What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: Perry Mason: Season 5, Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
[COLOR= black]

Perry Mason: Season 5, Volume 1[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]
Directed by Arthur Marks et al

Studio: CBS/Paramount
Year: 1961
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Running Time: 764 minutes
Rating: NR
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 mono English
Subtitles: CC[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]MSRP:[/COLOR][COLOR= black] $ 49.99[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]
Release Date: April 20, 2010[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]Review Date:[/COLOR][COLOR= black] April 4, 2010[/COLOR]

The Series
4/5

Perry Mason reached the zenith of its popularity in this, its fifth year on the air. For the season, it ranked as the fifth most popular program on television. By this point in its nine year run, viewers had become comfortable and welcoming with its combination of murder mystery, courtroom give-and-take, and the rock solid precision of its superb cast. Though the show may have been formulaic in its structure, there’s no denying that intriguing stories, thoughtful acting, and reliable production values continued to keep it near the top during the 1961-1962 season.

Raymond Burr’s definitive performance as Earl Stanley Gardner’s fictional defense attorney had already garnered him two previous Emmys. He’s always commanding, rarely flustered, and even occasionally playful in the courtroom in a performance that’s always enjoyable to revisit. Barbara Hale’s Della Street is loyalty personified while William Hopper’s Paul Drake isn’t often shown doing his sleuthing for Perry, but he usually makes the most of his limited screen time. William Talman and Ray Collins, almost always the opposition for Perry and continually frustrated by Perry’s success rate with his cases, prove to be wonderfully irascible antagonists for another season of murder cases. In some shows during the season, Perry has a paralegal named David Gideon (Karl Held) who seems to do some of Perry’s legwork. Lieutenant Anderson (Wesley Lau), less combative than Lt. Tragg but just as dogged, occasionally replaces Tragg in the investigations.

The formula is unflinchingly familiar: we’re introduced to a group of people, one of whom ends up murdered, and the person accused of the crime comes to Perry for help in his defense. Usually despite overwhelming evidence against the accused person, Perry puts the evidence and courtroom testimony together to trap the guilty party in either lies or hidden information which usually leads to a confession on the stand or occasionally in the courtroom gallery. A coda finds Perry, Della, and Paul (and sometimes the innocent parties) detailing the unknown information which led Perry to his eventual solution to the puzzle. Unlike Murder She Wrote which always provided for the audience the revealing clue to solve the mystery hidden in plain sight, Perry Mason doesn’t provide all the clues ahead of time (like the fictional attorney, the most damning evidence is usually saved for a last-minute reveal in court) making that revelatory coda necessary for the audience to see how Perry put it all together.

Television programs of this vintage carry with them the possibility of seeing unusual guest stars either at the beginnings of their careers or well into them. In these fifteen episodes, we find an impossibly young James Drury and the veteran Cheerio Meredith in individual episodes. Others noted in passing during these marvelous mysteries are Denver Pyle (two separate appearances), Parley Baer, Leslie Parrish (two separate appearances), Ben Cooper, Constance Towers (who sings three songs in her episode with no editing of them), Tommy Noonan, Victor Sen Yung, Roy Roberts, Jackie Coogan, Sue Ann Langdon, Gloria Talbot, Eleanor Parker, Kent Taylor, Paul Smith (two different episodes), Frank Cady (playing twins), Virginia Gregg, Stuart Erwin, George Macready, Raymond Bailey, Alejandro Rey, Barbara Pepper, Ed Nelson, Dabbs Greer, Les Tremayne, Strother Martin, Elvia Allman, Frank Overton, Dick Foran, DeForest Kelley, Gerald Mohr, Alan Hale, Jr., Philip Ober, J. Pat O'Malley, Robert Lowery, Harry Carey, Jr., and Bruce Bennett..

Here are the fifteen episodes that make up volume one of the fifth season’s episodes:

1 – The Case of the Jealous Journalist
2 – The Case of the Impatient Partner
3 – The Case of the Missing Melody
4 – The Case of the Malicious Mariner
5 – The Case of the Crying Comedian
6 – The Case of the Meddling Medium
7 – The Case of the Pathetic Patient
8 – The Case of the Traveling Treasure
9 – The Case of the Posthumous Painter
10 – The Case of the Injured Innocent
11 – The Case of the Left-Handed Liar
12 – The Case of the Brazen Bequest
13 – The Case of the Renegade Refugee
14 – The Case of the Unwelcome Bride
15 – The Case of the Roving River

Video Quality
3.5/5

The original broadcast aspect ratio of 1.33:1 is faithfully reproduced in these new transfers. Although for the most part, the images are sharp and clear and feature a very accurate grayscale rendering with sharp (only occasionally crushed) blacks and pure whites, there seems to be a bit more dirt and debris on these images than on those of the past two seasons I’ve reviewed. There’s still slight moiré patterns to be glimpsed in the light plaids of some of the men’s jackets, and, of course, the stock footage used for views of harbors, airports, and the like is always soft and streaked with thin scratches. Still, for programs that are almost fifty years old, they look very good. Each episode has been divided into 8 chapters.

Audio Quality
3/5

The Dolby Digital 2.0 audio track is decoded by Prologic properly into the center channel. The mix of heavy dialogue, music, and sound effects into the mono track is typical for its era, and you won’t be surprised by the low fidelity offered here. There is a slight hiss which persists on the audio tracks though it’s only noticeable in scenes that are very quiet. Otherwise, in a show where talking constitutes the majority of the audible sound, you’ll undoubtedly hear everything clearly.

Special Features
0/5

There are no bonus features with the set.

There were promo trailers for Mannix, Cannon, Jake & the Fatman, Walker Texas Ranger, and Mission: Impossible.

In Conclusion
3.5/5 (not an average)

Another box of very entertaining Perry Mason episodes makes its way to fans. No bonus features are pretty much par for the course now for these releases, but at least the shows themselves look generally clean and are very watchable. Recommended!

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Matt! Glad to hear that the high quality A/V continues.

It's no secret that PM is my "grail" show and I'm grateful that CBS/P has continued the releases past the midway point. The slow pacing of the releases is a bit annoying (it will be 2014 before the final season is released at this pace) and with the demise of the Syndication Bible we no longer can keep track of the restoration efforts. Had PM been released in full season sets (like Five-0, Mannix, Mission Impossible, etc.) we would have been done by now!

Berkshires

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
[SIZE= 12px]Perry Mason is my grail show, too. Earlier volumes had been released on a June/December schedule, so when an April release date was announced for Season 5 Volume 1, I wondered if Paramount had decided to quicken the pace of releases to three per year rather than two. But now here we are in July and there hasn't even been an announcement for Volume 2.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]I hope this series hasn't become another casualty of the recession. [/SIZE]

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Seems like after the release of Hawaii Five-0: Season 9, there's no classic tv sets announced by CBS DVD. They better be holding back until the post-new show releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey3rd

Seems like after the release of Hawaii Five-0: Season 9, there's no classic tv sets announced by CBS DVD. They better be holding back until the post-new show releases.

I'd say you are correct that we've hit a slowdown right now with CBS/P classic releases. It will pick back up for the last quarter of the year though. From October thru December I'm confident will see continuations of some of the shows we've been wondering about (Fugitive, Untouchables, Matlock, Mannix, Gunsmoke, Cannon, HGWT, Bonanza and a few others). Of course, this is all just my opinion and should not be taken as a statement of fact.

Gary "wish CBS/P would surprise me with more Rawhide, but I doubt it" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I am not too concerned about Perry Mason continuing and am very confident we'll see S5 v2 being released before the end of the year. PM has always had a very loyal following and has been a staple of home video and syndication over the years. My main concern now is whether the fan base will still be around by the time S9 gets released.

It's times like this though that I really miss having access to the Paramount syndication website; if S6 has been transferred to HD that would be a sure sign of a DVD release.

Perhaps our "insider" member from Paramount can provide some clues to the Case of the Remaining Four Seasons.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve...O

There's no doubt in my mind we will see S5, V2 by the end of the year too, Steve. When it comes to classic TV shows that CBS/P owns and releases, I've got to believe that Perry Mason is right at the top of the list for the company in terms of popularity and sales. If any vintage series is going to continue to be released it has to be this one.

Having said all that, I know that every company can see their long term dvd release schedule change at the drop of a hat. Sets that were scheduled for release down the road can be pulled. It's happened many times already and unfortunately it will surely happen again. So even if we had a rep or insider from CBS/P come on here and tell us that the company does indeed plan on releasing the rest of the series, one season at a time, over the next 4 years, that can change. What they plan on doing today can get dropped tomorrow. Unfortunately we just never know for sure, even if the reps have any given show on their long term schedule. Things do change, so I think we have to take these series one year at a time - at best. In other words, I do believe that if any Volume 1 is released during the first half of the year we can be pretty sure the subsequent Volume 2 will get a release later that same year.

Ultimately I believe all we can do is cross our fingers and hope that the dvd industry in general remains strong enough for another four years so that PM can be released in its entirety.

Gary "this series has consistently been a pleasure to watch on dvd" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Never has CBS/Paramount pulled a Fox and left a season hanging in mid-stream so even if the show were to get abandoned altogether, they'd still release V2 of S5.

If they don't get it announced soon, "Ironside" is liable to be close to getting caught up with them for Burr shows with the most seasons out! :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

Never has CBS/Paramount pulled a Fox and left a season hanging in mid-stream so even if the show were to get abandoned altogether, they'd still release V2 of S5.

Absolutely agree. We are going to get Perry Mason S5, V2 before the year is out. Take that one to the bank.

Gary "I do wish CBS could speed these releases up - maybe 4 volumes per year" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth

Gary "I feel confident TVShowsonDVD.com will give us some good news pretty soon" O.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
You've also got the tv movies. I certainly hope that they would look at releasing the y moies at some point. I also wonder if I am ever going to see them all released and the remaining episodes..

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary OS /forum/thread/299520/htf-dvd-review-perry-mason-season-5-volume-1#post_3711511

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Gary - thanks for your thoughtful and well reasoned post. I'm sure the majority of the membership understands and appreciates exactly where you are coming from.

FrancisP - releasing the post series movies is something CBS/P would likely look into if it made financial sense to do so. Personally, I prefer that they wait until after all of the main series is released.

Here's my wish: CBS/P has released a number of titles over the past year or so that didn't work out and are likely 1 and done or 2 (or 3) and done. Rather than come up with other titles to "throw at the wall to see if it sticks" I'd rather that they focus their short term efforts on finishing up their series that are doing well; perhaps even accelerating some of the releases. Let's get Hawaii Five-0 finished off and why not switch Mason to full season sets for S6 - S9 (and release two seasons per year)?

Risky titles like Barnaby Jones and Cannon would have potentially done better if they weren't competing with so many other releases from CBS/P. The target audience for a lot of these releases, regardless of genre, consists of the same people. Very few of them can afford to support all of these releases.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^^

Gary, thanks for the post. Some of us here know the reasons

Steve, I second that suggestion, studios possibly focusing on completing numberous partially-released shows and speeding up their release schedules. Good idea.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
With Perry Mason sets, we have stayed with it for four and a half seasons, which is amazing. I do not mind that there are no extras on the sets; that's what the 50th Anniversary set was for. Let's just get them out there.

Also, I am thrilled that it is selling well with the economy in the tank. It's a good series with good storytelling and I hope Season 5 Volume 2 comes out soon.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth
With Perry Mason sets, we have stayed with it for four and a half seasons, which is amazing. I do not mind that there are no extras on the sets; that's what the 50th Anniversary set was for. Let's just get them out there.

Also, I am thrilled that it is selling well with the economy in the tank. It's a good series with good storytelling and I hope Season 5 Volume 2 comes out soon.

Ditto on that. I hope we get this one completed.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Steve, as usual, brings great points to the discussion. All I can add to his post above is A-M-E-N.

Gary "boy I hope this series somehow gets finished" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks