What's new

Keeping my eyes out for a used/refurb Mac Pro (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I intend to get a new Mac Pro whenever they finally do add BluRay support and not before. But I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a bargain priced used one to tide me over. If anyone finds one at a great price from a reputable source, let me know. I've had good luck with Craigslist and local pickup but there hasnt been anything in weeks now that I've got the need for one =p

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well, I got the following coming to me:

Before I tell ya what I'm paying, what do you think a fair price is for that in nearly new condition?

ErichH

Screenwriter
Box - 1700
Ram - ? if it was installed by Apple ouch
2 drives - 150
GT card +100
The other stuff NC

Monitor - 400

OK, 2700 on a good day - 3200 is about right

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I believe it is Apple RAM. If it is that just makes the deal more incredible. If not, no big wow. The one thing that makes me think its not Apple installed is that Apple doesnt have a 10GB option, 8 GB is $1500 and 16GB is a re-damn-diculous $4300.

I agree that the other stuff is mostly no charge but the 3 years of Apple care is transferable and I think it's valuable when it comes bundled in but i wouldnt have paid for it myself.

All told, shipped and insured coming my way for $2400. =)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Decent price Sam.
I managed a quad 3.0 first gen for 1700 over a year ago.
It had the insane 1600.00 video card, so I ebayed the card for 1400 and replaced with a 400 card, then a second optical at 25, more memory, etc. Sold an existing G5 dual for 1700 & made profit for upgrading.
That deal will never happen again.

If you've never owned a Pro, you'll love the interior latout. Best hardware in the business.
About the only thing I didn't like in my pro was the OEM optical. Apple uses the cheapest, noisy drives. Easy enough to replace with Pioneer DVRs. Get a Pair, they're cheap.
Have Fun!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'll be putting a BluRay drive in it as soon as apple puts the hooks in the OS to support playback. I might even buy sooner if the price of burner media comes down.

Confirmed that the RAM is from OWC, not apple, but still good stuff.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Very nice.. I have the same machine but with 8 gigs of ram. One of the best machines I have ever owned!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks