What's new

3D Blu-ray Review THE HTF 3D ADDICT: Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

What can I say?  I love 3D!  From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content.  I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite.  That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT.  I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky.  However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation.  These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves.  I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum.  My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released.   As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.

Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs

Studio: Sony Pictures

Product Release: June 22, 2010

Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: English, French, Portugese 5.1 DTS-HD MA, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Running Time: 90 Minutes

Rating: PG

ON A SCALE 0-5

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 5

3D Separation: 4

3D In Yo' Face Factor: 0

After sampling various nature documentaries (which I will be posting individual overviews

of shortly) I was ready to watch my first Feature Film in 3D.  What could be a better choice

than Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs released by Sony Pictures but has that seeming 

quality of a Pixar film. 

The high production value, ample attention to detail, sound storyline and clever humor is

what makes this film a pleasure to sit through.  Throw in the 3D aspect and you have just

upped the entertainment value considerably.

Though there is not one bit of that "In Yo' Face" 3D (nothing emerges from the screen) but

what I was pleased to discover was a realistically textured presentation with nice separation

between the characters and the background.  There are some fairly impressive 3D moments

in the film such as when Sam Sparks (Anna Faris) is rescuing Flint (Bill Hader) by throwing a

rope down a deep chasm.  To the 3D viewer, the rope has this visual sensation of being suspended

in air.   There are smaller moments where characters placed inside the rescue ship look so lifelike

that you feel as if you could reach inside and touch them.

You are not going to win anyone over on 3D with a bad transfer.  Everything in the 3D world

needs to look meticulous.  This is the big reason why Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs works

so well for this format.  The transfer itself is flawless and rich in colors.  With the 3D eyewear

in place there was a bit of brightness lost, but it seemed to intensify the level of color saturation.

There is a scene where Flint's weather making invention buries the town in snow cones and

ice cream, all brought to life in brilliant colors that bring the viewer into a wonderland of their own.

I saw no ghosting problems within the transfer.

The visually intoxicating experience is well matched with an active DTS-HD track that seems

well detailed and mixed, as well as skillfully placing effect noise in proper channels.  

Included are 3D trailers for Open Season and Monster House.

CONCLUSION

When I laid eyes on one of the first animated 3D feature releases to Blu-ray, Monsters

vs. Aliens, I was not especially pleased.  That was a transfer plagued with ghosting 

problems.  I was a little apprehensive I would find the same here.  However, I am very

happy to report that Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs is flawless, highly enjoyable 3D

content.  Sony seems to be doing some great stuff here and I look forward to giving you

my impressions of Monster House and Open Season in 3D shortly.

Equipment

LG 60PX950 THX Certified 3D display

LG BX580 3D Blu-ray Player

Denon 3808CI Receiver

Atlantic Technology H-PAS AT-1 fronts, 4400 center; 4200 rear speakers

SV Sound Subwoofer

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great addition to the site, Ron! As someone who hopes to be 3D-ready by the end of the year, I will follow these reviews with great interest.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matt,

Thank you.

I don't wish to become a HTF reviewer. Been there, done

that, and it's an exhaustive job (as you know more than
anyone else).

I admire the professional work that our reviewers do here

and I certainly can't match it.

I do want to continue doing these short overviews of new

3D releases now that the studios are sending them to me.

Once all of you are set up with 3D in your homes I will
hand the job over to all of you.

Now to watch Imax: Under The Sea. I'll post an overview

tomorrow morning.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ron:

I'm as intrigued as anyone by your adventure into the new technology.

Certainly not because I expect to be into 3-D anytime soon. Quite to the contrary, in fact. But, because I look forward to reading the impressions of an "regular" consumer on the cutting edge of a new technology.

I will be most interested in things such as if you feel the technology really makes a significant enough of an impact to warrant the expense of the upgrade (I'm well aware of your enthusiasm about the images you are already seeing and I'm looking forward to hearing more about that)...if the software product does keep up with the demand now that you've made the investment in the hardware...if the hardware "works" to your satisfaction, etc. Heck, I'll even want to hear more about your impressions about having to watch your videos wearing those damn glasses. To me, that seems like it would be a pain--especially to someone who is already wearing prescription eyeglasses.

Personally, I'm still pretty doubtful that the 3-D technology is "here to stay" and will be making the inroads into homes that is projected. Color me quite curious.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
When I laid eyes on one of the first animated 3D feature releases to Blu-ray, Monsters

vs. Aliens, I was not especially pleased. That was a transfer plagued with ghosting
problems. I was a little apprehensive I would find the same here. However, I am very

happy to report that Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs is flawless, highly enjoyable 3D

content. Sony seems to be doing some great stuff here and I look forward to giving you

my impressions of Monster House and Open Season in 3D shortly.
I would be interested to see your thoughts of MvA now that you have a 3D Plasma...specifically the scene where she takes on the robot attacking the bridge. Look at the cables and see if there is any ghosting.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I own this on 3D bluray along with my 3D TV.

Cloudy is a nice 3D presentation.

Even though this doesn't have in your face moments.

Some stuff does really stand out like it wants to be in your face.

Like the scene of them scaling down the licorice ropes.

This does have some terrific depth.

I'm going to watch Christmas Carol and Coraline in 3D Bluray tonight.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jon,

The ropes is what I referenced in my review above.

Gonna have review of A Christmas Carol up tomorrow.

Also coming this week is Polar Express and Imax Space Station 3D

which I hear may have problems in the transfer.

By the way, stay away from IMAX: Wild Ocean 3D (IMAGE).
It is pretty bad in both content and quality of 3D. I had

to stop watching it so I am going to save that review for last.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Thank-you for the heads up with Wild Ocean.

I just bought Under the Sea from your positive thoughts.

I'm really excited to see Christmas Carol in 3D Bluray

I'm really curious about Space Station.

Thanks!!

Phoebus

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Walker
The 3D converter for my projector arrived this week! I'm using a PS3 for my 3D blu-rays.

I've just finished watching Cloudy feature for the first time, using the full set up. Very enjoyable, with a solid idea of its 3D identity - by this I mean the staging of sequences in 3D is always well thought through, but rarely "comin' at ya". Only when I was watching the 3D end-credits did I begin to realise how "cool" my hardware is, not exactly a full featured TV, but enough to keep me content for a few years, I hope.

The curious thing about having 3D home entertainment is that you want to see EVERYTHING available in the format now... even if it is total crap!! This is completely the opposite reaction to my attitude to cinema where I'm content to let rather a lot of new 3D pass me by, with the exception of Disney/Pixar.

Whether via TV or projector, I really have to say that this new tech seems to be very very good.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tom,

Welcome to the world of 3D!

So very nice to hear such positive comments

about your experience.

This was a great, fun film to watch and I am

very glad to hear that others are enjoying it as

much as I did.

Keep us posted on whatever else you may be

watching in this format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks