What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Way We Were -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sidney Pollack was a brilliant filmmaker. He began his directing career in feature films in 1965, with The Slender Thread, after acting, and then directing TV beginning in 1956.

Between 1965 and 2005, he directed almost twenty films, acted and produced others, and left an indelible print upon the film industry.

The Swimmer, Castle Keep, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Jeremiah Johnson, Three Days of the Condor, Absence of Malice, Out of Africa, Tootsie...

You get the point.

His eighth film, produced in 1973 in a brilliant production, knitting together themes that I'll not get into.

I've always remembered the opening sequences, as they reek of three-stip Technicolor. But it's Panavision. It can't be... It's all production design, cinematography (Harry Stradling, Jr.), make-up and set design.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that I was watching three-strip. Perfection is all about what Mr. Pollack stood for.

I could not be more thrilled that those archivists at Columbia have once again created a perfect HD version of this film. Take a look, and you'll swear you're seeing Technicolor.

Did I mention Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford in the leads? Music by Marvin Hamlisch?

Okay.

Short and sweet. Another perfect Blu-ray release.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

This is one of those films, much a Broadway musical, when someone sitting in front of you, says those dreaded words... "Oh, is that song from this?"

Yes, it is.

This is yet another...

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I watched this last night. Thank you Sydney Pollack for one of the truly great '70's films. The blu-ray looks incredible as do the two movie stars- in their PRIME.. Thanks RAH too - I was awaiting your critique.

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Thanks RAH!

I still need to finish watching my copy, but it *is* a gorgeous Blu. The colors in the opening scene at the nightclub -- especially Streisand's red nails and lips -- are striking!

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Yes, one week after TT said shipping had begun, I got my shipping notice yesterday. Cannot wait. .

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
babsdude said:
Thanks RAH!

I still need to finish watching my copy, but it *is* a gorgeous Blu. The colors in the opening scene at the nightclub -- especially Streisand's red nails and lips -- are striking!
The colors are indeed vibrant.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I received mine today. This is my 4th Blu-ray from Twilight Time:

1. The Egyptian
2. Steel Magnolias
3. Oliver!
4. The Way We Were

I need to hurry up and get "Bye Bye Birdie" too.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Going into this viewing, I wasn't expecting much, other than another impeccable transfer by Mr. Crisp and his Sony team. I mean, I was so indifferent about The Way We Were when originally released back in '73, I hadn't even bothered to rent it in any home video format since. So figuring I would have little of positive value to add to this discussion, I was prepared to just give this title a pass and say nothing at all...discretion being the better part of valour, and all.

However, after the fascinating commentary track by Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo for Jane Eyre (together with Bernard Herrmann biographer Steven C. Smith), I thought..."What the hey Mae, let's just cut to the chase here and watch TWWW with the 2nd commentary on." I wasn't burning to see this picture again to begin with, so perhaps their discussion would offer some entertainment value above and beyond what I could reasonably expect from the film itself.

That it surely did...and then some! What an absolute gasssss hearing Redman and Kirgo gab about this movie. To be expected was their customary behind-the-scenes insight and sidebar trivia befitting experienced film archivists...what I wasn't expecting was their often free-associative, digressive-within-digression, yet very entertaining banter about what this picture means to them...heck, just like any other enthusiastic fan. And that enthusiasm was frankly infectious...now I actually like this movie more than ever previously imagined...which, believe me, took some doing.

Plus it was routinely funny in another regard. For anyone who has heard Nick Redman in home video commentaries (has anyone done more?), this guy is typically so prepared, organized, and on script that he invariably becomes the 'eye-of-the-storm' as a moderating presence, more often than not saying things like "In the upcoming scene we'll see..." or "In this next sequence, notice how...". However, here with Kirgo, both were often so engaged in their lively repartee - and naturally engaging us with them - that I lost count how many times they had to almost sheepishly add catch-up words to the effect that "In the sequence that just passed..." or "In this scene we just missed..."

Yeah, I know, I must be making this sound like a really b-a-d commentary track, but absolutely not so! In fact, I think it's one of the most genuinely engaging and informative I've heard in years. I sure hope there's an award for this kind of thing, because this one was a hoot! Thanks to the new Nick and Nora Charles of film commentaries, I actually like this picture now...so there's something indeed to be said for that!

Bravo! Brava! More!!! ;)

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Since I can't see it listed on any of the DVD releases, am I correct in assuming they recorded the commentary for this release?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
ROclockCK said:
Going into this viewing, I wasn't expecting much, other than another impeccable transfer by Mr. Crisp and his Sony team. I mean, I was so indifferent about The Way We Were when originally released back in '73, I hadn't even bothered to rent it in any home video format since. So figuring I would have little of positive value to add to this discussion, I was prepared to just give this title a pass and say nothing at all...discretion being the better part of valour, and all.

However, after the fascinating commentary track by Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo for Jane Eyre (together with Bernard Herrmann biographer Steven C. Smith), I thought..."What the hey Mae, let's just cut to the chase here and watch TWWW with the 2nd commentary on." I wasn't burning to see this picture again to begin with, so perhaps their discussion would offer some entertainment value above and beyond what I could reasonably expect from the film itself.

That it surely did...and then some! What an absolute gasssss hearing Redman and Kirgo gab about this movie. To be expected was their customary behind-the-scenes insight and sidebar trivia befitting experienced film archivists...what I wasn't expecting was their often free-associative, digressive-within-digression, yet very entertaining banter about what this picture means to them...heck, just like any other enthusiastic fan. And that enthusiasm was frankly infectious...now I actually like this movie more than ever previously imagined...which, believe me, took some doing.

Plus it was routinely funny in another regard. For anyone who has heard Nick Redman in home video commentaries (has anyone done more?), this guy is typically so prepared, organized, and on script that he invariably becomes the 'eye-of-the-storm' as a moderating presence, more often than not saying things like "In the upcoming scene we'll see..." or "In this next sequence, notice how...". However, here with Kirgo, both were often so engaged in their lively repartee - and naturally engaging us with them - that I lost count how many times they had to almost sheepishly add catch-up words to the effect that "In the sequence that just passed..." or "In this scene we just missed..."

Yeah, I know, I must be making this sound like a really b-a-d commentary track, but absolutely not so! In fact, I think it's one of the most genuinely engaging and informative I've heard in years. I sure hope there's an award for this kind of thing, because this one was a hoot! Thanks to the new Nick and Nora Charles of film commentaries, I actually like this picture now...so there's something indeed to be said for that!

You summed up my thoughts on what Nick and Julia have been adding to the Twilight releases. Her background in the inserts first grabbed my attention on the love they have for these releases.

Bravo! Brava! More!!! ;)

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I agree here. Redman & Kirgo's audio track is REALLY fun and informative as well. Frankly, they explained the whole subplot of Katie being a communist in college and her transformation into a supportive FDR fan better than I've ever heard. I had no historical perspective, and the movie doesn't explain it.

Huge Streisand fan here, so I'm loving this Blu-ray. I was a bit shocked by the red lipstick and fingernails in the opening scene, but everything else looks amazing.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
i hadn't realized over the years how much acting Sydney Pollack had done. I just saw him last night in a Twilight Zone episode, "The Trouble With Templeton." I had always thought of him as a director who did the occasional walk-on role. His TV credits are pretty extensive in the 50s and 60s.

Robert Redford did The Twilight Zone as well: "Nothing in the Dark".

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
ROclockCK said:

Bravo! Brava! More!!! ;)
So glad you enjoyed the commentary, Steve, for good or ill we have a bunch more coming…:)

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
babsdude said:
I agree here. Redman & Kirgo's audio track is REALLY fun and informative as well. Frankly, they explained the whole subplot of Katie being a communist in college and her transformation into a supportive FDR fan better than I've ever heard. I had no historical perspective, and the movie doesn't explain it.

Huge Streisand fan here, so I'm loving this Blu-ray. I was a bit shocked by the red lipstick and fingernails in the opening scene, but everything else looks amazing.
Thanks, Matt--we had a lot of fun doing it! Julie is the ideal partner for such a gab-fest...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Another reason to get this disc while it is still available is that recent broadcasts of the film on TCM and the Sony Movie Channel have been at 1:78 fulls screen and not OAR 2:35:1. Don't know what's up with that. Surprisingly there was no warning that the film has been altered to fit the screen. Hope this won't be the new normal for Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks