What's new

*** Official 2012 Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I just saw it, and I'd rate this as being closer to ID4 (a great popcorn film) than that film about snow.

Interestingly, Chiwetel Ejiofor took his role the most seriously. His scenes could have been from a serious film. And I admired that he brought that kind of performance to a role that maybe didn't deserve it. The rest of the cast (John Cusak et al) stepped back a bit from being totally realistic, but, Cusak does not disappoint.

(Other actors notes: The child who played his daughter commanded her character. The child who played his son, was pretty good. The wife, well Emmerich doesn't really know what to do with female characters, does he? The President's daughter was probably the only female character with more than a dozen lines, and she was good enough that I'll forgive her for bad-mouthing the Chronicles of Riddick when she was younger.)

There was in fact a storyline, contrary to advance reports from critics, and it made some kind of sense.

I doubt any of the film was original, but that's ok. I am a bit tired of the standard Art Bell-esque radio host character (who was also depicted in Spielberg's tv series "Taken", which I just watched), but in 2012 that standard character appears in the form of the often-delightful Woody Harrelson, so I'll allow it!

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I was out shopping with my daughter and we decided what the hell. ID4, The Day After Tomorrow, Deep Impact etc. just scatched the earth's surface compared to the destruction in this film. I thought most of the acting was decent. I agree with Will B regard Ejiofor's performance though I've loved him since seeing him in Kinky Boots. The visuals in this movie were just stunning. When I went to see this I was expecting to see a dumb disaster movie and I got alot more than what I expected. Good popcorn movie. This would have been perfect in the summer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "2012". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The movie is pretty exciting but, even with expectations firmly in check, the script is bad enough that the biggest hack writing Mexican telenovelas would laugh it. In all fairness, the only thing that most people seeing this are going to care about are the special effects and the action sequences and they're very, very good. If you just want to see some good action, I think you'll enjoy the movie. If you want to see a movie that had a thought put into it, save your money.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thought it ran a little long with a saggy mid-section, but most of the money shots of the catastrophic mayhem delivered in spades. The various groups of characters used to represent humanity in its darkest hours do a yeoman's job to keep the audience engaged, but not thoroughly. Plus the film relies on far too many coincidences when bringing together the different groups later in the film.

But if you're in the mood for some end-of-the-world spectacle, you won't be too disappointed.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I went and saw the film Saturday and have to say I just wasn't impressed after all the hype it received. It just seemed like another disaster film that lasted way too long. I'd say save your money and watch it on PPV or when it comes out on rental. I'd say 2 out of 5 stars for this film.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
It was too long and character development was zero but the visuals were very imprerssive. I teach HS Earth Science and although the science of the film was completely inane and implausible (as in all RE flicks), I was giddy during certain scenes. Great stuff. I found Emmerich's latest similar to 10,000 BC in that there were some missed opportunities and too much time spent on the impending tsunamis and characters we care little for. Not to mention that it basically ripped off Deep Impact in terms of plot and action beats. I'm just glad they did not actively pursue a remedy to the cataclysm through the use of nuclear weapons.

**/****

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Just watched this at home Wednesday night. I really wanted to like this, but sadly the task was made far too difficult by the storyline. Muddled, contrived and lazy all the way around. Safe yourself the bother and don't watch this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Story - D+
Visual depiction of mayhem and massive destruction - A+

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks