What's new

MARVEL is bringing four new live-action shows to Netflix leading to a "Defenders event" (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
http://m.superherohype.com/news/articles/180201-marvel-and-netflix-team-on-four-series-leading-up-to-the-defenders
Inc. today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel's most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling."This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.""Marvel's movies, such as 'Iron Man' and Marvel's 'The Avengers', are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels," said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. "With 'House of Cards' and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."This new original TV deal follows last year's landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.
So a Daredevil series, along with Luke Cage and others!Aren't Dr. Strange and the Hulk members of the Defenders? I'd be willing to bet they bring them in for the Defenders event. Wild. Pretty damn wild.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
How can I edit the thread title?It should read "Defenders event". With an "s" and a closing quotation mark. Am I missing something in the editor because I'm on a mobile device?Oh, and live action not live actions. Jeeze I suck.Edit: Thanks for the fixes!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My post got lost. But wow, this is huge news. Daredevil in particular will do well as an episodic series, especially with the great cart of supporting characters. You know who would make a great Matt Murdock? Dan Stevens, the actor who played Mathew on Downton Abbey. The likeness is dead-on.And doing the deal with Netflix? Broadcast TV just went pfffffft.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm disappointed that we're not getting an Agent Carter period-set series, but I'll definitely give these a try. The most encouraging thing is that they're going to be Netflix series. That strongly points to a much more serialized approach than the very episodic "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.".The Daredevil series is the most interesting project by far, but I'll be interested to see how they tackle Jessica Jones. Are they going to go for an origin story with a teenage Jessica Jones with the car accident and the whole bit, or are they going to start it out with her having been superpowered for a while and working as a hardened private investigator? And will she fly?EDIT: Whoops! Not sure what was going through my head there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Daredevil series is the most interesting project by far, but I'll be interested to see how they tackle January Jones. Are they going to go for an origin story with a teenage January Jones with the car accident and the whole bit, or are they going to start it out with her having been superpowered for a while and working as a hardened private investigator? And will she fly?
And will there be a crossover with Mad Men? :D

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I wouldn't rule out a Daredevil film at some point in the distant future. But if so, it'll likely be a jump of the character established in the TV series to the movies. Though I wouldn't expect that for quite a while.
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Josh Dial said:
I'd prefer a Doctor Strange movie before Daredevil.
I think it's almost 100% guaranteed that Dr. Strange will be one of MARVEL's Phase 3 films. Feige has alluded to it many times.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Sean Bryan said:
I think it's almost 100% guaranteed that Dr. Strange will be one of MARVEL's Phase 3 films. Feige has alluded to it many times.
Yup. I was just voicing my general dislike for Daredevil--and really all the "street level" heroes, including Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. Iron Fist is tolerable, but Cage and Jones have literally never been interesting, and are always poorly written (I like Bendis but even he can't save Jessica Jones from mediocrity).

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Think Fox (and Elektra) has permanently stunk up the prospect of Disney ever doing another Daredevil movie, although that doesn't mean D/M doesn't own them, and we're glad they're back in the family again. It's just the principle of the thing.

And considering that their Luke Cage/Iron Fist movie was stuck in pre-planning limbo forever, it's a good way of getting ALL their nebulous projects out of memos and onto a more harmless medium than cluttering up the MCU Phase 2.
As for whether Jessica will still be Power Woman...hey: It's still network TV. You tell me. :rolleyes:
Sam Favate said:
And doing the deal with Netflix? Broadcast TV just went pfffffft.
It's nothing "revolutionary", D/M's only making the deal with Netflix because A) Netflix wants to keep its House of Cards bragging rights, and B) Disney still has their "exclusive" deal with Netflix that lets us watch Mulan and Tinkerbell on streaming.

Broadcast TV already went pffffft when they made Skye the main character on Agents of SHIELD.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
There's a nice interview with Bob Iger here:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=89720A few good excerpts:
Bob Iger on the overall deal with Netflix. "This is a really smart deal we think, for Netflix because they've done well already with some investments in original programming. And turning to branded programming is a smart and big step for them and Marvel certainly provides that. This gives us an opportunity to create and own four new series that Netflix will have exclusivity [on] for a period of time, starting in 2016, when the series are made available to them...These will be well-produced series that will take production investment to deliver the type of quality that we promised to Netflix." Why Disney went with Netflix when they're a part owner of Hulu. "We actually talked about making these series available to others. And there was quite a bit of interest for these properties in the marketplace. The answer is yes, we will as a company, create more original programming for platforms that are not ours. We have some great networks with ABC, ABC Family, The Disney Channel, not to mention ESPN and Life but they're not going to buy original, scripted programming for a while. But we can sell just so much programming from Marvel, we've got a good show in S.H.I.E.L.D. and another one being developed for ABC- more plans on our Disney channel with Marvel, but this seemed to be a great opportunity and I think there will be other opportunities on other platforms to do some more things."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Hollywood Reporter: Whedon Alum to Write, Run Disney's Netflix Drama 'Daredevil'I like this news in the sense that Drew Goddard's a good writer who has done a lot of work I like. But I wish they'd step out of the Whedon bullpen to bring some fresh and outside voices into the mix. I don't want the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe to become the Marvel Universe as interpreted exclusively by Mutant Enemy.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
He wrote for Buffy, Angel, and LOST, right? Also wrote Cabin in the Woods, and is a big Daredevil fan. Seems like a solid choice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should be careful what I wish for:Deadline: Twilight scribe Melissa Rosenberg To Write, Run Marvel’s Jessica Jones Series For NetflixOn the plus side, she was the head writer for the early, more critically acclaimed seasons of "Dexter". She also has superhero experience, having written for The WB's lackluster but watchable Batman spin-off "Birds of Prey".But counting against her, aside from five terrible Twilight screenplays, is "Red Widow". It was the first show she served as showrunner on, and it was absolutely awful.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I have absolutely zero familiarity with the Jessica Jones character. Can anyone provide a brief summary on what this character is all about?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know much. She went to school with Peter Parker and had a secret crush on him (obviously, a complete retcon). She then developed some sort of superpowers (I think flight and strength), which she doesn't use much any more. She started a detective agency and later married Luke Cage, after which she mainly stayed around Avengers mansion looking after their kid. I think she's now out of the mansion and in the background to protect her kid from the Avengers' craziness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks