What's new

Yamaha YHT-298 vs Onkyo HT-S5400 (1 Viewer)

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Hi friends..
I am planning to buy one of the above two models.. when I compare these two ..
I find Onkyo has 7.1 speakers & Yamaha has 5.1 but I am fine with 5.1 system
but I am not an expert to compare the receivers.. so, can somebody help in comparing them.
Thanks,
Balu

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well it is the Yamaha RX-V473, which is available separately.
The Onkyo uses the HT-R590, which is not available separate...but is related to the HT-RC360 minus the networking(if it were available separate...which Onkyo does, some years, offer the HTiB receivers separately...it would have been the HT-RC350). It is also last years. The new one is the 5500.
So, the essential differences...
Yamaha gets YPAO, which wins over the Aud 2EQ the Onkyo has. (YPAO however does not win if you move up the Onkyo line to a receiver with Multi-EQ)
The Yamaha also has networking (which you'd get by moving up to the 6500 Onkyo)
The Onkyo is more configurable for the day you replace the hideous speakers it came with(this "hideous" also applies to the Yamaha speakers)
Onkyo gives you DPL IIz(read up on it)
But...
It isn't fair to compare these two. The 298 should be compared against the 6500. And then it matters if the extra features the 6500 has is worth the $100.

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Thanks for all your updates... just one question.. You said Onkyo can be upgraded.. But can't RX-V473 be upgraded later on with High end Speakers??

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Thanks for all your updates... just one question.. You said Onkyo can be upgraded.. But can't RX-V473 be upgraded later on with High end Speakers??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I said "more configurable"...(and I should expound on that)...
Yamaha (along with Pioneer/Elite and a few others) use one crossover. Arguably YPAO is the best auto room correct there is(Trinnov and Anthem's version notwithstanding).
But, YPAO is best(and is meant to work with) identical speakers. So, when the day comes to replace the 5 speakers you got...buy 5 "same size" speakers(meaning 2 pairs of the same thing and the center).
Onkyo (along with its sister brand Integra...as well as Denon/Marantz, HK, Anthem and a few others) uses multiple crossovers. So you can buy tower fronts and bookshelf rears.
So...upgrading your speakers "later on" is easier to do with the Onkyo. But YPAO is still the better room correction.
So you have the trade-off...

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Thanks for detailed explanation
Having read ur comments, have decided to go with YHT-298 or YHT-296.. as these are lot cheaper than onkyo 5400
I see both Receiver configurations looks almost same except 4K pass though & USB available in YHT-298
What is this 4K Pass .. How much is this helpful?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
4K pass-through is meaningless for the next 5 years(at least) and 100 years at a price anybody would be willing to pay.
There is no 4K content. Nobody has any clue how to create any. OTA(which cable/Sat is based on) will be 720P/1080I for the next 100 years.
Blu Ray won't be capable of it. Internet speeds capable of providing it will need to be 10 times faster than they are now.
And put it this way...
"Creating" 4K from 1080P...???
480I to 1080P is 1/4 of the jump that 1080P to 4K is. So "scaling it" (which that is "already out there") is already a big ZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzz
Edit:
By the way. All "pass through" means is, it won't do anything to a 4K signal and pass it through. It is a meaningless "spec". There will be many HDMI 1.3 receivers capable of the same thing and even a few HDMI 1.2 capable of the same thing.
HDMI 1.4 and 3D is the "same basic thing". It is "required" that 1.4 be "fast enough" to not affect the signal from source to display. That is it. Most HDMI 1.3 receivers(that weren't low end units) when paired with a BD player and a display passed the 3D along just fine. The issue was/is, HDMI 1.3 isn't REQUIRED to be able to pass 3D.
When 3D (and when/if 4K comes along) arrived I told numerous clients to check their 1.3 before "just buying" a 1.4. Considering most of the people I consult on HT have $1200+ AVR and/or separates...roughly 50% of the AVR/Pre-Pro I've encountered could pass 3D just fine. I expect the same for 4K.
Why?
3D and 4K are video specs, why would an AVR care about a video spec?
What matters is if you bought something where the AVR manufacturer cared to put quality stuff in it.

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
I found this forum really help full. I am glad to see such a detailed note.
Thanks for everything.
Buying YHT-296 today.

Alok M Bhogle

Auditioning
Real Name
alok
hi ,
i am also evaluatin the same systems.... onkyo 3500 and yht 298
my requirement is 60 % movies and 40 % music...
please suggest

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
Onkyo 3500 doesn't even have an active woofer..
YHT 298 is better in every aspect I know.. I bought this last week and its wonderfull..

shreeneo

Auditioning
Real Name
sridhar
planning to buy yamaha 298/296 confused ,
i feel usb play is necessary , is it worth to buy 298 for 33000/-
need your review on 296
any features of networking ?

vvmanyam

Grip
Real Name
Balu
296 is pretty good.. and I got it for 26000/- in Hypercity.
298 USB doesn't play videos.. It supports only few audio formats (not 100% sure). Its not worth buying even 298 if you are really want an USB which plays everything.
But I would say buy a WD media player & YHT 296 ... which you will almost cost 33,000 or little less and can play all videos and audio..
Networking.. I don't have much idea in 296.. but Media Player has that option..

venkisid

Auditioning
Real Name
venkat
plz help me
onkyo 3500(Rs.26500/-) and yamaha 298(Rs. 32000/-) which one is better.......

goldy_bansal

Auditioning
Real Name
Sukesh Bansal
I am planing to buy yamaha 298 but i am afraid from my living room size and doors entries. i have large 350 square feet room with 6 entries of doors.should i purchase this htib or look anything else? plz plz plz plz reply, nobody is answering my question on any forum. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks