What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Troll 2: The 20th Anniversary Nilbog Edition (Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Troll 2: The 20th Anniversary Nilbog Edition (Blu-ray Combo Pack)
Directed by Drago Floyd

Studio: MGM
Year: 1991
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 95 minutes
Rating: PG-13
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1; Dolby Digital 2.0 mono English
Subtitles: SDH, Spanish, French

Region:  A
MSRP:  $ 19.99

Release Date: October 5, 2010

Review Date:  October 13, 2010 

The Film

1/5

Let me see if I’ve got this straight. Neither Citizen Kane, Singin’ in the Rain, nor Lawrence of Arabia has yet to make it to Blu-ray. MGM holds the rights to thousands of films including such masterworks as Witness for the Prosecution, West Side Story, and The Miracle Worker, and what do we get for their latest high definition release: Troll 2! Isn’t it great when studios have their priorities in order? Troll 2, of course, is a fairly legendary film, one that consistently scores among the highest on every all-time worst films list. And yes, I’m aware that some viewers find garbage like this hip and fun in its utter badness. But frankly, life is too short to laugh at such ineptitude. The camp factor inherent in such terrible movies as Valley of the Dolls or Myra Breckinridge isn’t present here; Troll 2 is just bad. Glaringly bad. Excruciatingly bad. Infuriatingly bad. Even if this is the Halloween season, there is really no excuse for releasing this absurdly and incompetently plotted, amateurishly acted, and raggedly produced horror film. There are plenty of goodies in the MGM vaults that would be fine for this time of year: the 1959 The Hound of the Baskervilles anyone?

Young Joshua Waits (Michael Stephenson) is still grieving over the death of his beloved Grandpa Seth (Robert Ormsby) who used to read him stories about goblins in the woods who try to capture humans and turn them into vegetation before eating them. His father Michael (George Hardy) decides the family needs a getaway where they will leave the conveniences of the city behind and rough it in the wilderness for a week. Though sister Holly (Connie McFarland) doesn’t want to leave boy friend Elliott (Jason Wright) behind, she’s dragged along with the family despite her protests. Their objective is the small hamlet of Nilbog where a local family is going to trade lives with them for a week. Once there, however, things seem way off. Residents continually attempt to make the family partake of food and drink imbued with an icky green substance which will, as was the case in the grandfather’s stories, turn them all into vegetation. Yes, the town is under the control of the very goblins Grandpa Seth had warned Joshua about.

It’s hard to know where to begin describing the awfulness that is Troll 2. One sees quickly where the production budget for the film was spent: on tons and tons of green food coloring to make the creams, gelatins, and liquids which serve as the food, drink, and blood of these alien creatures. The screenplay is credited to Clyde Anderson and Sarah Asproon, but the story is all over the place inventing rules for its horror and magical mischief as the film proceeds. Continuity is a joke with high priestess Creedence Leonore Gielgud (Deborah Reed)’s look changing in each scene (she also seduces her prey with popcorn). The goblin costumes and make-up look as if a kindergarten class had a hand in their construction (and performance) while Drago Floyd (real name Claudio Fragasso)’s direction drags a ten minute story past the point of endurance for ninety-five unbearable minutes. There isn’t a frightening moment to be found anywhere, and production values down the line are shabby. Well, to be fair, there is one make-up effect when Holly’s friend Arnold (Darren Ewing) gets himself planted in a pot as he’s turning into a tree where the film’s special effects make-up artist has convincingly made it appear that a tree limb is growing out of his arm. That’s about it for the positives about this production.

There are two performances that wouldn’t find their way to the reject pile at a local community theater audition night: Michael Stephenson’s Joshua and Robert Ormsby’s Grandpa both have a naturalness and ease with their line readings that showcase some professional attributes. (Stephenson went on, of course, to make the documentary Best Worst Movie about this very film.) But the archly amateur work of many of the actors, especially Margo Prey’s mother, Deborah Reed’s Creedence, and Jason Wright’s Elliott, goes beyond terrible. It’s downright insufferable.

Video Quality

4/5

The film has been framed at 1.85:1 and is presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. It may be a lousy film, but it’s a good transfer featuring excellent color saturation and accurate and appealing flesh tones (before all the green goo starts oozing down faces). Contrast is nicely handled giving the image a clarity and naturalness that it doesn’t deserve. The film has been divided into 16 chapters.

Audio Quality

3/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound mix is basically the mono track (also provided in a lossy 2.0 Dolby Digital encode) with the music spread across the front and echoing a bit into the rear surrounds to add some depth to the sound design. There is no hiss, crackle, or pop on the track, but this is clearly a makeshift surround experience. Purists may want to stay with the mono track.

Special Features

1/5

The film’s theatrical trailer runs 2 ¼ minutes and is presented in 1080p.

The second disc in the case is the DVD version of the movie.

In Conclusion

1.5/5 (not an average)

Yes, Troll 2 is as terrible as its reputation suggests, and unlike such horrendous cult movies as Reefer Madness or Plan 9 from Outer Space, it isn’t even much fun. It’s horrible all right, but not in the way we want a horror movie to be. This is one to avoid.

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Matt-

I have to agree with your thoughts about this coming to BD before other titles. It might be nearing Halloween and this might be the best worst movie ever, but come on, couldn't we get something else? Sorry you had to go through this one, thanks for taking one for the team .

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'd say this here might (sadly?) sell more copies than some of those classics you've listed. I just watched BEST WORST MOVIE On Demand and I'll never understand the cult following of this film but there's a pretty big group out there.

I don't have very fond memories of this film but plan on checking it out in the next few weeks since I did just see the documentary.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

I'd say this here might (sadly?) sell more copies than some of those classics you've listed. I just watched BEST WORST MOVIE On Demand and I'll never understand the cult following of this film but there's a pretty big group out there.

I don't have very fond memories of this film but plan on checking it out in the next few weeks since I did just see the documentary.

I'd love to see the documentary. I knew about it, but I've never seen it, and I think it'd make an interesting complement to having seen the actual film.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There's no real logic to Fox's decision to re-release this film simply because it has a big following - who's to say all those people will double-dip for a Blu-ray version of something they already own considering there are no extras. Maybe if they threw a copy of the original film in there.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Or if MGM/Fox were to secure the video rights to Best Worst Movie and include it in the package. That would make a lot more sense.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So it would be more logical for Fox to re-release a film that doesn't have a big following?

Originally Posted by Luisito34

There's no real logic to Fox's decision to re-release this film simply because it has a big following

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Part of the trash appeal of a film like Troll 2 is how bad it looks. It's not going to look any worse in Blu-Ray, so MGM/Fox's decision to release this on BD would make more sense if it had some context to surround it (cast commentary, home movies from screenings, the documentary that has brought even more attention to the film than it previously had). If you're going to double dip on a cult film, it had better be extremely well known if you're going to bare-bones it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.