What's new

Roger Ebert reviving "At the Movies" on public TV (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In the latest twist, Roger Ebert has announced that he's bringing "At the Movies" back to public television. Chicago PBS affiliate WTTW, where "Siskel & Ebert" got their start, will produce the show. AP film critic Christy Lemire and former New York Times film critic Elvis Mitchell will host. Ebert himself will contribute segments using the computerized voice made from his old audio commentaries on a semi-regular basis. Online film writers Kim Morgan and Omar Moore will also contribute segments. The show is being produced by Ebert and his wife Chaz.

And yes, the thumbs will be returning.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Elvis Mitchell is a great choice. He's funny, charming, smart and very personable on The Treatment every week. Time to set the Tivo...

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
RUETERS.COM

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Legendary film critic and Twitter master Roger Ebert said he is reviving his classic half-hour review program "At the Movies" on the public broadcasting channel PBS.

Titled "Roger Ebert Presents At the Movies," the show will be hosted by Christy Lemire, film critic of The Associated Press, and Elvis Mitchell of National Public Radio.
Ebert noted that the series, whose long-running syndicated version was recently canceled, was returning to its public station birthplace.

The new program will launch on WTTW Chicago, just like the original incarnation of "At the Movies" (titled "Opening Soon at a Theater Near You") did in 1975.

"At the Movies" will bring back Ebert's copyrighted "Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down" rating device, which was removed from the syndicated program after Ebert left the show following a battle with cancer that left him unable to speak.

"This is the rebirth of a dream," Ebert wrote in a statement. "I believe that by returning to its public roots, our new show will win better and more consistent time slots in more markets.

"American television is swamped by mindless gossip about celebrities, and I'm happy this show will continue to tell viewers honestly if the critics think a new movie is worth seeing."
Ebert will act as co-producer along with his wife, Chaz Ebert. The show will debut in January. Ebert will employ a computer voice to appear on episodes under a segment titled "Roger's Office." He says he will not debate the two co-hosts. "They'll be awarding the Thumbs, and you can't have three Thumbs."

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm looking forward to this, and I hope all the PBS stations pick it up immediately.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Second that. I'll be there.

Full announcement and a video sampler at http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Crap, I had no idea someone beat me to this news. Have no idea why I'm perplexed when it comes to which category to put to some piece of news in on this site. Maybe, I need a cat scan, or something.

Anyhow, seriously looking forward to this. I just wish Roger could talk, hell, for that matter, I wish Gene Siskel was still alive and they were still doing their show. Always thought Roger was the more informed one when it came to film. Their show was a staple of my youth, and, man, ALL those PBS channels better be picking this up.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Excellent news! I was so depressed when the show ended last month./img/vbsmilies/htf/dance.gif

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fantastic news! And wonderfully appropriate that the show is returning to public TV.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After watching the sampler, it reminded me of an old adage. The one that states "you can't go home again". I've never been big on review shows, but Ebert and Siskel had a kind of rapport that none of these later people have.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
After watching the sampler, it reminded me of an old adage. The one that states "you can't go home again". I've never been big on review shows, but Ebert and Siskel had a kind of rapport that none of these later people have.

I don't believe the intent is to duplicate "Siskel & Ebert" but rather provide the a comparable forum for film criticism in a new format. While Lemire & Mitchell will wield the thumbs, they won't have to carry the entire enterprise on their shoulders the way Gene and Roger did. This new show looks to be a far more collaborative enterprise.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
So, he's gonna be on the Armed Forces Network? I don't think I even get that channel.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SWFF
So, he's gonna be on the Armed Forces Network? I don't think I even get that channel.
Most Americans that aren't serving in the US military don't. On December 14th, Ebert announced that the show would be moving forward without Elvis Mitchell on the AFN and over 100 PBS affiliates. The complete list as of 12/10 is available as a PDF, alphabetized by state with stations and air times. More stations have signed up since.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ I hope the same thing about the Pacific Northwest. As far as I can tell, not a single station in Oregon or Washington.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks