What's new

Dilemma - 2.1 Soundbar or Receiver with junk speakers (1 Viewer)

Peter Morrone

Auditioning
I'm new to home theater and have a dilemma. My father gave me a new set of Paramax P-7 5.1 speakers (I know all about the scam). However, I do not have a receiver. My choice right now is either get a Pioneer VSX-522 receiver to hook these up to, or skip these speakers entirely and go with a Panasonic SC-HTIB15 Soundbar system with subwoofer.

I've got a Best Buy gift card that can cover either of these two options. Thanks for the help!

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I'd get the receiver. Take the gift of the "Paramax" speakers and hook them up for now. Then start saving money for better speakers later on.

Yes, the "white van" speakers are crap ... but the receiver gives you an upgrade path to full 5.1/7.1 with better speakers as your future budgets permit. The sound bar locks you in to a 2.1 configuration, and you'd have to toss it and replace it with a receiver and speakers someday in the future. That, and most sound bars that sell for a couple hundred $$$ aren't audiophile-approved anyway.

The receiver is a more lasting solution and more future-proof.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If Sam didn't reply I'd agree with Colin. (Unless you had somewhere else to use the soundbar, say a bedroon, so that you could later just move it and buy a complete system for your main HT.)

But with Sam's response I have to ask - Sam, wouldn't all modern receivers just go into protect mode?

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I would get the receiver. I know two people with "White Van Speakers" and one of them paid $150 for two floors standing speakers with 12" woofers and honestly, they play fine and he is very happy with his $150 speakers. They have been working for a couple of years. Vocals are somewhat dull, highs are a bit piercing and annoying and the bass is strong and solid, perhaps slightly booming. But I would say for $150 he did not get ripped off.
The other friend paid more then twice as much for a similar speaker, different name, he got ripped off, but his speakers also work fine

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Comparing a White Van tower speaker to this Bose Acoustimass impersonator is not the same thing.And sure, he could buy an AVR and let it occasionally go into protect...sure, why not...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks