What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Summer Hours (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Summer Hours (Blu-ray)

Directed by Olivier Assayas

Studio: Criterion
Year: 2008
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 103 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 French
Subtitles: English
MSRP: $ 39.95

Release Date: April 20, 2010
Review Date: April 12, 2010

The Film
4/5

A somber meditation on generational memory both personal and tangible, Olivier Assayas’s Summer Hours is a surprisingly gentle punch in the stomach. Like Teddy Roosevelt, it walks softly and carries a big stick, and it will leave a reflective viewer with much to ponder with great emotional residue after it concludes. This is one sneaky emotional wallop masquerading as a quiet domestic drama.

After the death of their mother (Edith Scob), three siblings Adrienne (Juliette Binoche), Frédéric (Charles Berling), and Jérémie (Jérémie Rénier) must decide what to do with her home (once the domicile of revered painter Paul Berthier) and many of the valuable artifacts contained within. Though all of them have fond memories of their lives there, their adult careers have taken Adrienne and Jérémie far, far away from Paris, far enough and busy enough that they can’t see holding on to a property they’d never be around to enjoy. Frédéric alone wants to retain the house and grounds and its possessions but can’t afford to buy out his brother and sister’s interest in their share of the estate, so decisions have to be made that run counter to what the mother had wanted for the legacy of her family.

Director Olivier Assayas’ script works on two levels: we have the domestic drama of the older brother trying to retain the family estate for the use of the family’s future generations, but more importantly, the screenplay offers quiet reflection on the loss of any personal connection to mementos and artifacts through each successive generation, a loss that becomes more genuinely emotional and personal as the family treasures go one by one to individuals or museums where the emotional connections are totally lost: existing only as sterile artworks to be viewed and enjoyed from a distance and then quickly forgotten. It’s a sobering, gut-churning realization that one’s prized legacy is being reduced over time to respectful insignificance, and Assayas makes this point repeatedly with clear, pensive, but deadly accuracy. Through much of the film, the camera is still or makes slow, careful movements around its protagonists, but when the third and last generation to enjoy the grounds takes over in the film’s final sequence, the camera is all over the place, jumping and slipping with the restless vivacity of youth, a last hurrah for the property to cast its spell over its legatees. 

Charles Berling as the brother with the strongest attachment to the property registers beautifully the conflicting emotions when the loss of the estate is evident. It’s a striking performance filled with pride, disappointment, joy, and anger as the moods evolve during the film. Juliette Binoche has less to do as the sister whose life has taken her to America while Jérémie Rénier shines in a couple of intense scenes with his brother. Edith Scob is only in the film’s opening half hour as the mother whose life is slowly winding down, still reflecting on her past loves and joys and resistant to change but she makes a vivid impression, and equally good is housekeeper Eloise played by Isabelle Sadoyan, a quiet but stubborn supporter of things past.

Video Quality
4.5/5

The film’s theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 is faithfully delivered in a 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. Its colors are never garish but instead are clear and precise, and sharpness, while occasionally just a speck shy of optimum in a couple of very noteworthy shots, is nicely delivered on the whole. Flesh tones are accurately and appealingly represented. There are no problematic digital artifacts to mar the presentation. The pale white subtitles are easy to read. The film has been divided into 17 chapters.

Audio Quality
4/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound mix is, like the video encode, relatively quiet and unassuming while maintaining a presence that’s unmistakably there even in its subtlety. There is occasional but gentle surround activity with street sounds (which at one point make Binoche’s English speaking scene a bit hard to hear) and country noises, but the rear channels go mostly silent for relatively long stretches of the film. Music is also occasionally filtered through the soundfield but again, this is sporadic as it seems to stay mostly in the front soundstage.

Special Features
3/5

Director Olivier Assayas is interviewed in a 2010 video feature which runs for 28 ¾ minutes. In it, he stresses his theme of the globalization of the family leading to their lack of interest in the past, the influences on his career, the genesis of the project with the aging and death of his own mother, the personal meanings the film holds for him, the location scouting for an appropriate house for shooting, and his various drafts of the script. It’s presented in 1080p.

A making-of documentary shot during the production of the film featuring the director working on staging and shooting scenes and featuring interviews with the director and stars Juliette Binoche and Charles Berling runs for 26 minutes and is presented in 1080i.

Inventory is director Olivier Goinard’s tribute to the treasures and artifacts which are one of the focuses of Summer Hours, especially those relics which were based on objects of art from the Musée d’Orsay reproduced for the film. Interviewed are Summer Hours director Olivier Assayas and several museum curators who discuss the pieces and also the impressive set of fictitious artworks by the fictional painter Paul Berthier used in the movie. It runs 50 ½ minutes and is in 1080i.

The enclosed 24-page booklet contains cast and crew lists, some lovely stills and behind-the-scenes shots from the movie, and a laudatory essay on the director and his movies by critic Kent Jones.

In Conclusion
4/5 (not an average)

Summer Hours will take you by surprise, a quiet but effective treatise on the loss of personal history through the passing generations filmed with a thoughtful but precise eye by a talented French director. The Blu-ray version of the film looks lovely and is enhanced with some interesting bonus features. Recommended!

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently watched the Criterion Summer Hours Blu for the first time & had the same issue that I've read others have had re: this Blu (though not on this site); right around the 48/51 minute mark (when the family is having the dinner & the initial discussion on what to do with their late mother's house & artwork) the disk freezes - and then after a while, skips forward to roughly the 63 minute mark. Awful. Terrible for it to happen to any Blu, but especially this one - since it's one of my favorite films.

Regarding the film itself: Summer Hours is a masterpiece. I first saw it several years back, and since then have made a point of watching it at least once a year. It's a film that, at least for me, doesn't lose any of it's strength & appeal over repeated viewings. One of SH's many strengths are the interior scenes of the house & surrounding natural scenery, which are visually stunning.

Appreciated the themes of: the importance of family & how globalization is breaking apart the family structure; importance of & obligation to the past; coping with loss; the ending of one generation & the beginning of the next.

Some of the most interesting scene(s) in the film where when the adult children (particularly Frederic, the oldest) was tasked with trying to decide what to do with his late mother's artwork/possessions. I see his point in wanting to keep the house & the artwork in the family, but I also see value in what he ended up having to do - i.e., selling the house & donating/selling the artwork to a museum - so that others could also enjoy the paintings/sculptures.

The passage of time re: the seasons was also brilliantly handled: The mother's birthday party at the beginning took place during the Summer, then it was late Fall/Winter after the mother passed & the house was put up for sale; Lastly, the granddaughter's final house party with her friends took place the following Summer - so, everything came full circle.

My favorite sequence in the film was the youthful party at the very end, which was quite poignant...I was quite moved by the final scene when the granddaughter & her bf are walking around the grounds of her grandmother's house (right before it's sold) where she briefly pauses to sadly remember her grandmother....Then, when she realizes that their friends may find them, is shaken back into the present & goes over the wall to hide from them, showing that life goes on & that you have to move on after a loss, no matter how difficult things are & how much you don't want to.

Last edited:

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
This film has a lot of emotional resonance with a more recent film, Call Me By Your Name.

Both of them deal with the fact that time does pass on and things change even though we can for a portion of time fool ourselves into thinking that things do not change. Both films show the seductive quality of the summer months, which, especially for the young, can be a time of endless days of fun and relaxation. Older people may know better but cling even more strongly to the illusion of the "endless summer".

Summer Hours is also important to me because of my love for everything French. This film is so much about preserving French culture and the lengths to which the French go to achieve this. While one can only admire the curation shown for the artifacts in the museum scene, it is also clear that the personal connection has, with time, been dimmed or erased.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
To add to my previous post, there was a real element of sadness when the elderly housekeeper went to the house (after the mother/grandmother had died) and tried to get in - but all the doors were locked...in preparation for the house being sold.

Summer Hours is also important to me because of my love for everything French. This film is so much about preserving French culture and the lengths to which the French go to achieve this. While one can only admire the curation shown for the artifacts in the museum scene, it is also clear that the personal connection has, with time, been dimmed or erased.

Exactly, which is the whole point of the ending scene when the museum tour guide brings a group by to view the donated pieces of artwork/paintings, and they are only superficially interested (if that).

However, I do agree with the decision by the family to donate the items to a museum & sell some of the other items. As was pointed out in the film, the paintings/artwork only had any kind of emotional resonance/nostalgia/connection to some members of the surviving family. It's also worth noting that, after the mother/grandmother died - if she had no surviving family members (or if they weren't as involved as they were in her life), the belongings would have probably ended up in a dump somewhere. The only reason they were preserved was because the son & other family members spent time & effort to donate - or sell - the items to an organization that was interested in preserving them...or setting it up so they could be sold to someone that was interested in preserving them.

One of the other many reasons I enjoyed the film was that it was very relatable. My elderly grandmother died a couple of years ago, and I remember feeling not only sadness, but the realization that this was the end of an era. This comes across extremely well in the film - especially during the ending house party scene with the granddaughter & her friends.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks