What's new

HTF Attends Iron Man 2 Roundtable with Janek Sirrs (VFX Supervisor) and Victoria Alonso (Co-Producer (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/]     Question:What are your thoughts on the use of 3-D technology in almost every movie these days? Is this something that is here to stay or is it a passing fad?   Victoria Alonso:I think 3D is a great choice of format to have for fans; fans watch these movies multiple times if they like them, and it's great for them to experience something different if you see it a second time on Imax or in 3D. Time will tell if the format is here to stay. The audiences will determine that for the filmmakers.   Janek Sirrs:I think the jury is still out on that one. Right now, I feel that it makes perfect sense for a full-on 3D movie, such asToy Story. In a CGI world, you can actually design and compose the stereo nature of the shots to make the best of them. But a live action world is much more restrictive in terms of being able to effectively design while you're filming. Maybe as people get more familiar and faster with the process, that will change.     Question:Victoria, if you designed your own personal Iron suit, what feature would you like to have most?   Victoria Alonso:The RT powering would have to be silent---I'd want to make sure that take offs and landings are quiet so I don't wake up my daughter!     Question:In both your eyes, what are some of the greatest strengths in mixing practical and digital effects, and how do you go about balancing the two?   Janek Sirrs:My personal M.O. is to always start practically, and then build on that with digital work. That's the best way to keep things "honest". So in pre-production, my first take will be.... why can't be blow that up for real? Can the stunt actor do that action? I'd rather keep the VFX for the things that we know we can't do for real.     Question:The Whiplash suit looks more homemade or practical, what challenges were associated with that character in terms of VFX?   Janek Sirrs:The biggest challenge compared to (digital) character like Iron Man is that there's always an actor in there. If we don't like something about Iron Man's performance, ultimately we can change it. So dealing with Whiplash is more about working with the actor's performance, and how to maximize what we shot on film by supporting it with surrounding VFX work.     HTF Question:What are you currently working on - that you can share?   Janek Sirrs:It's round 2 of Marvel for me..... next up isThe Avengers. I'm obviously a glutton for punishment - one superhero isn't enough to deal with!     Question:Victoria, what attracts you as a producer to film's like Iron Man 2, rather than say a documentary or other film type?   Victoria Alonso:Our movies are about personal struggles and an overall sense of responsibility to the greater good. To me that is a life lesson. We should all try to be better and make sure the world around us is kinder.       Question:Victoria, having done Shrek previously, can you tell us specifically how the role of producer changes from an animated film to a live action like Iron Man 2? Did the experience with animation give you insight into digital effects in some way?   Victoria Alonso:Animated films have a longer schedule; when you have a certain amount of time to shoot the challenges are many; you don't get to wait until the next day when you only have a certain location for a specific amount of time. Animated films don't have to deal with being stranded somewhere because of weather issues; in live action you choose the lens for that shot and then you are married to that lens for the rest of the journey, so the pressure is high to make sure you get the right footage. Animated films give you the flexibility to change that without having to go back on location and reshoot. A lot of the producing challenges are the same--time money deadlines!     Question:Victoria, what on camera talent have you enjoyed working with most so far in your career and who would you like to work with in the future?   Victoria Alonso:I'd love to work with Johnny Depp and Judy Dench. Watching Gwyneth Paltrow nail every take has been a master class!     Question:Victoria, what do you think about superheroines? There seem to be more films made about male heroes, do you think the time is coming for more female heroes in the future?   Victoria Alonso:I would love to make a movie about a superheroine! The reason why there aren't as many is because unfortunately there have not been many films about them that are as successful as sayBatman orIron Man; I hope I am able to make one that changes that trend. It'd be great to empower little girls all over the world.     Question:Victoria, with all your experience in the digital world, do you think we have reached the sweet spot for digital or are there major changes coming in the near future?   Victoria Alonso:The sweet spot is a moving target--tomorrow will be sweeter!     Question:Janek, any final thoughts as we wrap-up the Iron Man 2 virtual roundtable?   Janek Sirrs:Thanks for all the questions. It's actually entertaining having to look back and examine why we made certain decisions, and how things turned out the way they were. I hope my answers were at least a teeny bit informative!     Question:Victoria, any final thoughts as we wrap-up the Iron Man 2 virtual roundtable?   Victoria Alonso:Thank you so much for all your interest in our film. We have been living the Iron Man experience now for almost 5 years and it has been a terrific project to be a part of. We hope to have your continued support as we launch THOR, CAPTAIN AMERICA and the AVENGERS. We are all working day and night to make sure your experience is a good one. Until the next one!  

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks