What's new

Rules: XML Codes/Pre-Orders (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks for the feedback. I don't see us reversing this tho. Popularity isn't the problem here, it's in the mechanics of the sale and other issues. I'm sure you'll find other outlets to buy and sell those. Same thing goes for trading the 'credits' for these services. We haven't supported those for close to a year now because they are problematic and are endemic to the problem of people treating these code sales like a side business. Our code forum isn't here for you to make a few bucks from, it's for members to buy and sell codes that an original poster of a packaged good has no need for. It's a fine line, and the more popular this sub forum gets due to its success the more we have to beat down the storefronts from abusing it.

The bottom line: This is a fragile thing and requires more attention than moderating the rest of HTF. In balance it's something our members enjoy, but if it becomes a problem it won't last. We haven't banned sales of multiple copies yet. We haven't put a limit to how many codes you can list here. Both of those are options if needed. I hope it doesn't get to that. These two new clarifications are minor things compared to either of those.

droid420

Agent
Real Name
Andy
A better solution is a sticky with instructions to redeem them since it's just a simple .xml file that is copied to a USB drive and iTunes reads it as a digital copy. A total ban would mean that it would not be possible to buy the highly coveted rare Disney titles that are only available in this format.

AnsonMyPants

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anson
I hope that this isn't against the rules. If it is please let me know and ill take this post down.

Or you can do away with the old flash drive way and download the file. I found this on another forum. I have been using this new way on every Disney purchase that requires an xml.

"This is a super easy guide to redeem your disc-based iTunes codes without the disc or xml files. No need for those time consuming usb drive tricks!
Choose the option for your computer below.
For Mac, its as easy as running the dmg and opening iTunes. Click the Music button at the top left to get a dropdown menu and select Digital Copy. It will then ask you to enter a code.
For PC, you'll probably need software such as Daemon Tools (free) to run the iso file. Otherwise it's the exact same instructions as Mac.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cey6wxkvk9w3yxp/Digital%20Copy.dmg Mac Version

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wokueav5ov4b8l/Digital%20Copy.iso PC Version"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sorry guys, this isn't changing. Again it's only tangentially related to the complexity. Anson, I'm not going to go into what should be the very obvious reasons why suggesting that is pure madness. Try explaining any of that to any of your non technical friends vs 'put in the code and watch your movie'. Not to mention the security issues with downloading code from random places on the internet and whatever copyright disasters waiting within it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
droid420 said:
A better solution is a sticky with instructions to redeem them since it's just a simple .xml file that is copied to a USB drive and iTunes reads it as a digital copy. A total ban would mean that it would not be possible to buy the highly coveted rare Disney titles that are only available in this format.
The solution is straightforward: you can sell a code requiring a disc, if you provide the disc to go with it. Methods to circumvent a disc-based code is violation of the HTF's long-standing rules against piracy and circumventing copy protections.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I notice a number of our sellers are REQUIRING Friends and Family payment via Paypal. I strongly urge you to NOT use this service as that puts ALL of the risk on the buyers end. I've posted a question to the mods and owners if we need to ban this at HTF and will keep you posted on that decision.

jpal83

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason P
If you call PayPal, they will tell you that paying with "goods and services" does not protect you if you buy digital goods. So even if you pay using goods and services to buy codes, PayPal does not protect the buyer there. I know from experience as I have personally had to call Paypal in the past for movies I purchased from someone and they told me it didn't matter whether I paid friends and family of goods and services for digital goods because there is no protection on digital goods using goods and services

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are correct. It's a fine line. Using F&F for sales is much clearer violation of their TOS tho and an abuse of Paypal's basic utility, you are essentially stealing from Paypal by avoiding their fees.

Do you want us to ban paypal sales completely?

AnsonMyPants

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anson
We still have not heard back from you if we are having a pizza party or not. Keep us posted. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Imagine how we feel, Scott. It's brought a lot of new members to the forum and generates a lot of excitement, but many of those new members do not have the history with HTF to understand what we are all about and want to treat code sales like a business without being in business. It requires a steady eye on this sub to make sure it remains as friendly as the rest of HTF and that means we have to have rules and stick to em. None of us want to be a code sherriff but if that protects the greater health of the forum as a whole it's worth it!

lukelikesmovies

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lucas
Thanks, Sam. I've became new to this site a few months back. Even, being that new, I've started to notices this section of the forum to populate. I was thinking the posts on "credits" was getting out of hand. Overall, I've taken a short absence from the site, mainly due to a personal move to a new city and not having time because there has been a lot more activity on this site. But I'm back and hoping to get to some more code trading.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome back Lucas. The code trades seem very vibrant and mostly drama free these days, we hope more of our traders keep branching out to the other sections of the forum!

hellmutt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
I just now stumbled across this update. Will remove XML titles from my list starting today...

What would really be super helpful would be the ability to edit the first post of the thread, probably the single biggest point of confusion for folks is that it's not the first post in the thread that is the most recent, it's the last.

I'd love to delete my entire thread, start over with one post that I just keep updated all the time, and it would eliminate a ton of confusion.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hey Bob, we welcome you to do weekly threads if that's helpful. There are a LOT of reasons why these posts aren't easily editable and some are tech based and some are designed to prevent things like revisionist history. I definitely sympathize with those requests. In the absence of that it's best to just start new threads when the need arises. We're happy to lock any thread you want but it's usually not necessary, just let old ones slide into obscurity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks