What's new

*** Official PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There was a pretty big crowd for an early Friday matinee but it seems like everyone walked out disappointed. I'm not sure if Paramount plans to turn this series into something we get a new entry in every few years but hopefully future entries will be better.

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

Tod Williams

The original film pretty much came out of nowhere and struck a core with people who made it one of the surprise hits of the year. There's probably a pretty good shot that this sequel will make a lot of money but I can't help but think back to when I was walking out of the original movie thinking what a masterpiece I had just seen and before I hit the exit door I just knew they were going to try and cash in with a sequel. So, here we are and in the current film a happy couple bring home a new baby to their home that they share with another daughter. Soon they experience a break-in so they set up cameras to try and capture who did it if they try again. Sure enough something is going on but it's not human. I'm one who loved the original film as I thought it was masterful in building up great suspense and it worked because each new scene contained even more suspense than the previous one. This movie here is clearly just trying to match the power of the first movie and in the end it falls flat on its face for the most part. There are way too many "BOOM" moments where they try to scare us by having something fall or throwing a loud noise at us. I think the majority of people watching this film are going to be use to this type of movie so these cheap tricks aren't going to work. Each time one of these scenes happen you just sit there rolling your eyes. Another problem is that I never really felt we were watching actual footage of anything. Films like the first movie and THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT make you feel like you're watching real footage but that really didn't happen here. Perhaps it's because there were so many cameras being used including scenes where multiple shots were used. Finally, the biggest and saddest problem is that the movie simply isn't very scary. I will admit that there's one terrific scene dealing with the mom trying to reach her child but this is pretty much the only sequence that matches anything in the original. We're given two endings to this film but neither one works and the final stuff just comes off incredibly lame, un-scary and boring. I'm not sure if we'll eventually see some alternate endings but the film certainly needed one. I think the actors, for the most part, did a good job in their roles and especially Sprague Grayden who plays the mother. The characters from the first film are worked into the story here but the twist just didn't work for me. PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2 is like so many films that follow up great movies in that there's no real imagination and instead we're basically given a rehash of the previous film. There are a few good moments scattered throughout but in the end this comes as a major disappointment.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You nailed it, Michael.

The first one built up suspense by making me wonder if something was going to come out of the darkness. This one just has boatloads of cheap LOUD NOISE scares (I can walk up behind you and scream in your ear and you'll jump but that's not being scary, it's just startling someone) and, except for the level of suspense, this one is so much like the original that it makes the Friday The 13th sequels look different and inspired.

And for those that have seen it, was there a section of the movie, beginning with the dog attack, where everything that moves 'jitters' onscreen? It started at that one specific point where things started to get really crazy so I figured it was supposed to be like the ghosts were effecting the cameras too but it kept going and going. I could hear people whispering "Is it supposed to be like this?" and I wasn't entirely sure myself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Paranormal Activity 2". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After reading some reviews, I expected better than what I viewed this afternoon. I don't think it's better than the original film nor is it as scary.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given the added camera angles that this sequel to "Paranormal Activity" supposedly has set up through its early plotline, it does get a little annoying to be shown events from certain camera angles when there was "supposedly" a better camera angle to see "what happened". Anyhow, it's about 30 minutes of good footage fluffed up with an extra hours of normalcy with little pay-off.

For the most parts, a lot of the "scary" parts played off more funny than scary this time around.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks