What's new

"Breaking Bad" on AMC starts on 1/20/08 (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This show looks kind of strange. I can't tell from the mini "Making of" documentary on AMC whether it will be a hit or a miss. In any event, since in a previous life I was a chemistry teacher for over 20 years (although I don't recall running around in my underwear!) I'm going to tune in to see what's up. Anyone else planning to watch it?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I was catching up with the Death Wish series and saw the promos. I put on the PC-DVR and will give it a look. I don't have a clue if it'll be enjoyable but I guess I will find out.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Any word regarding whether this show will be on AMC HD On Demand?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I saw an advertisement on TV(with no sound) at work last night.
Looks very odd.
I almost thought it was a Coen Brothers TV show when I first looked up at the TV.
I'll give it a chance.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Wow, I'm hooked. An exhilarating first episode. I keep checking Comcast On Demand but so far it hasn't gone up. Although the same happened with Mad Men. It didn't show up until 4-5 days later, although following episodes went up a day or two after each show date.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
And no one at Comcast is willing to talk about it. :angry: Oh well; I'm going to wait, and keep calling back. Eventually they'll put the episodes up.

Devin U

Second Unit
I really enjoyed this show except for one thing: the censoring of the language? If they were going to block it out, why did they film it that way. Was this origially going to be on HBO/Sho?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I got that impression, there was blurred nudity as well, and it was an hour long with no commercial interruptions.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
It's possible that we got the pilot episode that was presented for HBO but the rest could be watered down or redone for AMC. There may be clues when sets are compared, different actors possibly, length of hair, and other subtle clues that might indicate a long delay between the pilot and regular series production.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Interesting first episode and definitely worth a look to this former Chem teacher. On a personal note, I laughed at some of the "Chemistry Teacher" lines that were used. The dude was channelling me from the 60s and 70s!

I'm not up to running around the outskirts of Albuquerque in my underwear, though!

:laugh:

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Also keep in mind that shows are now produced with both international markets and the DVD market in mind.

I don't think anyone who wouldn't mind the language and nudity would actually "prefer" having the scene with the language cut instead of muted-out or the scene with nudity cut instead of blurred.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Well this is odd. AMC, like many cable channels, likes to rebroadcast their shows almost endlessly. In the various rebroadcasts of Breaking Bad they've shown at least 3 different cuts of the pilot. Some cuts show a topless woman with blurred out nudity, some have her wearing a black bra. Some cuts have excised language and 1 cut has the entire ambulance ride to the hospital cut. When they air seems to be a bit random as the most unedited cut aired in the earliest time slot.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
very interesting pilot.
my favorite scene was the end when he takes his wife from behind
and she asks "Walt, is that you?"

curious to know what kind of stories were going to get.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I think it was suppose to be on FX, who later decided to pass on it.

As for the pilot, I enjoyed it very much. Bryan Cranston really pulled it off, and by the end, I wasn't thinking of him as Hal from Malcolm in the Middle.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
As far as I can tell, Breaking Bad was an AMC original. There is no mention of FX in any of the information I've read about it.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I had mixed feelings about the second episode because there wasn't much progression, but with an ending like that I'll keep watching.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The show still grabs my interest and its quirky nature is one of its charms to me. Definitely not run of the mill TV fare and worth watching IMHO. I almost think I'm watching a Coen Bros. movie or one of the many other "off the beaten trail" presentations.

There are also lots of great side comments that make me LOL. "MILF? What's a MILF?!?" "...and at the tone, Bee-utch!!..." etc. etc.

:D

I also like little clever things like the incorporation of Chemical Symbols in the credits as a Font. And, as I mentioned before, as a former Chemistry teacher I can really relate to students not paying attention to details and making assumptions that are not valid and which can have some interesting side effects - like Hydrofluoric Acid not eating through plastic but completely destroying a bathtub, a floor and a body. Even Walter's Chem lessons incorporate some stuff that is beyond the textbook but definitely material that makes Chemistry et. al. more relevant and less of a rote exercise (which it never should be). This week it was the Thalidomide reference. The writers here obviously were paying attention in Chem Lab. I give them an A for this aspect.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks