TP Vision has unveiled its second Philips-branded OLED TV at a launch event in Madrid this week, following on from the critically-acclaimed 901F series launched late last year.

Like the 55POS901F, the Philips 9002 will come in one screen size, 55 inches (model number 55POS9002), and will feature native 3840×2160 UHD resolution, new P5 picture processing engine, support for both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats, three-sided Ambilight, and the latest M version of Android Smart TV system.

TP Vision / Philips says that the P5 picture processing engine boosts the inherent qualities of OLED – namely true blacks, vibrant colors and wide viewing angles – by providing 25% new processing features and 25% more processing power. They are claiming that this will result in an overall performance improvement of 50% in the key image quality areas of source correction, sharpness, color and contrast when compared with the award-winning Pixel Precise Ultra HD Engine.

In terms of HDR performance, the Philips POS9002 will deliver a peak brightness of 750 nits and a DCI-P3 coverage of 99%. Given these specifications, it will come as no surprise then that the OLED television will be UHD Premium-certified.

Design-wise, the Philips 55POS9002 won’t carry a bottom-mounted integrated soundbar, unlike the 55POS901F. Nevertheless, sound quality will be kept up by the inclusion of Philips’ patented and powerful triple-ring technology and DTS HD Premium Sounds compatibility.

The Philips 9002 OLED is scheduled to arrive in the summer following Freeview Play certification. Prices remain unannounced.

Published by

S

Scott Hart

member

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Premium
Joined
Oct 13, 2014
Messages
856
Reaction score
388
Points
610
Real Name
Jason
750 nits and 99%, sounds like a 2016 panel. Sure pricing will be great.
 

Scott Hart

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
Joined
Dec 6, 2016
Messages
121
Reaction score
33
Points
10
Age
36
Location
Holland, MI
Real Name
Scott Hart
750 nits and 99%, sounds like a 2016 panel. Sure pricing will be great.
Not quite as good as others coming out, but an improvement over previous Philips models. Only having personal experience with comparisons over 3 years ago, when did Philips ever compete at the same level as Panasonic or Samsung? In my opinion, they have always been a less expensive alternative with neat features.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Alf S

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jan 28, 2001
Messages
510
Reaction score
18
Points
610
Location
Denver, CO
Website
www.cinemaquestinc.com
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Sad to see such a large manufacturer still intent on misrepresenting good imaging practice by fronting their "Ambilight" gimmicky light show feature. Misinforming the public at this late stage in the evolution of consumer video is really pathetic. Surrounding a TV picture with any color other than neutral will always skew the viewer's color perception away from a faithful rendition of the original program. Ambient lighting in a video viewing environment should match as closely as possible the color of video white, which is CIE D65 (roughly 6500K).

In other words, the "Ambilight" multi-color feature might be fun for some, but antithetical to video performance and image fidelity if used while viewing a program. One could compare it to installing one of those "low-rider" hydraulic lift mechanisms in a Corvette.

Here's a technical article that explains more detail: "The Importance of Viewing Environment Conditions In a Reference Display System."

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
SMPTE, THX. ISF, Lion AV Consultants

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
 

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Premium
Joined
Oct 13, 2014
Messages
856
Reaction score
388
Points
610
Real Name
Jason
Not quite as good as others coming out, but an improvement over previous Philips models. Only having personal experience with comparisons over 3 years ago, when did Philips ever compete at the same level as Panasonic or Samsung? In my opinion, they have always been a less expensive alternative with neat features.

Im not saying anything is wrong, Im just saying spec wise I think they are using 2016 LG panels. Makes sense, those are great and should be cheaper.
 

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Joined
Aug 24, 1998
Messages
739
Reaction score
132
Points
610
Location
Wilmington,De
Real Name
Everett
My first flat panel was a phillips 42in. had great sounding speakers on side of screen. It was a second year model. They claimed a fix for burnin, it was pixel shifting. It seemed to work, it had a great picture! It should for 8000.00. I didn't fall 4 the outrages delivery and install fees. My cost was 4000.00 plus 500.00 for 4yr. in home warranty. New technology and all. It was stolen.