What's new

November Criterion Sale at B&N starts on 11-11-14 (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
does anyone have any info on if this will happen this year?
There are some titles I'm awaiting eagerly ....the complete Jacques Tati set, Almodovar's "Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down' and of course, 'All That Jazz'.
Please please post here as soon as there's any news! I'm in Australia so can't take advantage of Criterion's own offerings or Turner etc .. we're restricted to Amazon, Barnes&Noble and other commercial retailers for overseas shipping.

hndrsnsbks

Auditioning
Real Name
Art Henderson
Fans of Criterion should be aware that Criterion itself has the occasional surprise half-price "Flash Sale". The most recent occurred on 9 October. All you need to do is subscribe to the monthly Criterion Collection newsletter to get the announcement. If your order exceeds $50 you get free shipping.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
hndrsnsbks said:
Fans of Criterion should be aware that Criterion itself has the occasional surprise half-price "Flash Sale". The most recent occurred on 9 October. All you need to do is subscribe to the monthly Criterion Collection newsletter to get the announcement. If your order exceeds $50 you get free shipping.
Not friendly though to international customers.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Konstantinos said:
Not friendly though to international customers.
Depends on how international. Shipping was cheaper than B&N, and I should see them this week instead of 30 days later. I'm in Canada.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Russell G said:
Depends on how international. Shipping was cheaper than B&N, and I should see them this week instead of 30 days later. I'm in Canada.
I mean that they don't ship at all outside of US (and Canada as you say)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
One of the nice things with Barnes & Noble is you can pick up your titles at a store for free, too, regardless of final purchase price.
hndrsnsbks said:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
hndrsnsbks said:
Criterion will not ship to Australian addresses. I guess it's got something to do with terrorism. Maybe we'll find out too much about the American way of life.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
AnthonyClarke said:
Criterion will not ship to Australian addresses. I guess it's got something to do with terrorism. Maybe we'll find out too much about the American way of life.
It's not only Australia. Europe too.
And Africa, and Asia, and South America..
Oh, and non-English speaking Canada!
We only ship our DVDs in the United States and to English-speaking Canada.
http://www.criterion.com/order_support#q4

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
AnthonyClarke said:
Konstantinos said:
It's not only Australia. Europe too.
And Africa, and Asia, and South America..
Probably due to them only having the titles licensed for sale in Region 1 or A (north america) and they are not legally allowed to sell direct to other countries. Which is why many Criterion titles are released by Arrow in the UK under the ARROW ACADAMY label. B&N does not have the same restriction since they are a third party seller.

Of course, if bizarre conspiracy theories about terrorism float your boat, feel free to believe it I guess. :P

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
They say that, but Eureka, Arrow, Flicker Alley, Vinegar Syndrome, Distribpix, Code Red (until just recently anyway) all manage to ship to countries where they don't have the rights to the films, and have done for many years. They certainly wouldn't be allowed to open a UK or Australian shop and sell them, but I don't think anything prevents them from shipping outside of their territory.

hndrsnsbks

Auditioning
Real Name
Art Henderson
hndrsnsbks said:
I should add that Criterion Newsletter subscribers also get e-mails calling attention to the B&N half-price sales.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Starts 11/11 and continues through the month of November, ending Dec. 1.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Thanks - Will take this opportunity to upgrade my copy of THE VANISHING. I've been slowly upgrading some of my Criterion DVDs to Blu-rays through various promotions. They're still $20 a pop even after the discounts but some of them are worth it :)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
cineMANIAC said:
Thanks - Will take this opportunity to upgrade my copy of THE VANISHING. I've been slowly upgrading some of my Criterion DVDs to Blu-rays through various promotions. They're still $20 a pop even after the discounts but some of them are worth it :)
Well in-store with various available discounts, they are often quite a bit less than $20. Even with just a basic "Free Trial Membership" the std $39.99 MSRP items are $18.

Adding extra 20% (or greater coupons) unfortunately always devolves into a store by store issue though approaching Black Friday BN often has put out 20/25/30 and up to 40% coupons which can especially make purchases of those large boxsets amazingly cheap. Last sale, these coupons were allowed for online purchases so hopefully this will apply this sale as well.

For those who have participated before, BN has started it's annual Gift Card deal -- between 11/2 and 12/1, Buy a regular $75 GC and get a Free Promotional $10 GC for future use (the promo card doesn't activate until 12/26, but it also doesn't expire so many people just save them for the July Sale. Online this is once per account, but instore GC purchases have allowed one promo card for each $75

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, the sale is now on.Just checked the B&N website, and Criterion titles are half-price

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
David Weicker said:
Well, the sale is now on.Just checked the B&N website, and Criterion titles are half-price
thanks for the heads up. Got my order in. Only four titles since Criterion just had their own flash sale.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
And I've just ordered the complete Jacques Tati set, All That Jazz and Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down.
That should do for right now. And it's still the 11th here in Australia .. great to get in early!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks