What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: Analyze This/Analyze That - Double Feature (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw

Double Feature
[COLOR= #ff0000]analyze this[/COLOR]
analyze that

Studio: Warner Bros
Film Years: 1999, 2002
Film Length: 103mins, 96mins
Genre: Comedy

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Colour/B&W: Colour

BD Specifications: 1080/24p

Audio:

[COLOR= #000000]English DTS 5.1 Surround[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #000000]French, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]English SDH[/COLOR][COLOR= #000000], Francais, Espanol[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #000000]

Release Date: AVAILABLE NOW

[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]Paul Vitti (Robert De Niro) is one troubled mob boss. His best friend is murdered and the life of a mobster is starting to affect his happiness and his outlook on life. When psychologist Ben Sobel (Billy Crystal) accidentally rear-ends one of Vitti’s men and exchanges his business card, Vitti later walks in on one of Sobel’s sessions and politely demands that he clears his schedule for him.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]Unfortunately for Sobel, Vitti turns out to be a high-maintenance client with “family problems” who has a fear of getting wacked like his buddies. He interrupts Ben’s vacation, his wedding(s), and any other moment that puts Ben in the most awkward situation. I guess he isn’t used to mob life when people are being tossed out of windows during a wedding ceremony. These all-too obvious connections with Vitti have the FBI interested in Sobel as he tries to readjust this crying gangster and put him in a better place.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]Analyze This[/COLOR] [COLOR= #000000]has funny and memorable quotes and moments that make this film a keeper. In my opinion its sequel, Analyze That, fails to deliver the same and feels like an unfocussed film in comparison with a few laughs here and there. The sequel begins with Vitti being released from Sing Sing into the custody of Sobel. While Vitti looks to Sobel for help, he sees that Ben is also in need of some serious help with his family matters![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]PICTURE QUALITY: Analyze This 3/5 [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #000000]PICTURE QUALITY: Analyze That 4/5 [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]These films come to Blu-ray looking much the same way they did on DVD except having the resolution of high definition. Detail is plentiful, black levels are deep and brightness is what’s expected. Film grain is intact and there doesn’t appear to be any extra artefacts plaguing the picture. Analyze That, while only being three years newer, betters the first film in almost every way. My biggest complaint about the first film is its orange hue. Skintones look unnatural unless one has been tanning with the latest off the shelf spray-on tanner. Or maybe it’s just that Florida forecast turning everyone into leather. The aspect ratio is 1.85:1.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]SOUND QUALITY: Analyze This 4/5 [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #000000]SOUND QUALITY: Analyze That 4/5 [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]The case erroneously labels the audio as Dolby TrueHD when in fact it is DTS-HD Master Audio. The 5.1 soundtrack for both films are equal in experience. There is some notable resolution in the original recording that actually gives the impression of space in the environments on screen without sounding too dull and flat as many soundtracks tend to be. Dialogue is integrated well and sometimes surrounded by a bit of noise. The jazz/crooners music is stand-out and horns seem to play unrestrained. The soundtrack is one of the many things I like about these films and it’s great to finally hear them without any loss of detail.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]SPECIAL FEATURES: ZERO/5[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]Not a single special feature on this disc, unless you consider the “double feature” status of this disc a special. Dropped from the DVDs are the De Niro/Crystal commentary and director’s commentary. Also gone are the gag reels, and The Making of Analyze That.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]IN THE END…[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]While the sequel may not be my favourite of the films, I feel the value added by having it available on the same disc as Analyze This makes it worth keeping should I ever want to revisit the title again. Robert De Niro and Billy Crystal work well in these films and now the entertainment can be had in high def. If you don’t own these films but want to, these discs would be the first ones to pick up. If upgrading your DVDs you’ll need to decide if you can give up the Crystal/De Niro/director commentaries for the lossless audio and high definition video. Is HD enough to retire your DVDs? I’m more of a movie man, so my answer is yes.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #000000]Mike Osadciw[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #000000]10.04.02
[/COLOR]

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've always enjoyed Analyze This and think it has solid "rewatchable" value. I never saw the sequel, but I will pick this up some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks