What's new

*** Official THE AMERICAN Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised to learn the director of the Joy Division movie Control has returned with a thriller starring George Clooney. I had the opportunity to see it at a preview screening today, and here is my review:

http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/the-dark-stillness-of-the-american/

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Saw The American Wednesday evening. It was ok. Wanted to connect emotionally with this but just really couldn't. Clooney is reasonably effective but I needed more. Lots of glances and stares etc....that do translate into his private unsatisfying life but needed more. It's very slow paced but that's not the issue. I love suspense and don't need more action; just needed a reason to care more.

I don't think The American will do that well at the Box Office. Think due to it's pacing and methodical approach it might play better at home. The Italy scenery is stunningly beautiful however. Wow. Some of those shots made me want to go there for a vacation one day.

A pretty generous 7/10.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Just read that Violante Placido/Clara is the daughter of Simonetta Stefanelli who was Apollonia in The Godfather. What a great looking woman.

I sort of liked the film, but really thought the scene of him putting the gun together and assembling the silencer from scratch was great.

What I really didnt like was the closing shot - I thought it was overly sappy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The American". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like this film, but didn't love it. I thought Clooney gave a really good performance and the cinematography was excellent, but I had a few problems with the script which downgraded my film grade.

Crawdaddy

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought this was a decent enough film. I've read some criticism with complaints that the film drags and/or is boring. The pacing was quite deliberate but it didn't feel like an hour and forty-five minutes had passed by the time the film ended. The type of filmmaking in this film reminded me of the original Day of The Jackal. I think the biggest drawback to this film was its predictability. There were really no surprises in the film and it became apparent pretty early on who the target was. I also thought the relationships in the film weren't given enough time to develop naturally which was surprising, considering the run time. The connection between the priest and Jack felt underdeveloped and shallow. It just never really went anywhere. Almost everything to do with the priest could be edited out and I doubt it would be missed. Still, I think this film was a nice change of pace from the type of action/thriller/crime story that normally gets made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks