What's new

Samsung Curved TV? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This past Sunday's Best Buy circular shows a couple of Samsung Curved TV's. There's a 55 and 65 inch model listed. Model numbers are UN55H8000AFXZA and UN65H8000AFXZA. Anyone heard anything about these curved TV's? There's a blurb about is drawing you in from every angle. My initial thinking is that this was be a poor shape for viewing at an angle.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Johnny Angell said:
This past Sunday's Best Buy circular shows a couple of Samsung Curved TV's. There's a 55 and 65 inch model listed. Model numbers are UN55H8000AFXZA and UN65H8000AFXZA. Anyone heard anything about these curved TV's? There's a blurb about is drawing you in from every angle. My initial thinking is that this was be a poor shape for viewing at an angle.
CNET is doing a series on these where the reviewer spends a month, I believe, with one of these. His main gripes are poor off-angle viewing AND the curved screen distorts the picture, especially graphics like tickers, sub's, etc, at the top and bottom. Personally, I think the curved screen is an aesthetic gimmick with no discernable benefit to viewing.

UnitedInterfaces

Auditioning
Real Name
Dominick
I Agree, it seems to be a gimmick.

I think that the concept of having an immersive curved screen display is definitely on the forefront of where things are heading, with regards to personal home theaters and media rooms.

The main problem I have with curved screen flat-panel TV's is their size, and to get the right effect you really need to have quite a large screen.

All of the curved screens that I have implemented into my designs are all driven by projectors. Even though these setups require additional hardware, and in some cases software, it really is the way to completely immerse yourself into the media being delivered. Curved flat-panels in my opinion will never be able to match the visuals that you can achieve with a little help from projectors.

You can seen one of my designs here: (https://www.google.com/+UnitedInterfaceTechnologiesLosAngeles) under the photos tab. Not the best example, but I have some other photos of the Baby IMAX Theater's that I have been implementing for residential home theaters, I just haven't had the time to upload them yet.

Thanks for the link Sam Posten

-Dom

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jason Charlton said:
Yet another solution in search of a problem.
Not even that. This solves nothing. This is differentiation without purpose. It's engineering that makes the product worse. Human vision doesn't suffer from field curvature so much that we need a curved object surface. A curved screen for a front projector could make sense, as it could compensate for projector aberrations. But that doesn't apply for direct view displays.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I guess I'm the only one here who actually likes the look of a curved screen. To me it represents a home version of those old giant-screen movie theaters where the screens were curved. I've been to a few screenings with such screens, sadly those theaters no longer exist but I vividly remember how immersive the experience was. For a curved home theater TV to have any impact, though, I think a screen would have to be 70" or larger and plasma. An LCD wouldn't do it justice.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Those screens, I assume, were curved to accommodate the field curvature of the projectors. There is no field curvature to correct in a direct display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks