What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Batman Begins (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

ronsreviews_covers_1881044.jpg">

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I do not have the HD DVD to compare. I had heard that WB was re-encoding for Blu-ray...?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mine should be on my doorstep in exactly one week. Then I spend all night with Batman. Thanks, Michael, for easily justifying the Limited Edition box!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
There goes yet another one of my HD DVDs! :frowning: Oh well, I have NO problem double dipping on this title...I was only able to view the HD DVD on a 3.0 system so I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing it on a full-blown 7.2 system. :D

bases1616

Agent
Real Name
Alex
Michael, I am sure I read somewhere that Warner was going to use the same encode as the HD DVD. Also, I know on the PS3 you can hit the display button so it will tell you if the video is VC-1 or AVC. I saw on the specs the video codec has a ?. Nice review and this was the same point I was trying to make to Cameron Yee that as good as Batman looks and sounds it is not a 5/5 for PQ and AQ. He gave Natural Born Killers a perfect 5 on PQ and AQ. I have Batman Begins on HD DVD and look forward to comparing the two.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The situation of some of the extras still being "presented windowboxed", coupled with the inevitability that there will be another edition once both Bat-films are out (a two-pack of some kind), keeps me away.

I'm taking the description to mean that when watching on a current 16:9 television, the 16:9 screen suddenly switches to 4:3 with black bars on the left and right, and within that 4:3 is the widescreen (but now tiny) extra, forcing a person to play with their television controls to zoom into it to get it proper.

In the near future, widescreen tvs will be so commonplace that no one authoring movies will even consider mixing techniques like this. Then it will be safe to go all-in. Until then, films like this that are part of franchises (and get many re-releases) are something one can avoid when situations like this come up.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Can you verify the runtime of the "Batman Begins Stunts" clip? According to the Easter Egg files at DVDTalk for the SD release, they say this clip runs 2:29, not 1:46, as your review shows. I'm curious if something's been edited out of this minor featurette...

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
When I get a chance sometime early tomorrow morning, I will check:

Alex - the video encode using my PS3
Travis - the stunts clip runtime verification...I'm going to believe you. The reason I say that is when I was going through the feature last night, I hit the "skip" button on my player with the display time up just to get to the end time...well, I don't think my player displayed it properly and I think I wrote the time down when I hit "skip"

Will, you are correct - windowboxed meaning bars on the sides and top and bottom. Just like looking out a window!

Paul - the video is very acceptable. Without some inside information I can't say for sure what has been done to the video. The video doesn't look objectionally smoothed over to me. Can I see grain? Nope. Although it doesn't appeared to be smeared to reduce it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't know that much grain would be visible in Batman Begins in any event. Chris Nolan insisted on shooting the film anamorphic and depending on what film stocks were used, grain may not be readily apparent. IMDb shows no indication of a DI, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Take that information for what it is.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone explain the difference between the BB regular Blu-ray and BB deluxe Blu-ray? Is it worth the extra 15 bucks?

Thanks in advance.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Michael,

Thanks so much for verifying!

Here are the Gift Set exclusives:

Movie cash ($7.50 value) to see THE DARK KNIGHT in theaters

32 Page Booklet Featuring Script Pages, Storyboards, and Film Stills from THE DARK KNIGHT Prologue

16 Page DC Comic Book Adaptation of the DARK KNIGHT Prologue

BATMAN BEGINS Lenticular Art

5 Collectible Postcards

Bad-ass Box to House it all in to make your friends go "Whoa!"

Is it worth the extra $15? Objectively, I'd say no (so many extras devoted not just to the sequel, but to only about six minutes of the sequel?!...the movie cash offsets half of it, though)...but I'm a collectibles whore, so I'm buying it anyway!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

:laugh:

I know...our logic for this addictive hobby is ridiculous. I have the SD version of Batman Begins and I've never watched it.

But I'm dying to see Dark Knight, so I'm ready to re-watch Begins for the first time since I saw it theatrically.

So my stupid logic is "don't watch the SD now. Get the Blu-Ray next week" and never watch the SD version I got a few years ago. Do I need therapy?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I suspect the 32 page booklet is identical to the one that came with the 2-disc deluxe edition released in 2005.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I never watched my 2-disc SD-DVD either, but I'm being a very good boy about not double-dipping.

So far. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks