What's new

FOX MOD scope news (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine, in the industry, with good contacts, called me last night.

Fox is rethinking the MOD program because of
1. no sales on scope films
2. super brad press everywhere.

Serious consideration is now being given to releasing scope films in the proper ration, more than likely beginning with
The best things in life are Free - as that tile drew the most complaints.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think Fox took this program seriously as far as PQ is concern. When HTF visited their studio last October, I told some of their marketing people about the non-OAR issues and they didn't appear to take what I was saying as a legitimate complaint as they cracked a joke about the term "pan and scan". Hopefully, they will see the light as I refuse to buy any of their MOD titles, but will continue to support Warner's Archive program. It's too bad the effort placed in their BD catalog output isn't being used on their MOD program.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Good news I guess in that they're actually acknowledging the major fault with this line. Quality control is necessary for a studio product like this. The widescreen films aren't the only problem even many of the academy ratio films suffer from very lackluster VHS-era (or earlier) video presentations. Also, there are films like Professional Soldier presented with serious video defects that should warrant a recall.

The most glaring screw-up of the line is, not only allowing P&S titles to be in the MOD line in the first place, but putting even the slightest bit of effort in locating the best available transfers instead of grabbing the first one off the shelf. Films like 23 Paces to Baker Street, Night People, Madison Avenue, and Goodbye Charlie are only a few examples of FCA titles that certainly have superior widescreen transfers (or at least letter boxed) transfers already done and available yet bypassed out of complete indifference (or possibly ignorance).

It's a shame because 20th Century Fox is capable of doing so much better with this line and giving its competitors a run for their money. Their deep catalog blu-ray releases this year have been outstanding for the most part, but the FCA is sorely lacking and even kinda embarrassing in contrast.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I think the "duh" factor has finally hit them. Fox Exec: "Why hasn't our mod program succeeded? WB Archives is going gangbusters, why aren't we? (Headslap) Oh, DUH!!!"

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks Joe,
If true, then this is exciting and wonderful news.

Let's hope that they also re-visit and tackle the heinous and abhorrent transfers of some of their earlier 4:3 titles as well.

ps,
Anybody interested in an "only played once" pan and scan copy of "The Best Things in Life Are Free" :D

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Joe,
Boy I sure hope that this is true. I 100% agree that the program needs to be revisited and that Fox needs to take the criticism to heart and totally rethink how they present their widescreen era films. The Fox catalog has so many great gems that if the program was done properly and up to the same caliber as the WAC, I think that the program could be very successful for them. My only fear is that even if they do get their act together, I just hope that the people will give them a second look or second chance.
I feel that with the right direction, this program could sell just as well, if not better than the other programs, due to the great content that Fox has.
If they truly do start remastering the titles in 16:9 widescreen, there are a ton of films that I would love to own and many more I'd love to request release.

I've been hesitant to request titles for fear that they would come out pan and scan. Really hoping that Fox turns a new leaf and makes the proper changes necessary to make their program viable and competitive in the MOD market.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Joe Caps said:
A friend of mine, in the industry, with good contacts, called me last night.

Fox is rethinking the MOD program because of
1. no sales on scope films
2. super brad press everywhere.

Serious consideration is now being given to releasing scope films in the proper ration, more than likely beginning with
The best things in life are Free - as that tile drew the most complaints.
Unbelievable! Thank heaven Fox has finally woken up!
Doug Bull said:
Thanks Joe,
If true, then this is exciting and wonderful news.

Let's hope that they also re-visit and tackle the heinous and abhorrent transfers of some of their earlier 4:3 titles as well.

ps,
Anybody interested in an "only played once" pan and scan copy of "The Best Things in Life Are Free" :D
You should hold onto it; that disc would make a wonderful coaster.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If they really wanted to warm the hearts of film collectors, they would offer an exchange program for any DVD's they subsequently remaster in anamorphic widescreen. A pain in the ass, and expensive, but the goodwill this would engender would make it worth Fox's while.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Thanks for the news Joe.
This may cause them to also offer a wider range of titles to Twilight Time (a few, like APRIL LOVE, were knocked back due to quality issues) and give them an opportunity to re-issue certain titles like VIOLENT SATURDAY (recently released on Blu Ray in France).
"Let the remastering begin!"

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Fox waited so long and their catalgue was so rich that I was really hoping that their program would be like Warner Archives. I've been very disappointed in it, and hopefully it will start to improve.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's hope this actually happens. I am concerned because they thought they could throw out an inferior product to us and we would accept it. With that type of leadership in the Fox MOD program, do you really believe they will now do right? I will keep my fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dick said:
If they really wanted to warm the hearts of film collectors, they would offer an exchange program for any DVD's they subsequently remaster in anamorphic widescreen. A pain in the ass, and expensive, but the goodwill this would engender would make it worth Fox's while.
It would also provide much needed press to highlight that there is a difference between its old and new lines.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Going by their latest upcoming release announcements nothing has changed yet.

Anybody for a full screen version of the Cinemascope Musical "Mardi Gras"?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
Going by their latest upcoming release announcements nothing has changed yet.

Anybody for a full screen version of the Cinemascope Musical "Mardi Gras"?
No sale here!

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm a huge Ernest Borgnine fan and bought "The Best Things in Life Are Free" and "Three Brave Men", both panned and scanned to an inch of their lives -- the thought of a remastered 16;9 widesceen version of both would be great (also 'Free' was the final movie of Michael Curtiz) -- could a MOD bluray be even better?​

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
The recent announcement of a Panned and Scanned release of APRIL LOVE, a much sought after title once announced for a Twilight Time release, has kind of put a big wet blanket on the above news. Collectors may be tempted to march on Fox and re-enact another classic Fox title:THE OX-BOW INCIDENT...........

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Brian McP said:
I'm a huge Ernest Borgnine fan and bought "The Best Things in Life Are Free" and "Three Brave Men", both panned and scanned to an inch of their lives -- the thought of a remastered 16;9 widesceen version of both would be great (also 'Free' was the final movie of Michael Curtiz) -- could a MOD bluray be even better?
I'd edit out the highlighted passage if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks