Audio: PCM 1.0 Russian
Subtitles: English

Region: A
MSRP: $ 39.95

Release Date: May 24, 2011

Review Date: May 17, 2011

The Film

3.5/5

After Stanley Kubrick both bewildered and delighted sci-fi fans with his epic 2001: A Space Odyssey, it seems as if Andrei Tarkovsky must have wanted some pieces of that mix of conundrum and enchantment to work just as harmoniously with his 1972 film Solaris. As frequently confounding on one’s first visit to 2001 was, Solaris seems clearer on repeat trips to its far out horizons. Kubrick’s mammoth film can’t be matched in terms of its sci-fi paraphernalia (especially for its time), but Tarkovsky’s epic may have the upper hand in emotional impact. It’s not as awesome a spectacle, of course, but despite its eternally slow pace, it manages to hold one’s interest through the slower, less interesting passages.

Strange events have been going on at a space station hovering above the planet Solaris for quite some time, so space psychologist Kris Kelvin (Donatas Banionis) is sent to investigate, his report being the determining factor in whether the station will remain open or be shut down. At the station resides its last two scientists Snaut (Yuri Yarvet) who is in charge of the facility and seems to have something of a grasp of its secrets and the prickly Sartorius (Anatoly Solonitsyn). As reported by astronaut Berton (Vladislav Dvorzhetsky), the oceans of Solaris seem to have an effect on the minds of those on the station conjuring up hyper-real hallucinations that are impossible to get rid of. In Kris’ case, his hallucination is of his wife Hari (Natalya Bondarchuk) who’s been dead for a decade. Initially he resists the temptation of believing she’s real, but eventually, he can’t deny his love for the creation, and she in turn seems to be changing into human form the more she experiences the outgoing affection from Kris.

Dealing with metaphysical issues of the nature of man and the elements, the real and the imaginary, the power of love versus the negative effects of longing, Tarkovsky’s screenplay (co-written with Fridrikh Gorenshtein and adapted from a book written by Stanislaw Lem) emphasizes the humanity of the situation and lessens any temptation to focus on the sci-fi aspects of the story (making comparisons to 2001 rather pointless in that regard). The growing feelings that Kris and faux-Hari experience are rather heartbreaking throughout, and Tarkovsky keeps the camera close (even in widescreen Sovscope) so we can see every flicker of an eyelash (or in the case of one extended shot, hairs growing out of an ear). True, he tends to dawdle over moments that just aren’t that interesting (several minutes spent scanning Breughel’s masterwork “Hunters in the Snow” in intricate detail; the climactic payoff wasn’t really worth the time), and he segues between black and white and color to no real purpose (except for a filmed report which makes sense in monochrome; the director was dealing with a shortage of color film stock but the transitions are sometimes jarring and nonsensical). It takes real patience to draw everything out of the rich palette the director is offering, and many may balk before the end due to the measured pacing and controlled emotions on display through much of the film, but the concluding scenes do have impact and are worth the wait.

Natalya Bondarchuk has some rich scenes as Hari which, even at age eighteen, she handled with aplomb. Donatas Banionis is really the heartbreaking spine of the movie, however, as the lonely and hopelessly in love Kris Kelvin. Emotions flicker across his face through the film’s more than two and a half hours, and watching him work will provide much enjoyment even for those who may find the languid pacing of the film a trial. Yuri Yarvet shows authority as the man in charge of the space station, and Anatoly Solonitsyn is his match as the hard-to-pin down Sartorius.

Video Quality

4/5

The film’s 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio is presented I 1080p using the AVC codec. All of the black and white footage is stunning to watch, crisp and detailed with superb contrast. The color footage in the first ninety minutes is less sharp and satisfying. Color values are certainly acceptable, but details that normally pop in high definition don’t during many of these initial sequences. The film’s last eighty minutes or so offer a great improvement in clarity and intricate details. Color saturation seems more solid, and flesh tones are more appealing. The image throughout is very clean, but black levels are not the transfer’s strong suit being rather lackluster. The subtitles, sometimes ivory and something a pale yellow, are easy to read. The film has been divided into 32 chapters.

Audio Quality

4/5

The PCM (1.1 Mbps) 1.0 audio track is one of the quietest you’ll ever experience, especially for a film of this age. Any age-related hissing, popping, crackling, or fluttering has been eliminated, and when things are quiet (as are lengthy passages of the movie), there is utter silence. Dialogue was post synched and is always discernible (if rather arid). Music doesn’t possess much fidelity until the climactic passages of the movie where it begins to soar.

Special Features

4.5/5

The audio commentary is provided by Tarkovsky scholars Vida Johnson and Graham Petrie who deliberately swap off comments back and forth throughout the epic running time of the film. They offer facts about the production and offer opinions about ultimate possible meanings of the scenes throughout. Fans of the movie will find this a must-listen.

All of the video featurettes are presented in 1080i.

There are nine deleted/extended scenes which may be viewed separately or in one 25-minute bunch.

Actress Natalya Bondarchuk offers opinions about the director and his work along with stories concerning how she got the part, her definition of art, good times and bad times in their work together, and other information about her long career before and behind the camera in this 32 ¼-minute interview.

The film’s cinematographer Vadim Yusov talks for 34 minutes on his experiences with the director, not only on this film but on others. He also mentions his initial meeting with Tarkovsky, the origins of the project, comparisons to 2001, how the ocean effects were achieved, and location filming.

Art director Mikhail Romadin offers an entertaining interview which discusses his first encounter with the legendary director as well as their shared dislike for science fiction. This runs 16 ¾ minutes.

Composer Eduard Artemyev talks about his education in composition, his frustrating meetings with the director about scoring the film, and techniques he used specifically in working on his movies. This runs 21 ¾ minutes.

A very brief excerpt from a TV biography of author Stanislaw Lem stresses the author’s dissatisfaction with the film of his book. It runs 5 minutes.

The enclosed 21-page booklet contains the chapter listing, cast and crew lists, some color stills from the movie, writer Phillip Lopate’s analysis of the film, and a celebratory essay on the director and his movie by director Akira Kurosawa.

The Criterion Blu-rays include a maneuvering tool called “Timeline” which can be pulled up from the menu or by pushing the red button on the remote. It shows you your progress on the disc, the title of the chapter you’re now in, and index markers for the commentary that goes along with the film, all of which can be switched on the fly. Additionally, two other buttons on the remote can place or remove bookmarks if you decide to stop viewing before reaching the end of the film or want to mark specific places for later reference.

In Conclusion

4/5 (not an average)

A difficult and challenging philosophical think piece on life’s mysteries and meanings, Solaris won’t be for all tastes, but this new Blu-ray release features excellent picture and sound and ports the contents of the previous DVD release onto a single Blu-ray disc. For the patiently curious, this comes with a firm recommendation.

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This is tempting to pick-up.

I tried once or twice to catch it many years ago on PBS, but reception was very snowy and it was late at night. Made it harder to watch.

I've seen the Clooney version out of curiosity, but I've not fully seen this, the original. The B&N Criterion sale is coming up!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson, I really like this movie (and the special features, all of which were on Criterion's DVD, were great), but this is a movie that I'd never recommend anyone do a blind buy on. If it's possible for you to rent it (even the DVD, which, while being SD instead of HD, is still quite good), it might be one of those titles best seen first before committing to a purchase. Matt's above review is fantastic... but when he talks about things like the films "measured pace", he's been very generous - this movie moves about as fast as paint drying on a wall

(but despite it's flaws I'm still a big fan)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I have a lot of patience for films and whatever pace they may choose to employ, which perhaps explains why I find this to be one of the most compelling motion pictures I have ever seen. But I think Josh is right about a qualified warning to any blind buys. For me, Tarkovsky's ANDRE RUBLEV is the one I never need to see again. Ponderous, pretentious and some ugly, totally unnecessary animal cruelty. Once was once too much for me on that one.

The audio commentary for SOLARIS is probably my all time favorite audio commentary on any DVD. Listening to it in one sitting was like being in your favorite classroom and never wanting that bell to ring.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure, I'm very aware of the slow pace nature of the film. I've seen portions of it when it aired on PBS, I may have seen the entire film during one of those PBS broadcasts. It's been a long time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Glen, I only remember enjoying the commentary but don't remember specifics about it - sounds like I may be past due to give it another spin...

I remember the first time I saw this movie was a subtitled, widescreen VHS from I forget who. One of the more interesting subtitle jobs I've ever seen, it seemed like they subtitled/translated scenes when they felt like it, and felt perfectly willing to not subtitle them if the mood didn't strike, or something. I still loved it, but to get the Criterion disc and actually understand what was going on in 100% of the dialogue scenes, that was pretty nice.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Josh, one of the most interesting subtitle jobs I've ever seen was on the very bizarre Turkish remake of THE EXORCIST called SEYTAN. As I wrote in my Amazon review of the DVD:

Not only do they have a limited grasp of English, but often come with bizarre footnotes marked by an asterisk underneath them and even some editorializing about the film itself! It almost appears as if the translator made notes about his translations and the folks burning them onto the film thought EVERYTHING on his notes were intended to be used. At one point in an exchange using Latin, there is a translation that says "Search GOOGLE."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wow!

Really, just... wow. I don't know what else to say about that. Sounds like an interesting evening of moviewatching.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This film has to be one of the best non-pharma based solutions to insomnia I have ever seen. I tried watching it twice and both times I was asleep before an hour had passed. Frankly, I found the Clooney remake of this story much more watchable. At least I was able to stay awake for the entire running length of the Clooney version. Josh Steinberg's comparison to paint drying is totally apt when it comes to this film.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently re-watched Solaris '72 on this excellent Criterion disk. I had only seen the film once before (around 12+ years ago). And, honestly this is still as indecipherable to me the second time around - as it was on my first viewing.

That being said, this is a very cerebral & also compelling film. I like the themes of mortality, humanity, etc. that are explored in the movie. I don't know what to make of the film, however - and many sequences are obviously confusing - and possibly intentionally?! so.

I definitely plan on watching it again at some point, since I did find it interesting.

Last edited:

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
There must be people who understand it because I went to a Film Club screening at which there was much muttering among the audience. It turned out three spools of the film, about twenty minutes each, had been shown in the wrong order. We were given tickets to come back the next night when it would be run properly.

To me it still made no sense whatever, but the rest of the crowd seemed satisfied!

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
My mistakes and cast offs go to my partner's church fundraising sales and I always felt guilty about this one as her church is a very nice one - undeserving of members of its congregation being reduced to mind-numbing bafflement.

I can't remember how much of the Blu-ray I saw before being overcome by despair but the disc was certainly in as-new condition.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Recently re-watched Solaris '72 on this excellent Criterion disk. I had only seen the film once before (around 12+ years ago). And, honestly this is still as indecipherable to me the second time around - as it was on my first viewing.

That being said, this is a very cerebral & also compelling film. I like the themes of mortality, humanity, etc. that are explored in the movie. I don't know what to make of the film, however - and many sequences are obviously confusing - and possibly intentionally?! so.

I definitely plan on watching it again at some point, since I did find it interesting.
It helps if you read the book, which I highly recommend. Actually, Tarkovsky turns the thesis of Lem's novel on its head, and the film is missing the closure of the novel, which brought me to tears the first time I read it. The movie brings me to tears too, but in a very different way.

The book is about the reverberations and ramifications of a failed marriage, and how those feelings repressed yet residing in the main character's mind, is brought out in the present moment by seemingly inanimate though organic objects, which have their own sense of being; hence those long takes of trees and mist and seaweed in Tarkovsky's film. He is attempting to go beyond vision into another realm, a place that is tactile and transcendent, where nature isn't something seen or felt but resides within us, timeless and rapt, betond memory or consciousness.

In this particular story, the main character is a cosmonaut, who lands on the planet Solaris, which is a sentient brain--but in the way Tarkovsky uses images of nature, he is saying that Solaris, the planet, isn't only a sentinet consciousness but every leaf, blade of grass and stream.

Solaris is able to read the memories of people, and manifest those thoughts, in particular the main character's dead wife, as a living being, taking on physical form. At first, the main character thinks his dead wife has beeen ressurected, and they can reignite their love, but she's really only a hologram, repeating the thoughts in his head. She is not automomous, but the planet's method of communication; something which creates a great deal of trauma and confusion for the main character. The two of them, husband and wife, are in a loop, for that's what memory is.

Tarkovsky mostly throws out the narrative, as well as characterization, illustrating the underlying themes of the novel with some of the most amazingly beautiful images, evocative of time, memory and spirituality, that I have ever seen, but it's probably good if you know what the film is supposed to be about. It's not a perfect film; I would recommend STALKER for starters, which is more understanble and concise, dealing with many of the same ideas in similar ways, but in spite of its many flaws, or possibly because of them, I have a deep affection for SOLARIS.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love how you expressed that.

I am a big fan of the novel and both film adaptations, which all take a look at the same ideas from different vantage points, exploring how we can become prisoners to our own memories, feelings and experiences, how trying to repeat and repair the past is not only impossible but poisonous. There will probably never be a time when that’s not relevant and relatable.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have both film versions, which I haven't watched in years. I've also had the novel for a long time, but never read it.

I guess I should do something about that.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I love how you expressed that.

I am a big fan of the novel and both film adaptations, which all take a look at the same ideas from different vantage points, exploring how we can become prisoners to our own memories, feelings and experiences, how trying to repeat and repair the past is not only impossible but poisonous. There will probably never be a time when that’s not relevant and relatable.
While I love Lem's novel, I find Tarkovsky's film much more positive, in the way it deals with memory and time. The framing plot, in which the cosmonaut returns to earth, turning the narrative of the novel into another memory, shows a way out of the loop of reminiscence; allied with the fragments of his childhood present at his parents' dacha; in particular those images of nature, in which foliage and water seem to have subsumed the house in the same way the planet Solaris enveloped the cosmonauts' base of operations, both internally and externally. For me, this suggests a way to transcend the past, into that world of the spirit which abounds about us, non-linear yet ever-present. And while Tarkovsky hasn't quite worked this out structurally--though some of that may be attributable to interference by bureaucrats at Mosfilm who were hoping for a blockbuster along the lines of 2001--those images of nature are so breathtaking in their sense of real time and space giving way to an otherworldly presence, I can't help but hold this film in very high esteem.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s incredibly hypnotic, the way Tarkovsky holds shots longer than most filmmakers would dare. I saw it for the first time as a teenager - a special order of a double-VHS that was inconsistently subtitled - and the movie has haunted me ever since.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It’s incredibly hypnotic, the way Tarkovsky holds shots longer than most filmmakers would dare. I saw it for the first time as a teenager - a special order of a double-VHS that was inconsistently subtitled - and the movie has haunted me ever since.
I first saw it as part of the NYFF in a special screening at the Ziegfeld in a 70mm blow up, probably in 1972. I was in my early twenties. It was mesmerizing. It reminded me of Michael Snow's THE CENTRAL REGION, which I had just seen at Anthology.

I think I had already read the book. I was deeply into Lem when I was young. These days my favorites are not his sci-fi, but those introductions and reviews of imaginary books. I think it's called A Perfect Vacuum, but I can't really remember.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks