What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: THE PHANTOM (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

THE PHANTOM BLU-RAY

Studio: Lionsgate

Year: 1996

Rated: PG

Film Length: 1 hour, 41 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish

Release Date: February 9, 2010

The Movie

The Phantom is the theatrical adaptation of the long-running comic strip created by Lee Falk in the mid 1930s. The Phantom (Billy Zane) aka Kit Walker is the last in line of a long line of crime-fighters, each known as the Phantom, dating back to the 16th Century. Kit’s ancestor Christopher Walker was the victim of piracy on the high seas. After washing up on the tropical shores of Bengalla, Christopher swore an oath to fight piracy, greed, and injustice. Christopher did just that after fashioning a costume of black mask and purple spandex. (This may have influenced Bob Kane’s creation of Bat-Man several years later). Each son in succession has carried the mantle of the Phantom, leading his enemies to call him "the Ghost Who Walks" since they believe he is immortal.

Just as the present Phantom is reunited with the love of his life, Diana Palmer (Christy Swanson), events conspire to come between them as Diana crosses Xander Drax (Treat Williams), a wealthy industrialist on the search for 3 magical skulls which will give him immense power, unless the Phantom can stop him. Patrick McGoohan appears as Kit’s father, the previous Phantom, and Catherine Zeta Jones is on board as leader of the Sky Maidens, a group of female air pirates who are collaborating with Drax in his quest.

If this all sounds a little like Indiana Jones, it is intentional even though the Phantom comic strip preceded the creation of Indiana Jones by decades. Screenwriter Jeffrey Boam (The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.) was also the screenwriter of a little film entitled Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The tone and spirit of the Indiana Jones films is borrowed fairly well for this film, and the fact that the story takes place in 1938 furthers this intent. Director Simon Wincer (Lonesome Dove) does a fine job of creating the film imagery, and the screenplay is a loose adaptation of the Singh Brotherhood and Sky Maidens plotlines from the 1930s comic strips. The origins and functions of these mystical skull artifacts sought after by the bad guys are never explained adequately but The Phantom is one of those action films where the audience is never demanded to do too much thinking, and the story suffers the more you over-think it.

I remain fascinated that The Phantom seems to have more fans overseas than in the USA, even though the Phantom was created by an American. In Australia, the Phantom seems to be as popular as Batman is in the USA, yet most Americans are not as familiar with the Phantom as they are with the Batman. This may explain why The Phantom did not become a film franchise like Indiana Jones or the Batman films.

Video

The Phantom appears on Blu-Ray in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This is a fine transfer of the original film to high definition. Grain is present but minimal which is consistent with its appearance on the big screen in 1996. DNR and edge enhancement seem minimal to non-existent. Any digital processing seems minimal and consistent with the original presentation. Colors and flesh tones are appropriate and detail is excellent. As an example, the Phantom’s costume has a fine design that was virtually invisible on the previous DVD.

Audio

The English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is excellent. Discrete sound effects seem to come from every direction. The sounds of gunfire, aircraft, explosions, and the like create an immersive experience. The audio tracks similarly do good service to the film score by David Newman which enhances dramatic effect throughout the film. It is unlikely that The Phantom sounded this good in its original theatrical presentation in 1996.

Special Features

The special features are limited to the following:

Trailer (1:23): Theatrical trailer for The Phantom from 1996.

Also From Lionsgate (1:01): A brief commercial for other Lionsgate films available on Blu-Ray.

Bookmarks: Allows the viewer to return at will to selected portions of the film.

Conclusion

The Phantom is a better than average super-hero adventure come to life. Fans and purists will appreciate that this adaptation is very faithful to the mythology of the source material. The video and audio presentation are excellent. The lack of special features is disappointing, but at least a film trailer is included, since many Blu-Rays fail to include the trailers from the same film. If you like Indiana Jones or costumed crime-fighters without superpowers, then The Phantom on Blu-Ray is definitely worth checking out.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Thanks for the review, Timothy. I've always liked this movie. While it may not be a great movie, it is a fun action picture. I guess it reminds me of when I was a kid and would read The Phantom comic strip in the daily paper. Ah, memories. Anyway, I just ordered it from amazon for $12. Pretty good price for a pretty good movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mine came in today, look forward to watching it in HD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm a big fan, although after I read Bruce Campbell's If Chins Could Kill, I kept wondering what this film would have been like if they'd cast Bruce instead of Billy Zane.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm a huge Adventure movie fan, and I love the old Republic serials, but I had a hard time getting past the purple Phantom suit in this film. I know, I know its accurate for the comics. Anyway I'll have to give this one another try.

Doug

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I've always really enjoyed this movie. Based on your review of the AV quality its a no brainer to upgrade my DVD. Its interesting that my DVD is from Paramount and this is from Lionsgate.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Good review, Timothy.

I spot checked this BD today, and it's a vast improvement over the DVD, which was riddled with edge enhancement. Definitely worth a purchase if you like this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks