What's new

Thoughts on Aereo for streaming local broadcasts? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone here tried Aereo for streaming local broadcasts? Seems like a fairly new company/service, and currently only provides service to a few big cities w/ NYC being their first.

Am thinking to use it w/ a Roku to cut the cable "cord" for my mother -- she only uses cable for basic service from TWC, which they charge $22-24/month(?) after tax+fees. Would just go for OTA via antenna myself, which is what I've done for ages now, but her location is trickier than mine, and she doesn't want to fuss w/ an indoor antenna -- outdoor/rooftop is a no-go.

For $8/month, it comes w/ some additional benefits like DVR (in the cloud w/ 20 hours of storage) and works w/ upto 5(?) devices per account (though only seems to support iOS, not Android, for mobiles, which should be fine for her) -- recording 2 simultaneous streams (plus additional 40 hours) would cost a few bucks more.

I just signed up for their 1-month free trial, but figured I might as well check here to see if others have additional experience/insights w/ it or maybe some other competiting service...

The Roku would of course make streaming easier for her and would be used w/ NF, Amazon, maybe Hulu, etc. although her Panny LCD already came w/ apps for the main ones we'd care about, so we might forgo the Roku if not for additional service like Aereo. Haven't actually tried the LCD's apps yet to see how well they handle streaming since I'm still waiting for her 3Mbps DSL service to be set up later this week.

Thanks for any helpful info/advice on this.

Cheers!

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Actually, I wonder if the new broadcast capabilities that should be coming via the Freedom Tower will also render paid services for local broadcasts even less essential. Certainly, I would think the more powerful, less obstructed, nearer broadcast signal from the Tower should make reception more reliable for my neighborhood/house though not sure it'd be quite enough for reliable reception where my mother lives, particular since her windows face south along the southern shore of Brooklyn...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks