What's new

Hardware Review Accell Powersquid Surge Protector and Power Conditioner: HTF REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

[SIZE= 22px]ACCELL Powersquid Surge Protector and Power Conditioner[/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)][SIZE= 18px]Reviewed by Ronald Epstein[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 100, 0)][SIZE= 16px]August 2011[/COLOR][/SIZE]

When most people are building their home theater room or setting up an expensive computer and display on their desktop, the last thing they think about is how they are going to properly protect that equipment from potential surges that occur when power is restored after failure. In fact, many spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on their home theaters and computer equipments only to entrust it to a power strip that doesn't cost more than $15 and comes with some ambiguous warranty concerning damage protection.

(Click on photo for larger picture)

Of course, one of the biggest problems with power strips is its inability to handle those large transformer plugs better knows as "wall warts." Those huge, bulky plugs can turn a 6-outlet power strip into one that can only handle 3 or 4.

I was extremely excited about having the opportunity to review the Accell PowerSquid Surge Protector and Power Conditioner. At first, I expressed concern to the company that I didn't know if I could effectively talk about what might seem like a simple power management product. But then it hit me....this is something much better than a power strip. This is a product that allows me to effectively manage those bulky transformer plugs while providing ample power and line noise protection to my sensitive electronics.

(Click on above photos for larger picture)

With its squid-like shape and plug extensions you can easily see how this product got its name. The Powersquid has an electrical rating of 120v, 15 Amps and 1800 Watts. More importantly, the device offers 1080 joules surge protection that is backed up with a 5-year connected equipment limited warranty of up to $100,000 in case of damage to your components.

Additionally, the Powersquid features a noise reduction filter that reduces line static caused by "dirty" power within your home. Once the Powersquid isolates that noise, your equipment benefits from better picture and audio.

(Click on photo for larger picture)

However, for most individuals, the real benefit of owning the Accell PowerSquid is the fact that you can effectively manage those large transformer plugs. As a matter of fact, I was able to to get rid of two extension cords that were accommodating a total of 2-3 transformer plugs each in favor of just one Powersquid device. Once everything was properly plugged into the extensions and wall, two indicator lights on the Powersquid assured me that my equipment was properly grounded and that I was being protected against any potential surges, which is a good thing, as I am writing this review under the threat of a thunderstorm.

The Accell Powersquid retails for $34.95, and can be found on Amazon for under $30 with shipping. While cheaper power strip alternatives do exist, you just don't get the transformer flexibility or the five-year connected equipment, $100,000 limited warranty that the Powersquid offers.

(Click on above photos for larger picture)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks Ron. This is the perfect solution to the dilemma of a standard power strip and wall warts. Price is reasonable too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.