What's new

Want to upgrade from budget Polk speakers... (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Upgradeitis has set in.

My speakers for the last several years have been a set of Polk "R" series: two tower R30s for fronts and two R15s for rear surrounds and a Polk CSi25 for the center.

I'm getting a new Denon AVR X2000 receiver for Christmas and am thinking about taking the speakers up a grade.

Budget is still limited, however. I'd like to stay in the vicinity of $500.

So, I'm thinking maybe I should consider looking at putting that money into new fronts/center and making do with existing speakers for the surrounds.

Looking at Amazon right now, I see Polk TSi300 cherry for $300/pair and Polk TSi400 cherry for $400/pair.

Center channel options include: a Polk CS10 for $150, A Polk Audio Monitor 25C for $130, and a Polk Audio Monitor 15C for $98. Not sure which center would match up best to the TSi speakers.

Opinions? Would these be a "worthy" upgrade? Would I notice an improvement in sound? I think the wife will like the idea of cherry cabinets in the LR. Those TSi towers look deep. They say they're 7" deep (but I think that's got to be the width).

Other recommendations? Know of any great sales right now?

I'm all ears. :biggrin:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By the way...

I'm not married to Polk speakers. It's just that what I see in that price range on Amazon right now.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My opinion would be to stick with what you have until your budget is bigger. I'm not really familiar with the Polks but my guess would be you won't see a big boost in performance.

When you can budget closer to $1k then I think you have more options. Of course it is IMHO and YMMV. :D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As I understand it the TSi's are basically Monitors in a fancier cabinet and the Monitors replaced the "R" series so maybe it would be more of a lateral move although the ones you mentioned do have more drivers so maybe they're worth it.

The other obvious suggestion is going with bookshelves for fronts instead of towers. Maybe Polk RTi6's, 4's and a CSi3? Check Polk's ebay store.But that's sometimes easier said then done. We all like our towers.

The usual suspects in that price range are the Infinity Primus, BIC Venturi, Pioneer AJ's, Fluance and the already mentioned Polks. If your patient-and lucky-you could score a great deal on the used market but I'm guessing you're not comfortable with used gear. My brother bought a new Boston Acoustic setup a few years ago (towers, center, small surrounds) with the exact same budget so it can be done, but focusing on the fronts and center might be necessary. I haven't heard them myself but the Pioneers modified by PhilhamonicAudio might be worth a look. $275/pr for the towers and $100 for the center. The bookshelves are $165/pr. Not sure about shipping costs, return policy or warranty.

If the Mordaunt-Short Aviano's were still available they'd be a great option as well. Sometimes timing is the most important thing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've got no issues with used speakers, Gene.

My wife would love it if I mounted two bookshelves high on the wall (less floor clutter), but, yes, I do love my towers. But if you think two good bookshelves would be a quality improvement over my two existing towers, I'd give that serious, serious consideration.

I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed looking at all the different model Polk speakers right now. If I start looking at other manufacturers, I might go nuts! Plus, all the descriptions are the same--no matter if they're entry level or much more expensive. It's kind of...difficult.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Since you have a very nice sub bookshelves should be at least looked at. I'd look for Paradigm (Studio's on the high end, Monitors with metal tweeters on the reasonable end, PSB (long shot) and Polk RTi's (kind of bright) and RTiA's (not as bright) among so many others.

Examples of used bargains...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ele/4791748766.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/4780832504.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/4780831573.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/4780833474.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/4792393307.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/4798149211.html

Don't forget Polk ebay store!

http://stores.ebay.com/polkaudiodirect?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let me ask this.

There's a guy selling a used pair of RTi6s on Amazon right now for $250 (including shipping).

Do you think they would sound better than the cheap Polk towers I'm using right now?

I know I'm asking for an opinion...but I know it'll be an informed opinion (even if you've never heard the R30 towers I'm currently using).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would take the RTi 6's over the Polk 300's but I'd get new ones from Polk's ebay store for $155 shipped.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
gene c said:
I would take the RTi 6's over the Polk 300's but I'd get new ones from Polk's ebay store for $155 shipped.
Yeah. I just saw that deal. That's impressive.

And if I get a CSi3 Center channel for $105 I get another 5% off? Um, I'd only be spending $260. That seems strange.

They have a fixed mounting bracket on their back, correct? How do they work? As simple as hanging onto a screw which is set into a stud?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, There's a keywhole on the back. The mounting plate has a cone on the other side which directs the bass from the port away from the wall.

10-12 years ago a friend had Polk R50's which I thought were pretty good but I didn't have much speaker history at that point. I never really cared for the r30/r300. Sorry.

Polk RTi's are a fairly bright speaker (great for movies/tv but not so much for music) but a very musical one. The newer RTiA's were toned down a bit. Also, the Ebony RTi's are one of the most beautifull speakers I've ever owned. I had RTi8's, 6's, 4's and a CSi5 a few years ago. The cherry models remind me of cheap formica.

That's it for tonight. alarm goes off in 5 1/2 hours :wacko: .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It can't be good form to mount front speakers up high on a wall. Is it?

I have always thought the fronts were best at ear level.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
To me it's also a matter of tonal quality. The higher up a speaker is the brighter it becomes, at the expense of bass response. Un-fortunately there's no way of knowing what a speaker sounds like until you get it home.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did a lot of reading tonight.

Since I'd be getting such a good deal on the RTi6s...maybe I should pair them with a CSi5 center?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you got the space...I've heard the RTi6. Good sound. I just don't like "tiny" speakers...Keep in mind, my smallest pair of mains(in 7 AVR setups, no less) is the Polk S8. Hardly small...

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I haven't heard the RTi4/6 in a long time but I think you might be on to something though Mike. Replacing the current R line, which was a lower end Polk, with the RTi sounds like solid upgrade path. I think with that SVS taking care of the low end you should be good. Manufacturer specs have the RTi6's going down to 50Hz so that should be plenty low enough for the SVS to pick up the rest. In room might be lower...the R30's have about the same specs.

You could always order a set of the RTi6 and see how they sound...if you don't like them then you have a pair of books for another room or send them back. At about $160 it's not a bad way to go. Now you have me thinking.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's my current concern.

Shouldn't the speakers "toe in" towards the sweet spot? If they are wall-mounted (using the RTi6 bracket) they will project out at a right angle from the wall. Or is that not a problem?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, speakers should be toed.But...Various wave guides used on modern tweeters mitigate the need. And some speaker designs eliminate the need for toe in. If you can put it one screw...why not 3?And about hanging the wall...Going to try and hide wire? Let it stay visible?Many times a stand works best. (Or, obviously, buy the tower to start with...)By the way. The RTi8 is $400/pair...shipped.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
If you got the space...
And, amazingly I do. Wow. That CSi5 is 24 inches wide (and 14" deep)! But my space for a center is 25" (gotta double check the depth of my space again). It almost seems...serendipitous! :biggrin: It seems like I should follow the adage to spend well on the center channel.
ArmSC said:
I haven't heard the RTi4/6 in a long time but I think you might be on to something though Mike. Replacing the current R line, which was a lower end Polk, with the RTi sounds like solid upgrade path. I think with that SVS taking care of the low end you should be good. Manufacturer specs have the RTi6's going down to 50Hz so that should be plenty low enough for the SVS to pick up the rest. In room might be lower...the R30's have about the same specs.

You could always order a set of the RTi6 and see how they sound...if you don't like them then you have a pair of books for another room or send them back. At about $160 it's not a bad way to go. Now you have me thinking.
I'm starting to think this is what I might just do, Alex.
schan1269 said:
Yes, speakers should be toed.
Well, I found THIS on Amazon. There's a YouTube video for it which makes it look like it would do for me exactly what I would need to go with the higher-mounted bookshelves, break away from the el cheapo floorstanders, and make my wife a happy woman.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Done.

Ordered the RTi6s, the CSi5 (it will fit my cabinet perfectly), four mounting brackets (I'll mount my surrounds, too) and togglebolts to mount the brackets on my real plaster walls. Wow.

This is a big deal for me. I've had those budget Polks for many years.

Just before I joined the forum (December 2000), I splurged on this doozy of a system from Circuit City:

gallery_286742_34_392921.jpg

Those Jensens were awesome! :biggrin:

I then a few years later updated the sub to a Sony SA-WM40. I even did the famous WM-40 mod by myself! It was purchased used from another member of the forum via the classifieds.

The rest of the speakers got updated to the budget Polks.

Then, a couple of years ago, I pulled on my big boy pants and ordered an SVS sub! :laugh:

gallery_286742_34_90610.jpg

And now I'm hoping to take another step forward with this purchase.

As always, I'll report back whenever I get things in place (might not be until after the holidays) and major thanks to everyone who responded to this thread to offer input.

[Maybe some day I'll get me some RTi8s, Sam!]

But, in the meantime, Merry Christmas to me! :biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks