how to sound proof?

Viewing Distance? - don’t really have a lot of room from the front wall before I get to the first row of seats, much less room for a second row. 10-12 feet is the suggested min distance for a 75-100+” screen. So how do I squeeze it all in? Not much fun in a room that can only seat 2-3 in one row.

Equipment? - what pieces are actually need/required?
Is separates better? And a receiver just cheaper? Or is the Receiver just a better fit for all of which it can do?
I think I want 4K/Ultra HD Dolby Atmos, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, 9.2-13.2 ch. Not sure about the “Networking” feature or not.
Existing Equip:
Sony 75” 4K TV

Looking to replace:
NIB Pioneer Elite SC-72 - 9.2 ch
Yamaha RX- Receiver – 7.2 ch
Pioneer LD
Denon LD

Questionable Replacement Pieces:
2 Def Tech BP-8’s (yes, purchased in 1993)
1 Def Tech PowerField 15 Subwoofer, w Active Crossover & Power Amp (yes, purchased in 1993)
5 Def Tech Pro Cinema 1000’s - center ch, LF/RF, LR/RR

Pieces thinking about:
Receivers:
Pioneer Elite SC-95 or
Marantz AV8802A Pre-Amp/Pro or
Marantz AV7702 Multichannel A/V PreAmp or similar

LD Player: (because I have several hundred Giant CD’s)
Pioneer Elite CLD-79 with either the Marantz-DP-870, Yamaha-DDP-1, B&K Comp DT-1, or similar AC-3 Demodulator
Or something equally impressive

Over Head Projectors:
Just starting research - any suggestions?

Speakers:
Klipsch vs Def Tech vs Rebel vs anyone better?

Blu-ray?:
What’s the best option for the new age of 4k? Should I wait for more options in 4k movie manufacturing since there aren’t a lot of 4k movies, just a few shows? And go with a cheaper option for the time being?

Seating?:
Want theatre seats. Suggestions?

What else am I missing?
Thanks for all your help. Any and ALL help is very much appreciated.
This is a long overdue dream come true.
Michael

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is your overall budget?

Quiet Rock 500 or SoundBreak XP

You have no room for 7.1, unless your seating distance is 6 feet. Even a proper 5.1 is going to require no more than an 8ft seating distance.

LD-Crazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
was afraid the distance would hurt me.

initial budget range $25k-30k I would think. Not quite sure yet what the wife is anticipating bottom being.

where did you get the info stating no room for 7.1 and "proper 5.1 is going to require no more than 8ft"? where is that established for best practices?

Am I better off going with a different room; only other one I have to offer is an open family area sharing openness with the kitchen and an area the size of vaulted ceiling 20' V x 16ft 5 x 15'?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Bah, I just split off your reply in Brian's message out to this new topic, THEN I saw you had started a new topic here.

Threads merged!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LD-Crazer said:
was afraid the distance would hurt me.

initial budget range $25k-30k I would think. Not quite sure yet what the wife is anticipating bottom being.

where did you get the info stating no room for 7.1 and "proper 5.1 is going to require no more than 8ft"? where is that established for best practices?

Am I better off going with a different room; only other one I have to offer is an open family area sharing openness with the kitchen and an area the size of vaulted ceiling 20' V x 16ft 5 x 15'?
115° speaker placement of the surrounds. 155° speaker placement of rear surrounds.

And...been doing this since 1991.

LD-Crazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Lol. No doubt a long time.

I wasn't trying to contest your answers, just trying for your source so I wouldn't have to keep asking you questions.

How do you figure degrees into feet and inches?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't turn "degrees into feet and inches".

Center speaker is 0°.

Front LR is 15-20°

All speakers "should be" equal distance from the main listening position.

So...a 10x10 room(easy math) means you would be roughly 5.5 feet from every speaker if 7.1.

Go to 5.1 and you can slide rearward a bit to roughly 6 feet from every speaker(the circle created by the speakers expands beyond the room).

DaveFelix

Grip
Real Name
Dave Felix
Can I have like 5K so I can get a good system? lol

HTF Expert - so I should have my L and R channels slightly turned inwards. What about the surrounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks