What's new

Alastair Sim A CHRISTMAS CAROL November 3, 2009 - (UPDATE New 11-1-2011 Release) (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
BONUS FEATURES:
  • Audio Commentary by George Cole
  • Includes the Standard DVD with Both the 4:3 and the 16:9 versions
  • Bios
ccblu2.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Andrew: Isn't this likely the same disc we got a year or so ago (with the 4:3 and the butchered 16:9 versions)?

It looks like the same basic idea.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh my.

I just noticed that you posted this in the high-def section. I completely missed that when I first checked things out because of where I found the thread listing!

Now THAT'S exciting!

Is there an MSRP?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
This post is confusing as I thought it was posted in the HD software section by mistake because NO ONE mentioned it was on Blu-ray and the picture didn't show it.

Paul

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lossless audio, I wonder? It would be really interesting to hear if it makes any difference with this title.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, Andrew...we are just days away!

Has anyone heard/seen anything about this release?

I am very much looking forward to it.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No review on this one yet?
Don't want to pull the trigger on buying this until I know a little more on how it looks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll be surprised if it doesn't look good since the last DVD release was pretty good.

But, I agree. It sure would be nice to know for sure...or at least as sure as you can trust in a review...

I am especially curious to hear about the audio track...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Has anyone heard/seen anything about this release?

I am very much looking forward to it.
There's a rather poor review of a supposedly different ("emerald") Canadian blu-ray version at blu-ray.com http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=104728&page=3

But nobody knows if the upcoming VCI version will be from the same restoration.

In any case, I've already sold my DVD so I'm in for the BD, for better or worse.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks a bunch, Marvin. Like you say: It ain't much of a review...but at least it's something.

At least the reviewer, who doesn't seem to bring a lot to the table, says it looks better than any of the DVD iterations he's ever seen. Like I said, I thought the last VCI effort (DVD) was pretty good.

Keeping fingers crossed.

The last dvd was okay...but the 4x3 version was literally choppy, cutting out the ends of shots. There was an entire shot of Fred's wife missing at the end, as well as a scream on the soundtrack when Marley shows up.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Thanks a bunch, Marvin. Like you say: It ain't much of a review...but at least it's something.
Actually by "poor review" I meant the reviewer's opinion of the DVD, not my opinion of the review. Sorry for the confusion.

But it seems nobody knows if the version he reviewed will end up being the same transfer as the upcoming one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh my...DVD Beaver makes this look like an even more dramatic improvement than the BD of It's a Wonderful Life!

This one will be scarfed up the minute I see it.

Thanks, Marvin!

While it looks promising, I have been burned by VCI before. I want to know if the missing audio and shot of Fred's wife have been put back into the film. They went missing on the last "restored from the original 35mm elements" release.

I doubt it. The previous dvd was the best the film has looked despite the problems. However, there were other shots in which the ends of shots were cut off in weird glitches (but oddly they were present on the 16x9 cropped version on the same disc.) It will suffice, especially since so much is coming out that I have to have. BTW, those screenshots compare an older dvd...not the version I am speaking of. I don't know why they aren't comparing the most recent restoration to the new Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks