What's new

HELP! New Sharp LC70LE857U audio not in sync with video... (1 Viewer)

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I'm about ready to go crazy watching TV shows and DVD's Blu-rays. Since I've set up my new TV it is very noticeable that the audio of people speaking is slightly out of sync with the video movement of their mouths. I've tried going direct from the source to the HDMI input on the TV and by passing my receiver with no luck on the DVD Blu-Ray. I mean sometimes it seems slightly better for no apparent reason but most often it seems slightly out of sync. I have turned off the Aquos Link and tried using the TV's audio and again it sees like sometimes it's better but other times is seems out of sync. So nothing I've tested really has shown and conclusive results of improvement or change. I've tried different HDMI inputs but still same results. The thing is I didn't seem to have this problem with my previous TV which was a Sharp LC-65SE94U, and none of my other equipment changed. Any ideas would be great and thanks in advance!

My equipment is as follows:
Sharp LC70LE857U LED TV
Sony BDP-S590 Blu-Ray 3D player
AudioQuest Cinnamon (Black) HDMI Cable's (2 years old)
Pioneer VSX-23TXH receiver
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Often times, the image "enhancements" that LCD displays utilize are a contributing factor to audio/video lag issues. In your case, since the problem is present even when feeding the signal direct to the display, I would say this is very likely to be the cause.

Turn off/disable all of that stuff from within your picture settings menu. In particular, make sure "Motion Enhancement" is off, "Quad Pixel Plus 2" is off, and "Digital Noise Reduction" is off.

I see there are some other "features" available only when you're in "Vintage Movie" mode - make sure you're not in "Vintage Movie" mode.

In the least, this should help with the lag. If we're lucky, it will eliminate it alltogether.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
yeah still not 100% corrected problem but it's better but then again it seems as if I am turning off EVERYTHING that supposedly makes the picture best. Did I just buy the wrong TV? Outside of a plasma what other TV in the 70" 3D range is know to not have issues such as this or do they all have these issues?

Thanks

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK so I returned the TV for a full refund. But now I am looking again for a TV for my home theater room. I am looking for 70" LED (don't really want Plasma), with great picture, it could be a 4K, want 3D but don't needed it, and no issues with audio / video sync such as I described above. I'd welcome any ideas pertaining to the features I listed.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
What of these would you choose again making sure there are no issues with audio/video lip sync issues.

Panasonic 65” 3D 1080p Plasma Model: TCP65ST60
Panasonic 65” 3D 1080p Plasma Model: TCP65VT60
Sony 65” 4K Ultra HD TV Model: XBR65X900A

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Definitely not the Sony.Period, simple...If you want a great picture with zero issues...Buy a plasma while you still can.Samsung and Vizio have confused Joe Consumer into buying LCD. Panasonic may cut off TV production next year(LCD and plasma).It is widely believed OLED will be price competitive by 2015. Spelling the end for plasma, LCD and quite possibly...projectors(of all design).

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK after doing research I'm think that 65" is fine and I don't need 70". 65" by the way is the same size as was my last TV, but the day I bought the new one 4 weeks ago, I gave away to my borther in-law. But I have see nthis TV has really good user ratings and good reviews: Panasonic 65” 3D 1080p Plasma Model: TCP65VT60 So I'm thinking this is the one I'm going to get. Some common review highlights are listed below. The only weakness I'm worried about is "Gaming Mode helps to cut input lag and make for a good experience". As I really don't understand what it is refering to but since I just had a bad lip sync problem with the newest TV the word "lag" scares me a bit. Thanks for any input!

Strengths: We have seen the best black levels in the market on this one, The Ultra Filter works wonders with bright room light, After getting the 3D settings right, 3D performance is excellent, Built-in THX Picture Setting modes are great presets, The number of available apps and load times, Very fast internet connection over Wifi, Side Angle Viewing Great as with most Plasma displays, Gaming Mode helps to cut input lag and make for a good experience

Weaknesses: Not considered a value model by any means, 2D to 3D Conversion is hard to watch, Voice/Smart Interaction (facial recognition), It's hard to find the extra value in the Touchpad remote, We would have like to see more HDMI inputs

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I doubt you'll be disappointed with the Panny plasma. In terms of the "weaknesses" you list:

- "value model" would better describe the ST version rather than the admittedly pricier VT version. The things the VT includes that the ST does not:

[*]Face recognition for 2D to 3D conversions
[*]Touch pad remote (moot point if you already have a nice universal)
[*]THX picture presets (nice to have as it ensures all artificial modes are defeated, but you can achieve the same thing using custom settings on the ST)
[*]Extra shades of "gradation"
[*]And a few other, mostly esoteric features
[/list]
- "2D to 3D conversion is hard to watch" - well, just about ANY sort of auto "conversion" effect is going to have mixed results. For me, 3D has zero importance, so I don't consider this a knock at all.

- "more HDMI inputs" - if you connect your devices the "right" way, that is, everything to your receiver, then a single HDMI from receiver to TV, then you only need ONE HDMI input. From the sounds of your first post, you DO connect things the right way, so this should not be a concern for you.

I wish I could swing upgrading our ancient 32" 4:3 CRT TV in the family room. I've already essentially chosen the 50" Panny ST (or whatever the equivalent is whenever we decide to make the switch).

I've seen a 60 or 65" VT in action and it was spectacular.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Thanks Jason - Yes I do connect everything I can via my Reciever! The 2D to 3D conversion is of zero importance to me, althought true 3D Blu-ray's I will watch. I don't care about the built in apps, face recognition and touch pad remote as I have as I use a URC MX-3000 and I love it. This TV is dedicated to my home theater and in fact I don't even have console games attached to it. So the only issues I was really concerned about was the comment regarding the ""Gaming Mode helps to cut input lag and make for a good experience". But since I posting the post you responded to, I've seen some really impressive internet video reviews on this TV and they all sound really good and it appears this TV is no less than second best on any lists and on some it is the best for comparable models. So I'm pretty sure I'm goign with it! I'm going tonight to look at it in person one last time!

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Picked up the new Panasonic TCP65VT60 this morning... I will post an update once I get it setup later tonight!!! Price was $3,002 I think I got a good deal with it being a local purcahse!

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK the new Panasonic TCP65VT60 is awesome! This TV has the best picture quality I've seen on any TV I watch! The Black levels are CRAZY AWESOME! Their actually black and not just dark shades of grey, and shadows are really shadows that you can still see all the details and not jsut washed out darker/colorless areas. The TV performacne is great and one thing I noticed right away is that when watching Blu-Ray's such as Transformers etc. that have fast action, and camera panning there is ZERO juddering effects or problems. The picture motion is smooth as you could ever hope for, and that is one thing I've hated and has bugged me with every LCD and LED TV's I've owned. I've not watch any 3D yet and will update when I do.

Thanks for all the help with picking my new TV!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
It's hard to fathom the reasoning behind the popularity of LCD displays once you've seen the light (or dark, as it were ;) ) with regards to a good plasma display.

I guess it's just another case of clever and relentless marketing campaigns trumping quantitative performance data. "The LCD picture's not as good as plasma, but it's THINNER and has SmoothMotionPro GT-5000 Ultra24 Quad-Bitrate Upsampling Plus©®™ processing!".

Glad you're enjoying the set. Cheers!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did the VT60 keep the 72/96* mode this year?If so...that is why there is no judder.*I forget which Panny used in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks